Home

Giving up on Pure Analog Hitting

This is a discussion on Giving up on Pure Analog Hitting within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Giving up on Pure Analog Hitting

So I've decided (for now) that I am going to give up on the analog hitting. I'm throwing in the towel. Why? Because I'm THIS CLOSE to hurling my PS3 through a sliding glass door.

First let me say this: I play baseball. I played my entire childhood, high school, and still at age 28 I am playing competitive baseball against guys who throw 80-90 mph.

HITTING THE FRIGGIN' BALL IN THE SHOW ON PURE ANALOG IS HARDER THAN HITTING AN ACTUAL 90 MPH FASTBALL.

It severely frustrates me that I am waiving the white flag, as one of the reasons I purchased the game was for this new feature, but I just can't take it anymore. I don't have time to play the g-d dam game all day every day. At most I can squeeze in one game a night, and I'm not always at my most focused at 9:00 on a weekday night. I've played nearly an entire spring training and my team batting average is below the mendoza line. There are times where I show flashes of improvement, but then the very next game I'll be swinging at everything.

I think I could play this game for a year straight and I'd STILL never be able to tell the difference between a change and a fastball until AFTER the bottom has dropped out of it and I'm bashing myself in the forehead with my dual shock controller for swinging. I don't know what my problem is, but I just cannot seem to pull it together. I am playing on Veteran, with my batting sliders pushed all the way up. I've used practice mode quite a bit, and here's the thing...I do great in the cage. But on the field it just doesn't translate. I hate this game.

If all you have to say is "practice more", then I hate you too. I need to hear from others who have said "F This" and given up on analog hitting entirely.

Where's the emoticon for "donkey punch self in face"?

Oh wait...

----> (<-- me)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: Giving up on Pure Analog Hitting

Move down to rookie or veteran and I am sorry, but I LMAO when you said it is easier hitting a real baseball. Yeah, maybe in your pick up games. But go try to hit in the majors and see how that goes.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

If you're not having fun, what's it all for, right? It's a video game. No shame in the switch at all.

I switched right away. I tried analog in the demo and even though I liked the idea, timing the different strides for every player just distracted me too much from enjoying the experience of the whole game. I may try analog for my RTTS player, who will always have the same stride. But for everything else? Back to zones, baby.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
Rookie

First of all, they aren't pick up games - don't insult me like that...lemme bust out the boxing dude again it's a legitimate 25+ wood bat league.

Secondly, I'm not saying it would definitely be easier to hit a major league pitcher (though I am not sure of that). I'm saying that in my experience, it is easier for me to swing a long piece of wood at a small leather ball moving at 90 mph and make contact with it than it is for me to pull a friggin joystick back and connect with a bunch of small white pixels traveling from the top to the bottom of my television screen. It's just not fair.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Yep, gave up on the Analog hitting during the demo. Too much to focus on and I wasn't able to actually focus on the most important thing...the pitch.

So I switched back to zone and have a good time playing on HoF with that. I did keep analog pitching and fielding, however.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixon08
First of all, they aren't pick up games - don't insult me like that...lemme bust out the boxing dude again it's a legitimate 25+ wood bat league.

Secondly, I'm not saying it would definitely be easier to hit a major league pitcher (though I am not sure of that). I'm saying that in my experience, it is easier for me to swing a long piece of wood at a small leather ball moving at 90 mph and make contact with it than it is for me to pull a friggin joystick back and connect with a bunch of small white pixels traveling from the top to the bottom of my television screen. It's just not fair.
Dude just stop please. I can't stop laughing. Wood bats! I am going to bow out of this thread. I played in a semi pro league in my 20's to and it was not even no where near to facing a real MLB pitcher. If you are not having fun switch or you can move down a level and work on your timing.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
Rookie

Woohoo we've got an ex-semi pro here! Just give me one second while I wipe the drool off of my face. I'm glad you are having a good time laughing at me, but dude I am not stating that I am the best baseball player of all time, nor am I suggesting that ex-college pitchers 5 years removed from competitive play are anywhere near as difficult to hit as major league, or even professional grade pitching.

I'm simply stating that the VIDEO GAME is more frustrating than the ACTUAL GAME. You're getting hung up on semantics - I'm talking about contact, not winning batting titles. I'm talking about pitch selection. Why can I lay off a slider low and away in real life, but in the game I'm swinging when I know I should take. It's just frustrating.

Anyways, I'm not saying it's hard for everyone. I just don't know why I am having such a hard time with it. Maybe I just don't play enough video games.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #8

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Dude just stop please. I can't stop laughing. Wood bats! I am going to bow out of this thread. I played in a semi pro league in my 20's to and it was not even no where near to facing a real MLB pitcher. If you are not having fun switch or you can move down a level and work on your timing.
Scott, you are the only person who has compared this to batting against a major league pitcher, he even said in his second post he wasn't making that comparison.

All he said is he has faced pitchers who throw 90 and has an easier time hitting against them than he does in the game which makes your suggestion to turn the difficulty down valid. But he never once compared it to hitting against major league pitching and I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up...

That said, I'll offer my opinion of the analog hitting.

I really hope next year there is an option for zone plus analog. I would love to control where I swing with the left stick and the timing with the right stick.

I don't like analog because I can't control the height of my swing. I'm not suggestion zone is more realistic because I realize there are takeaways with that as well.

I love having attributes controlling a majority of the outcome but I want to be able to control exactly where and when I swing.

I tried analog and it isn't for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »