Home

Anyone here a CIS major?

This is a discussion on Anyone here a CIS major? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21
Anyone here a CIS major?

Anyone here a Computer Information Systems major? That is what I am majoring in and by Spring 2012 I have to choose between an emphasis in "network development and management" and "information systems".

I figured I would get some different opinions and information from around the country. I have one I am leaning towards, but don't wanna say so there is no bias. Any info or thoughts would be appreciated. Whichever one I do I want to get a masters in. I hate life decisions lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Anyone here a CIS major?

I use to be a CIS major until my junior year then got bored with it and switched to BIS.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Little Big Puig

elTodd's Arena

OVR: 24

I'm a CSC major, which is a little bit different depending on what school you're going to. I know quite a few guys on here are programmers and the like, such as Giggas and CHooe.

From what I understand CSC is more programming and software development based, where as CIS is more for business related computing. At least that's what it is at my university.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

CIS is more about programming and only worrying about programming.

BIS is about programming to a certain degree, but it is more about the business side of it. Where as you are taught how to solve a programming problem but you can also hold a conversation with a non techie customer. Plus you are taught about busness management and more about network administration.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

I am leaning towards the Network Development and Management. I am definitely not as skilled as some of the people here and I HATE programming. Java is the devil!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by elTodd
I'm a CSC major, which is a little bit different depending on what school you're going to. I know quite a few guys on here are programmers and the like, such as Giggas and CHooe.

From what I understand CSC is more programming and software development based, where as CIS is more for business related computing. At least that's what it is at my university.
Yeah, I took a couple extra classes at one point through Strayer University's CIS department, it's got a significant business focus if I recall correctly.

I'm personally a BA in Computer Science, which is a bit atypical for that degree (most CS grads are BS, and typically through an engineering school). That said my major program was very programming-intensive, there isn't really a focus on computer networks or business applications beyond the process of software design in my experience (there may be a networking class here at UVa but if there is I never took it; I've always been more interested in programming video games ). Another difference was I didn't have to stick to a rigorous engineering curriculum and could take other computer-related electives dealing with topics such as Music and Computers, Logic and Thought, and so forth.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7

I got my AS in networking and can't find a job in it. The part of the state I'm in is not tech heavy. Got Cisco, Windows Admin and everything else that was required. I did it all for nothing because I'm in nursing now. I like it a lot better. Comes to me easily. Wanted to be a network engineer, but shooting for doctor now. In Texas, you should find plenty of work. It would be helpful to know people in the field already to help you find jobs. I enjoyed it, but my heart isn't there anymore. I like helping people and being surrounded by women. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliethebum85
I am leaning towards the Network Development and Management. I am definitely not as skilled as some of the people here and I HATE programming. Java is the devil!
I felt the same way about networking. Sub-netting sounds like no fun and Cisco scares me. I've heard horror stories about anything past Cisco 2.

I know a lot of people in my program share your opinion however. We had a lot of kids start out in programming and then move over to the networking side after their first or second programming class.

Iowa Hawkeyes
Northern Iowa Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
Boston Celtics
Minnesota Timberwolves

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »