Home

ESPN To Televise UNC-Michigan State Game From Aircraft Carrier

This is a discussion on ESPN To Televise UNC-Michigan State Game From Aircraft Carrier within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-15-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31
ESPN To Televise UNC-Michigan State Game From Aircraft Carrier

Out of all the things they've done in sports (outdoor hockey, basketball at Ford Field, football at Wrigley, etc), this is by far the coolest.

The fact they're doing it on 11/11/11 aka Veterans Day makes it even more special. This will be a much watch for me.

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m...051311aaa.html

Quote:
ESPN has reached an agreement with the Morale Entertainment Foundation to televise Michigan State vs. North Carolina in the Carrier Classic 11-11-11, the first men's college basketball game to be played on the deck of a United States military aircraft carrier, on Friday, Nov. 11, at 7 p.m. ET. The United States military ship to host the unique Veteran's Day event honoring the men and women in the armed forces is to be determined but will be positioned in the San Diego harbor.

As part of the telecast, ESPN will televise a special halftime entertainment show and post-game concert organized by Morale Entertainment Foundation. Specific coverage plans for the Carrier Classic 11-11-11, featuring a rematch of the 2009 National Championship won by North Carolina, are being finalized. A basketball court with seating for approximately 7,000 fans will be constructed on the flight deck. The game will be played below the flight deck in the event of rain. Tickets will not be for sale.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: ESPN To Televise UNC-Michigan State Game From Aircraft Carrier

My first thought: awesome.

My second thought: what happens if, while trying to make a hustle play, a guy diving out of bounds for a loose ball dives onto the carrier tarmac (ouch asphalt burn) or worse flies off the ship? Do they have to fetch him from the ocean before the game continues? Must the coach substitute? Will they build temporary walls around the court to prevent this from happening?
Old 05-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
My first thought: awesome.

My second thought: what happens if, while trying to make a hustle play, a guy diving out of bounds for a loose ball dives onto the carrier tarmac (ouch asphalt burn) or worse flies off the ship? Do they have to fetch him from the ocean before the game continues? Must the coach substitute? Will they build temporary walls around the court to prevent this from happening?
First he won't get an asphalt burn. It will be a non-skid rash. Second, with non skid he wont slide off the ship see first. Third, they will have the guard up to keep people from falling OB. Lastly, there is plenty of room on the deck of a carrier especially if they use the one I think they are gonna use.

I'm a 10 year navy vet so obviously some of that stuff you wouldn't know. Hope I don't sound rude cause that isn't my intent at all just providing some answers to your concerns.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 05-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
First he won't get an asphalt burn. It will be a non-skid rash. Second, with non skid he wont slide off the ship see first. Third, they will have the guard up to keep people from falling OB. Lastly, there is plenty of room on the deck of a carrier especially if they use the one I think they are gonna use.

I'm a 10 year navy vet so obviously some of that stuff you wouldn't know. Hope I don't sound rude cause that isn't my intent at all just providing some answers to your concerns.

Not rude at all, I've never stepped on a carrier in my life (or even seen one in person) so I have no concept for how big they may actually be. Good to know that we won't see a man-overboard situation
Old 05-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

I just hope that the security is ultra tight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #6

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

Let's go Michigan State!
Old 05-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
I just hope that the security is ultra tight.
When a ship is in port there are usually 2-3 entry points with armed guards. The only way on is with a military ID. I'm sure there will be added measures. But its extremely hard to board a naval warship under normal circumstances.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 05-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
When a ship is in port there are usually 2-3 entry points with armed guards. The only way on is with a military ID. I'm sure there will be added measures. But its extremely hard to board a naval warship under normal circumstances.

I figured as much. But, given the current global landscape I hope that they beef things up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »