Home

Warming Up Pitchers? How Long?

This is a discussion on Warming Up Pitchers? How Long? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
Warming Up Pitchers? How Long?

I usually find myself waiting too long or jumping too soon in warming up my pitchers. And when I do I go back and forth to the bullpen to check my reliever's status almost every pitch. So a few questions...

1. Has anyone figured out how long it takes to warm up a pitcher?
2. What are your strategies? Warm them up half inning before?
3. How long before they start to lose their energy warming up?
4. Has anyone determined any harm if you sit a guy down after you've started warming him up? I know in real life managers frown on that sort of thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Warming Up Pitchers? How Long?

Seriously, I don't think warming them up makes any difference at all. I've been running some pitching tests, and I see no difference when I just bring a reliever in cold.

Maybe more telling: I lowered CPU Stamina ratings to see what the CPU does when its starter runs out of gas in the 3rd inning. The answer: nothing. It just allows the guy to continue pitching, inning after inning, on 0 energy. Apparently it makes no difference whatsoever how warm, cold or full of energy the pitcher is. I certainly never see any difference in the CPU's ability to get the ball over the plate. He doesn't start throwing wild, for example.

Last edited by peigone; 04-05-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Rookie

KraZe's Arena

OVR: 2

What about injuries? That's the one major thing that would pop into my head about a risk of bringing in a cold pitcher... I normally play My Player mode, so I wouldn't know for sure if it affects it or not.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraZe
What about injuries? That's the one major thing that would pop into my head about a risk of bringing in a cold pitcher.
That could play into it. I always have injuries set to off so I don't know.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
Seriously, I don't think warming them up makes any difference at all. I've been running some pitching tests, and I see no difference when I just bring a reliever in cold.
Hmmm. Might have to try this out and see.

Maybe a stupid question, but do you have Active Bullpen on?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
do you have Active Bullpen on?
No. Also, I use classic pitching, and maybe you'll see a greater loss of control etc. with the other style. But I sure don't have a problem throwing strikes when I bring a pitcher in cold.

The one thing that's difficult to guage is if the CPU is hitting my pitcher more and harder, due to the fact that he's supposedly "cold." But again, from what I've seen, I don't see any increase in the CPU's ability to hit the ball in those instances.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Banned

Here's a good find: I just played another few innings against the CPU starter with edited stamina, and I kept track as he tired out over a couple of innings. His pitch speeds dropped as his energy depleted. He started out throwing 90 mph fastballs and 82 mph sliders. By the time he hit 0 energy, his fastball was coming in at 83 mph and his slider at 77 mph.

So it could well be that warming your pitcher up properly insures he's going to be hitting the high end of his pitch speeds when he enters the game. May even affect pitch movement, I don't know as I wasn't watching for that (hard to gauge as well with CPU pitchers).

Last edited by peigone; 04-05-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Banned

Sabo's corked Bat's Arena

OVR: 0

until they are green, although its not needed. Must be a bug, since warming them up does absolutely nothing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »