Home

Classic Pitching Questions and Discussion

This is a discussion on Classic Pitching Questions and Discussion within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Classic Pitching Questions and Discussion

I know, I know...

I'm like the token OS poster child and fanboy of Analog Pitching.

But, while awaiting the patch, I decided to give Classic a whirl. And what a whirl it's been!

I'm just trying to get a general feel for what most people are using for difficultly level and slider adjustments.

So far, Default AS, with Control and Consistency at 6 seems good. I'm contemplating dropping CPU Solid Hits.

What is everyone else using? Is there a "must do" type of thing? Doing a search, every Classic user I've seen is currently on AS or below. Any HOF'ers out there?

Pretty much, any observations on sliders and difficulty would be helpful. Otherwise, I'll update my progress here while awaiting the patch.

Note: AS with Classic is freaking HARD!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Classic Pitching Questions and Discussion

hey HV what slider combination for the cpu would give you the same crazy results human does? heck clayton kershaw for me the other day walked 3 in a row it's crazy. but i really like it. you really need to know each of youre pitchers especially specialty pitches like curves and sliders. but on all star i think it's perfect!
Old 04-12-2011, 04:10 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 18

Honestly, classic is hit or miss for me. I LOVE the feature itself, but i've had to bump up control and consistency to 7 each on AS to feel like my pitcher is competent. I just get tired of pitches literally missing by feet, not inches. I understand it happens in real life. But pitching with Cahill the other day, even when I tried to throw the sinker in the zone, it would bounce either WAY in front of the plate, or on the opposite side of the plate. Didn't matter how high the confidence was. I tried just tapping the button, holding it to max effort, holding it to maybe half effort, etc. Nothing worked.

I had good success with Cain the next game, to the tune of 80% strikes. It's just such a crazy variation. I like variation, but I feel like when I have an ace on the mound, it just doesn't FEEL like an ace should. If i'm pitching with Lincecum, i'm more worried that my pitches are going to miss by feet if I put anything more than minimum effort on them.

For now, i'll stick with control and consistency at 7. I may try to drop down to 6 for a stretch of games and see what I come up with, but i'll probably get frustrated the first few times I aim a fastball low and inside off the plate, and it winds up outside at the batters eye level.

Do you think maybe just upping consistency and not control would fix these issues? Consistency seems to only effect how much a pitch MISSES by, not how good the overall control is. Maybe i'll give 6 control, 7 consistency a shot and see what happens.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
MVP

Thank you so much guys for joining me in the discussion.

I played two games. Control 6, Consistency 7. Remember, the night before I was 6/6 and got BEAT DOWN. Three times.

Game one, Sabathia, I went 7 innings; allowing 1 run (a solo shot), 6 hits, 6K, and 3 BB (5 combined with my relievers).

Game two, Burnett pitched a gem. Absolute gem.

8 innings, 0 runs, 8 K, 1 BB, and 3 hits. Mariano gave up a solo homer in the 9th...and I ended up losing 1-0.

Hopefully, I don't dominate too much like this, but I was really suprised how one click in consistency could turn those three massacres into two "year of the pitcher-esque" style outings.

I'll go through the rotation before I move one of those sliders down.

I'm pretty sure it's a mini-game with the confidence meter driving our success/failure.

Oh, everything else Default AS for CPU hitting, minus Solid Hits (4).

Do either of you have any relevant slider tweaks to the CPU hitting, or are you Default across the board?

Last edited by Heroesandvillains; 04-12-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
Thank you so much guys for joining me in the discussion.

I played two games. Control 6, Consistency 7. Remember, the night before I was 6/6 and got BEAT DOWN. Three times.

Game one, Sabathia, I went 7 innings; allowing 1 run (a solo shot), 6 hits, 6K, and 3 BB (5 combined with my relievers).

8 innings, 0 runs, 8 K, 1 BB, and 3 hits. Mariano gave up a solo homer in the 9th...and I ended up losing 1-0.

Hopefully, I don't dominate too much like this, but I was really suprised how one click in consistency could turn those three massacres into two "year of the pitcher-esque" style outings.

I'm pretty sure it's a mini-game with the confidence meter driving our success/failure.

Do either of you have any relevant slider tweaks?
Something is definitely wrong with then.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherCreature
Something is definitely wrong with then.
Hang on, Mr. Sarcastic.

Remember that shootout a couple years back? Burnett against Beckett. Probably the most enjoyable game I'd ever watched. He's definitely capable.

But I agree, a couple more starts with him like that and my PS3 may YLOD.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jripper09
hey HV what slider combination for the cpu would give you the same crazy results human does? heck clayton kershaw for me the other day walked 3 in a row it's crazy. but i really like it. you really need to know each of youre pitchers especially specialty pitches like curves and sliders. but on all star i think it's perfect!
Oh, I just re-read your post.

For some reason I thought you said you changed control/consistency like Kearnzo.

Where do you have those two sliders and CPU hitting sliders at?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

[quote=heroesandvillians;2042300270]Thank you so much guys for joining me in the discussion.

Do either of you have any relevant slider tweaks to the CPU hitting, or are you Default across the board?[/QUOTE
I use 5/5 for human pitching. heres what i do i take kershaw fore instance. i don't aim my pitches for corners every time, this is where it's more realistic sometimes i aim closer to to the middle and it will go to the corners or close to it. I throw a ton of fastballs with kershaw because honestly he has one of the best swing and miss ratio in baseball and gets a lot of swingthroughs. breaking pitches you have to know you're pitchers the confidence they have in that pitch that day. the only problem i have is when my confidence gets low i can't throw strikes unless it's a meatball. if you've used your'e trip to the mound you are screwed! That's where i'd like them to give us trips to the mound with our catchers maybe 3 a game and rate them on the catchers experience or a given new attribute for catchers.

hey HV i don't know how to do the quote thing i'm new this is only my 3rd post how does that work? thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »