Home

I'm out my HITTING SLUMP and HERE'S WHY...

This is a discussion on I'm out my HITTING SLUMP and HERE'S WHY... within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Keys To Becoming a Good Hitter!

Edited and Updated! (June 25th, 2011)

I remodeled and revamped the entire OP (Instead of starting a new thread). After a second slump I turned to research of real baseball coaches, players advice and strategy to help build confidence again, and have fun hitting in The Show! I've starting using this research and it's already helped me self evaluate my poor at bats, reduce chases and strikeouts, and most importantly; get closer to the simple state of mind of "See the ball, Hit the ball".

If anybody wants something from the OP that I erased, I saved the info and still have it. But I did want to leave the first paragraph below as a sort of disclaimer. LOL.

*I figured that maybe this could be a helpful thread to serve a guideline of what mental techniques and approaches guys use to be successful in hitting... I don't claim to be a guru of hitting, that is the farthest from the truth, but I am an athletic coach in real life and enjoy teaching progression, goals, and guidelines that help guys get better. In my OP, I will try to keep explanations concise and as short as possible. But each topic can be talked about in more length. Hopefully guys might have interest in some of the topics which will lead to some really good conversations.*

---------
The Starting Point - To Be a Good Hitter You Must Do These 3 Things!

1. Recognize the pitch
  1. Find where the pitch is being released. First look at the pitcher or a spot in the background of the stadium. You will need to have your eyes in that vacinity, when the pitcher starts his motion. Make sure to see the release point of the pitchers hand as soon as he throws it. This will be the beginning of pitch recognition and the sooner and longer you can see the baseball, the more it will help you. Don't get distracted or forget this step. You must see the ball being released every time. Make this a habit.
  2. Trust your Right Side of Your Brain. Most Likely it's Right!. Realistically you will need to try to pick up as much info as you can while the ball is during its first half of flight. Even though the great ball players can see the ball longer (until up 5 feet before the plate). But understand, no player can have a true analytical process during this time. You don't have enough time to do it. You have to use the right side of your brain and it becomes more of feel and recognition of a pitch you saw before. This is why Ted Williams always said "Never swing at a pitch you haven't seen before". From recall you will know the velocity, how much it will break and where it's going to break.
2. Hitting is Timing
Timing is the most important factor that will get you solid hard base hits. Just as important to getting base hits, good timing is the only way you can still hit balls out of the strike zone, which is very important in 2 strike counts. If you have poor timing and you will miss and strike out a lot.

Once you recognize the pitch type you will have to time the swing

1. Faster than normal - Those 95mph guys who throw Gas!
2. Normal - Low 90 fastball
3. Very slight hesitation – Mid 80's stuff - 2 Seamers, Sinkers, and Sliders
4. Hesitation –70's Stuff - Curve Ball and Slow Changes

If you noticed, this timing concept is based off timing the fastball and react to the breaking and change balls
. You can't catch up to a fastball but you can slow down for a change up. Basically you will need to use your hesitation or "keep your hands back" reaction to hit the slow stuff. You also will be forced to change your timing trigger for different pitchers (starters game by game and relievers in the same game). This is why the timing drill in the batting cages is the most important drill to do. Use different pitchers, different batters and learn how to adjust and vary your timing trigger.

3. Visualize your pitch and Think Yes, Yes, Yes (No) on every Pitch!
Go into every pitch thinking "I’m going to be swinging and hit the ball". This has to be what you're thinking on every pitch! As you start your leg kick and you see the release point, you are thinking Yes, Yes or Swing, Swing.... and your final YES as you start your swing and IF the pitch is where you want it (in the strike zone or where you want it). The only thing that changes your thought of Yes, Yes, YES would be a Yes, Yes, NO response because you saw the pitch its not where you want it (out of the strike zone or your hot zone), so you hold back your swing and watch the pitch go by. So in other words, you're anticipating a strike on every pitch during your leg kick and only choosing not to swing at the last moment. Note that some pitches way out of the zone you can cancel your thoughts of swinging sooner (for example a low and outside fastball is easy to cancel early). But overall, if you don't do this and look for pitches to be balls FIRST and try to react to the STRIKES, you will always be late!

Check out this you tube of this youth coach talking about this concept ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTNzuLlBjbw

------------

Update June 23rd, 2011

Approach at the plate____________________________________

The 0-0 count

There are two schools of thought about this pitch. Some of the great hitters adopt the position that they want to look at the first pitch. See what the pitchers got. Get a gauge for his speed, etc. Their thought process is that if hitting is timing they will be in a better position to time their swing.

Another approach which I think is good for guys deeper in the lineup or any batter later in the game is swing on the first pitch. Pitchers are instructed to get ahead in the count! "First pitch, first strike, first out", “Get ahead, then you can nibble” are what most pitching coaches are preaching. Because of this philosophy most first pitches are going to be "good pitches to hit." If that’s the case then treat the 0-0 pitch like a 2-0 pitch. Look for a fastball in your "zone." If you get it. . .smash it. Swing hard at this pitch and maybe even aim for the fences. If you miss it, it’s 0-1 and you have two strikes left. If the pitch is not to your liking, let it go by. Plus, you had a chance to "look" at one to see what the pitcher has, you just choice not to swing at it. Very often the first pitch in an at-bat is the best pitch you will see, so why not swing. If you live by the philosophy to always "take" that pitch, guess how many times you will start out 0-1? A lot. Pitchers are not dummies. If you show a tendency, believe me they will try to exploit it.

Because there is always a counter reaction to every strategy, eventually you will be known for crushing the first pitch fastball, so two things will happen.

1) They won’t give you a very good pitch to hit very often. Which means you will probably be ahead in the count 1-0 (depending on the umpire, or the quality of the pitch).
Or
2) Two, you will see plenty of breaking and off-speed pitches on the first pitch. Which, again, the smart hitter can adjust to if he wishes and start looking breaking ball on 0-0.

Overall, using the philosophy of looking for that meatball on 0-9 I have gotten about 2-3 more hits per game off first pitch, pitches. It feels so good to grove a pitch right back up the middle to start off an at bat.

-----

Update June 25th, 2011

The Hitters Count (When You're Ahead In the Count)____________________________________________ ____

1. If you are in a (1-0, 2-0, 2-1, 3-0, 3-1) count, you are in a “hitters going count” and should be looking for that "good pitch to hit."
  1. Look Something in your favorite area of the plate that you usually hit hard. Knowing "your pitch" with each player is crucial in this situation. If you have no idea where in the strike zone he likes it best, then you cannot take advantage of the "hitter’s count" situations.
  2. I would suggest to turn on the strike zone with the hot zones on, so you can remind yourself. Honestly, I bet these are the situations that most gamers who are struggling - DON’T handle properly.
  3. No more than a month ago, I used to tell myself "okay I’m swinging to matter what” or It has to be a “fat fastball right now the middle”. Well, maybe my batter likes the ball middle in? Or maybe he likes it on the outside half?
  4. And don’t just look fastball; it could be a hanging slider if that’s the pitchers best pitch.
2. But in general, it is good to know that these "hitter’s counts" are not only ideal situations to look for a ball in a certain area, but are what are known as "fastball counts."
The pitcher does not want to risk throwing another ball and falling further behind in the count. So, you will usually get a fastball in these counts. If you know you are likely to get a fastball, your likelihood for success skyrockets. Remember "hitting is timing".

3. In addition, there is a higher chance that fastball is going to be "fatter" (thrown more to the center of the strike zone).
  1. Because (as earlier stated) the pitcher does not want to give you a base on balls.
  2. These are pitches you should be able to hit to all parts of the ballpark with authority.
  3. Be aware that on the 1-0 count, although you are ahead, it is early and the pitcher may take a chance with a different pitch. Or he may throw a fastball to a certain location.

4. Pitchers that have great control of a variety of pitches and may be willing to risk throwing something other than a fastball on a "fastball count."
  1. This is called pitching backwards. It is called this because, naturally, it is the opposite of what is expected in the given situation. Good pitchers rely on these counts to get an easy offspeed or curve ball over the plate.
  2. If you've been paying attention to the pitcher's tendencies during the game you might want to "look" for a backwards approach. The pitch generally thrown is that particular pitcher’s "best" pitch or the one he has the most confidence in (so pay attention to that during the game if you don’t have the confidence bars on).
  3. However, studies show that a fastball is still the most likely pitch, especially with relievers.
Knowing all that, in summary;
  1. Remember that a large part of hitting is timing, you should look for a particular pitch "Your Pitch in Your Location".
  2. If you get anything else, let it go by.
  3. When people say be patient at the plate. This is most important time to do it. DON'T CHASE in THIS SITUATION! Waiting for your pitch!
  4. At the very worst the umpire will call it a strike and you deal with the next count.
  5. Note there are times in these counts where you might want to use a different approach with runners on base. This will be discussed later.
Updated 6/30/11

No Man Land Count (0-1 / 1-1)

I call these counts no man's land because neither the pitcher or the hitter has an outright advantage. Pitchers will nibble and hitters will still try to be selective. So from a hitters prospective:
  1. If you are even in the count 1-1, or down 0-1, you can continue to look for "your pitch", and be willing to take a strike if not something you like.
  2. Or, if you are uncomfortable with 2 strike counts... you might adopt a different mind-set. You may wish to approach these counts with the idea that you are going to hit the ball if it catches lot of the plate any where and maybe even stay back on the ball and hit it "the other way." One reason for this approach is that you will naturally track the ball a fraction of a second longer, giving you more time to decide if the pitch is going to be a strike. Additionally, this approach gives you the ability to hit pitches away from you, or on the "outside corner" of the plate.
  3. Just know, that pitchers like to nibble with borderline pitches to see if batters will chase them. If they do, the pitcher is in control. If not, he has to adjust. Pitchers generally like to nibble on the outside of the plate as that is the most difficult pitch to learn to hit. Pitchers with good control will "come inside" to set up something "outside" on the next pitch
------------------

Pitchers Count (2 Strike Counts)

In the Hole (0-2, 1-2)

Once you have two strikes on you it is imperative that you take a "battling" mind-set. This is "war" between you and the pitcher. Do not give the at-bat away just because you have 2 strikes.

1. No longer look for Your Pitch. Cut down on your swing, keep your head still, and intensely track the ball the moment it leaves the pitcher’s hand.
  2. Your goal is to "get a piece of it" if it is anywhere close to the strike zone. If you hit it fair. . . fine. If it’s a real tough pitch in a tough location. . .foul it off. The more pitches you make the pitcher throw in these situations, the greater your advantage. The pitcher cannot remain perfect. Sooner or later he is going to make a mistake and throw you a good ball to hit.
  3. The more pitches you make him throw, the more fatigued he becomes, which may lead to more mistakes. Don’t let the umpire decide, keep battling. Many a hitter has been called out on a third strike that was "close." Don’t risk it. Keep battling. Chances are you will get a better pitch to hit. This is "two strike" hitting, or "protecting the plate," a totally different approach than when you are ahead in the count.
Even or Full Count (2-2,3-2)

1. A pitcher might challenge you, especially if you aren’t a slugger. If they do it’s a going to be a strike with probably their best pitch.
  2. If you are not a slugger, you might still get a pitch on the black but not guaranteed to be their best pitch. They could be trying to fool you, so beware that the pitch could miss wide if they don’t have good control

Advanced Method at the Plate

“Guess Early” and then use the “Two Pitch" Approach

Every felt like you're always one step behind at the plate? Like the pitcher always throws the opposite pitch you're looking for. Well, I came up with a idea that will make you feel like you have a chance to jump all over one and maybe be a step ahead of the pitcher.

One of the hardest things is face a pitcher who has good stuff and throws the ball 95+ and a good breaking ball with 10+ MPH differentials. It’s a challenge to keep your timing for the fastball but also recognize breaking balls and somehow slow yourself down during mid-flight.

I feel like to combat the batters timing dilemma, an alternative is to "mentally guess" your pitch in the first two pitches of an at bat. (This not using the guess pitch feature in the game).

1. For example, first pitch look for a fastball. If you think it's a fastball swing away! If it happened to be a change up and you missed; tell yourself it's okay, I was guessing.
  2. Another example, you just got a breaking ball called a ball just missing the outside corner... On the second pitch, guess fastball. If get something that looks like fastball, swing away.
On pitch 3 and after, think about two pitches you think you might see. Then turn off you're "left side of your brain" and just react and hit.

1. I have found myself a much better hitter later in the count when I thought about two pitches I will most likely see first, and when the ball is thrown, I'm not surprised to see one of the two. So instead of a reactionary hitting it's more like a responsive hitting.
Overall, this method can improve your chances to maybe crush one early or just be more responsive later in the count. Also, it really does help you pay attention to any patterns by the pitcher during the course of the game.

--------------

Overall Summary of "How I got out of my hitting slump..."
  1. Found my perfect custom camera's (http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ball-best.html)
  2. See the ball from the release point
  3. Recognize the pitch while in flight
  4. Time your swing
  5. Hit "What you Want" until you have two strikes
  6. Hit "What you Can" after two strikes
  7. If the pitcher confidence is high - Guess Early and Respond Late
----

Update 7/5/11

Added a link to a PDF document which has the entire 1st post. If anybody is interested in downloading it, its:

http://www.4shared.com/document/RGIE...d_Hitting.html

Last edited by Geronimo22; 07-05-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: I'm out my HITTING SLUMP and HERE'S WHY...

I just been breaking out of my slump to.... But i am more agressive swinging on 2-0 counts etc
Old 05-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

when do u swing? like as soon as u see the ball or what?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
when do u swing? like as soon as u see the ball or what?
No, I never swing as soon as soon I see the ball... Because I'm looking at the ball as soon as it leaves the pitchers hand, I feel like I have more time to look at the pitch (more time to wait). On hitters counts, I try to pull the ball or hit it right back up the middle. Pitchers count, I try to sit on the ball and hit it up the middle or opposite field (really late swings). I know the pitcher on pitchers counts are going to try get me out, with some change in the dirt or some high cheese.

If I swing as soon as I see the pitch leave his hand, I know I'm OFF and that was a bad thought process. I'm not perfect it does happen from time to time (when the wife is talking to me or something in the room gets my attention away from the game).

I'm working on keeping a mental track of how many BAD at bats I have in a game (at bats where I feel like I strike out because of poor thought process) . I feel like if I less than 5 in a game, I played a good game. Win or lose.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...nZfJyNmp9ygGgt

NFL Breakdowns Full YOUTUBE Playlist

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...7pkV4SPk0JkvcD
Old 05-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Pro

timmuh1515's Arena

OVR: 5

i'm doing okay with hitting...but not great by any means. I think my issue is that i'm too patient. I almost always take the first pitch and if it's a ball i very likely take the second.

At the same time...i rarely draw walks which is what i'm hoping to do by taking so much.

I know a big part of my issue is that i'm in front of everything. Fastballs, changeups...etc...i miss a lot of good pitches by fouling them off because i'm early.

When i'm able to let the ball get a little further into the zone i have more time to read it ball/strike and make better contact. It is a work in progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmuh1515
i'm doing okay with hitting...but not great by any means. I think my issue is that i'm too patient. I almost always take the first pitch and if it's a ball i very likely take the second.

At the same time...i rarely draw walks which is what i'm hoping to do by taking so much.

I know a big part of my issue is that i'm in front of everything. Fastballs, changeups...etc...i miss a lot of good pitches by fouling them off because i'm early.

When i'm able to let the ball get a little further into the zone i have more time to read it ball/strike and make better contact. It is a work in progress
As for walks, I only expect to draw walks off pitchers that have low BB/9 ratings. Otherwise, I don't expect to walk.

As for striking out and bad timing, I don't get mad as long as I KNOW why i missed the pitch.

I'm still a work in progress too... I have a long way to go! Try using the batting cage more often, that's I'm trying... Before the game, go in practice mode and work timming, discipline, and recongition with one of my players. After the game, do the same thing with the my batter who had the worst game vs the pitcher that struck him out the most... Feels like I'm a real ball player getting coached... Try it out... I'm still working on it....

Old 05-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
MVP

COMMISSIONERHBK9's Arena

OVR: 19

WHAt camera do you use germaino for hitting?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
WHAt camera do you use germaino for hitting?
Good question. I don't know if it plays a factor in seeing the ball better, but psychology it does for me. I use offset 4. I feel like the game is more 3D that way.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »