Home

Rookie Scouting

This is a discussion on Rookie Scouting within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
Fear The Spear

37's Arena

OVR: 31
Rookie Scouting

Why is that every time i scout draft prospects, most of the time the scouting report comes back negative such as *A notch below average, He may have his moments* or *You can do worse, but u can also do better*? Is this done intentionally or am i not scouting correctly?..I picked the best scout available for the positions im thinkin about drafting at (not to mention the most expensive) and im getting mostly negative feedback
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Rookie Scouting

(I realize this answers your question in a round about way, but I had the same question a week or two ago, and what I'm telling you and showing you helped me.)

Some of the higher overall prospects while good already have low potentials, other words they may be MLB ready or close to it, but they won't improve much.

Some of the lowest ones will and can be a A potential or B. This means while they "suck" right now, a few years in the minors and they'll be stars.

Really the little quotes are just hinting at thier potentials.

Click on my name and go to my arena and look at my one blog, a guy posted it on here and I saved it. I wish I remebered his name, maybe he'll see this post. Anyways you can figure out what their potentials are in the draft.

Remember a higher potential is more valuable than I highlly rated guy that won't improve. An A potential will be a future Ryan Howard, Pulojs, Heyward, Posey, etc.

Plus always draft for talent, high potentials or a B or C potential with a high overall, you can then trade for needs.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
Pro

Black59Razr's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveTiger
(I realize this answers your question in a round about way, but I had the same question a week or two ago, and what I'm telling you and showing you helped me.)

Some of the higher overall prospects while good already have low potentials, other words they may be MLB ready or close to it, but they won't improve much.

Some of the lowest ones will and can be a A potential or B. This means while they "suck" right now, a few years in the minors and they'll be stars.

Click on my name and go to my arena and look at my one blog, a guy posted it on here and I saved it. I wish I remebered his name, maybe he'll see this post. Anyways you can figure out what their potentials are in the draft.

Remember a higher potential is more valuable than I highlly rated guy that won't improve. An A potential will be a future Ryan Howard, Pulojs, Heyward, Posey, etc.

Plus always draft for talent, high potentials or a B or C potential with a high overall, you can then trade for needs.
Does manually scouting really make a difference? How much work does it take? I assumed it was as monontounos as managing your transportation or training. However, after seeing my "auto" team philosophy is spend 50% of my scouting program on RPs, and me wasting my 1st round pick on a D catcher, I am very interested in manually scouting.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
Fear The Spear

37's Arena

Quote:

Thanx to ur post, I have a better understanding about how the scouting process works but nowhere on the screen does it display a draftee's potential...all i see is the caliber of each prospect (I'm in Regional Scouting overlookin all 4 time zones)...Maybe u can direct me to where or what exactly i should be lookin at?....

Also since I was draftin solely on need, will that change anything as far as wanting to scout other prospects? Being that I hired scouts to scout a particular area and that the draft is right around the corner (I'm currently on May 27th in my franchise), I wouldn't think its ample time to change my scouting routine, no?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFatGirlz4Me37
Thanx to ur post, I have a better understanding about how the scouting process works but nowhere on the screen does it display a draftee's potential...all i see is the caliber of each prospect (I'm in Regional Scouting overlookin all 4 time zones)...Maybe u can direct me to where or what exactly i should be lookin at?....

Also since I was draftin solely on need, will that change anything as far as wanting to scout other prospects? Being that I hired scouts to scout a particular area and that the draft is right around the corner (I'm currently on May 27th in my franchise), I wouldn't think its ample time to change my scouting routine, no?
You cannot see the potential of the prospect until after he is drafted. Thats why you go through and scout them, I do it manually, I pay for the best scouts, they can do four at a time, I start at the top and wait til the player has 3-4 sentaces about them. Then I scout four more.

I then look at the my blog and find out their potentials, the game doesn't straight up tell you their potential until after they are drafted.

Best thing for you to do in your situation is manually control the scouting until the draft, you only have to change the players every 2-3 games. Try to get at least one A potential, there are usually only 5 or 6, the rest will be Bs around 10-15 then Cs and downwards.

Hope for the best, but after the draft you'll have a full year of scouting time, not just two months.

Last edited by BraveTiger; 05-27-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black59Razr
Does manually scouting really make a difference? How much work does it take? I assumed it was as monontounos as managing your transportation or training. However, after seeing my "auto" team philosophy is spend 50% of my scouting program on RPs, and me wasting my 1st round pick on a D catcher, I am very interested in manually scouting.
It's not tedious at all, just hire the top scouts for each region, that will allow you to scout 4 players out of each one at a time, I usually leave it on each player for a week, then move down the list, four at a time.

It usually only gets 2-3 sentaces each, I then look at the blog I have saved, look at it it will help, then you can figure out their potentials come draft time.

Last draft ( before I started over, game save corrupted because power went out) all of mine were D potentials except my last pick in round 10, he was an A but the worst overall. That was before I found this, now I will be able to draft informed rather than guessing.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
Fear The Spear

37's Arena

Quote:
You cannot see the potential of the prospect until after he is drafted. Thats why you go through and scout them, I do it manually, I pay for the best scouts, they can do four at a time, I start at the top and wait til the player has 3-4 sentaces about them. Then I scout four more.

I then look at the my blog and find out their potentials, the game doesn't straight up tell you their potential until after they are drafted.

Best thing for you to do in your situation is manually control the scouting until the draft, you only have to change the players every 2-3 games. Try to get at least one A potential, there are usually only 5 or 6, the rest will be Bs around 10-15 then Cs and downwards.

Hope for the best, but after the draft you'll have a full year of scouting time, not just two months.
One last question if i may...like i previously stated, since I hired scouts to scout certain positions, will i get the same scouting report if i use those same exact scouts to scout other positions? (Ex. a pitching scout scouting outfielders). I don't wanna sound like a cheapskate but I don't wanna use up more funds to hire different scouts if its really not necessary to
Old 05-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFatGirlz4Me37
One last question if i may...like i previously stated, since I hired scouts to scout certain positions, will i get the same scouting report if i use those same exact scouts to scout other positions? (Ex. a pitching scout scouting outfielders). I don't wanna sound like a cheapskate but I don't wanna use up more funds to hire different scouts if its really not necessary to

Yes, each one can scout all types of players, they just have a specialty. I always buy the four best scouts, usually costs me 8 to 9 million, but if your winning and have fan support of at least more than halfway, you will make that money back in no time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »