Home

Catchers are HORRIBLE.

This is a discussion on Catchers are HORRIBLE. within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Catchers are HORRIBLE.

Are other people having issues with catcher fielding? Throws beat the runner home and either the catcher stands there and waits until they're safe to tag the runner, or they try to tag and then suddenly warp across to the other side of the plate. Not to mention that if you allow them to rip their mask off, where ever you wanted to throw it is now pointless because it delays so long.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Rookie

dmanzano's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Catchers are HORRIBLE.

Sometimes yes, they are. I just had a game where I throw to home from CF, the runner would be well out if the catcher didn't leave the HP to meet the ball at the mound. The ball is coming right at you, just wait for it and apply the tag, you moron!!
Not to mention when a ball bounces right in front of him and he just stands there staring at it unless the runner is moving, then, if its the CPU controlling him, it will burst to the ball and throw you out, if it's you controlling, he will gently walk towards it and the throw will get to 2nd 2 minutes after the runner is safe lol

OK, I'm done with the gripe now
Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I haven't really been having much trouble with the catchers to this point in the game. The only real problem is that they take forever when somebody bunts to set their feet and throw.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Pro

indcolts18288's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ROC
Are other people having issues with catcher fielding? Throws beat the runner home and either the catcher stands there and waits until they're safe to tag the runner, or they try to tag and then suddenly warp across to the other side of the plate. Not to mention that if you allow them to rip their mask off, where ever you wanted to throw it is now pointless because it delays so long.
What I have a problem with is trying to pick runners off at 1st with the catcher. I don't try it an unrealistic amount of times. But if I notice a runner has a big lead and I already released the ball from the pitchers hand and the runner doesn't go I try and pick him off. Sometimes the throw is close but other times there is such a delay it's not even realistic. My biggest problem with this game is when the ball is rolling to an infielder or and outfielder and he doesn't react to it. It just rolls by him. And if it just rolls by an outfielder, it's an easy triple for any batter with any speed.
Blackhawks fan
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Honestly the urgency is just not there. This is one area where The Show could great improve.

A few things I notice:
- Balls in the dirt: no urgency whatsoever!
- Throws to 2nd: the pop times are SLOW!!!

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

I am seeing too many 58 foot breaking balls swung at missed for third strike to watch the ball get by the catcher all the way to the backstop and I end up having to get 4 outs...
Old 04-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
Rookie

dmanzano's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleebo
I am seeing too many 58 foot breaking balls swung at missed for third strike to watch the ball get by the catcher all the way to the backstop and I end up having to get 4 outs...
That's why I usually don't even think about trying to get strike3 with a curve in the dirt anymore, actually this year I'm not a fan of anything in the dirt for that matter. Last year and in 09 I loved to get guys fishing. This year it's just too risky

Last edited by dmanzano; 04-04-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
Rookie

I was hoping the catcher interactions would be updated this year. The catcher throwing out base runners and throws to the catcher are even more ridiculous. Always, always, always the throw is to the right side of the plate and the catcher turns to miss the tag out. Has anyone seen differently this year, as I have not.

This is obviously a pet peeve of mine and get upset at constant plays at the plate that have the same (always) result. I cannot believe how detailed some of this game is and yet there has not been an update to throw to multiple sides of the plate and let that play out. The more and more I play this game, it seems there is no physics involved in the ball movement with any aspect of this game; just random programing depending on the situation and timing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »