Home

Idea(s) for Introducing Diet and Weight Control for FNRd6

This is a discussion on Idea(s) for Introducing Diet and Weight Control for FNRd6 within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Idea(s) for Introducing Diet and Weight Control for FNRd6

When I was at the EAC building 2 years ago for the FNrd4 community day I spoke with Brizzo and the guys diet and training in boxing games.
Brizzo was adamant that he didn't want to add diet to the game saying that nobody likes to diet in real life so why would someone want to manage and maintain a meal list in a video game.
While I wouldn't mind this, I can see his point of view for the average gamer.

But there's way's around this.

Basically, I'd like to see a nutritionist added to the list of resources you need to spend your money on, or attribute points on.

So lets take this into consideration if they add a Managers mode, or just keep a straight Legacy Mode for Rd6.

In a managers mode, you start off as a lowly, inexperienced manager. You have no money and no experience with nutrition or diet.
So at first, your fighters don't have much control over how they manage their weight. Perhaps as you win more fights, belts or money, your attributes as far as managing weight move up. Or perhaps you simply have to spend some of that cash on hiring a dietician.

Every fighter has ratings as far as metabolism. As they age, that number can decrease (depending on their natural size. Some fighters like Haglar stayed at their natural weight whereas others grew into their frame - Michael Moorer).
In Managers Mode, you could even add Work Ethic as an attribute. If it's low, the fighter doesn't train as hard and therefore his weight will fluctuate more.

Because you start out with no experience in diet, your fighters will gain weight naturally. Or perhaps, you force the fighter to stay at a weight but he loses stamina, speed and power from loss of weight. This creates more dynamics of how you move your fighters up the rankings.
As you gain more money, you can buy a dietician. They too will have ratings so some will be better than others.
Of course, these dieticians aren't miracle workers so don't expect to turn Chris Aereolla into a light-heavyweight. But they could help to keep some fighters at a weight longer.
Or help move them up or down a division or two while maintaining more of their speed or power.

You could scrap the whole dietician thing altogether and make it an experience point thing as a manager as well.
But I thought this was a very simple approach to handling weight.
Of course, this means actually having a managers mode or something more complex than the current Legacy Mode.
But even then, I think it's something simple that can be accomplished pretty easily.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: Idea(s) for Introducing Diet and Weight Control for FNRd6

Lots of Luck. Honestly, Legacy needs an entire overhaul. 1st they need to include at least 200 boxers per division.

Then they need to scrap this build up everything about your boxer and have some guys start with good raw talent and also have good competitors sprinkled throughout the bottom tiers representing other young guys with talent.

Then they need to fix the record tracking system so you don't have top 10 guys with 14-8-1 records.

They need to add injuries more than just a ruptured spleen. They also need to add the ability to have more than just a 4 week training camp.

I thought you community guys said the developers were true boxing fans. Anyone who looks at the Legacy mode would be left scratching their heads. Especially considering VB has thousands of boxers in their rankings on the PS2 years ago. The programming wouldn't be that difficult to really spruce up Legacy. Its just laziness.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Pro

DereckM's Arena

OVR: 8

They should fix things that are already broken with FNC before adding anything IMO. That is one of the problems with EA now. They usually add different things without making sure the foundation is steady enough to be built upon.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Lots of Luck. Honestly, Legacy needs an entire overhaul. 1st they need to include at least 200 boxers per division.

Then they need to scrap this build up everything about your boxer and have some guys start with good raw talent and also have good competitors sprinkled throughout the bottom tiers representing other young guys with talent.

Then they need to fix the record tracking system so you don't have top 10 guys with 14-8-1 records.

They need to add injuries more than just a ruptured spleen. They also need to add the ability to have more than just a 4 week training camp.

I thought you community guys said the developers were true boxing fans. Anyone who looks at the Legacy mode would be left scratching their heads. Especially considering VB has thousands of boxers in their rankings on the PS2 years ago. The programming wouldn't be that difficult to really spruce up Legacy. Its just laziness.
I really do believe the guys at EAC are huge boxing fans. If you listened to them talk about the sport you can see that they're extremely passionate about the sweet science.

However, I think Fight Night, like all of their sports games, is hampered by suits who tell them they can't go all-in with realism.
It's why all of their sports games are hammered on OS for constantly being too arcady or not including enough realism. Just look at Elite. The game didn't even see the light of day.
What boggles my mind is nobody at EA seems to realize that games like NBA2K, The Show, Winning Eleven (or whatever it's called now) and even the old NFL2K games all were received better and in some cases, sold better, and they were all based on realism.
NBA2K11 is seen as one of the best sports sims in history and has sold millions. Shouldn't that tell EA that sports gamers WANT realism over fluff?
Old 03-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I really do believe the guys at EAC are huge boxing fans. If you listened to them talk about the sport you can see that they're extremely passionate about the sweet science.

However, I think Fight Night, like all of their sports games, is hampered by suits who tell them they can't go all-in with realism.
It's why all of their sports games are hammered on OS for constantly being too arcady or not including enough realism. Just look at Elite. The game didn't even see the light of day.
What boggles my mind is nobody at EA seems to realize that games like NBA2K, The Show, Winning Eleven (or whatever it's called now) and even the old NFL2K games all were received better and in some cases, sold better, and they were all based on realism.
NBA2K11 is seen as one of the best sports sims in history and has sold millions. Shouldn't that tell EA that sports gamers WANT realism over fluff?
I'd be interesting to hear the developers take on it. I would love to have a roundtable with the developers. But they most likely would have to stick with the company line. But it sure would seem if the developers are boxing fans like you say they are, that they could tell the powers that be, that an enhanced career mode would help sales and with most of it being text, it seems like it would be a relatively easy endeavor.

We don't mind working with sliders to get a sim experience, they can make the game arcadey out of the box if they want, just put in a solid engine and working sliders.

I honestly think the boxing engine they have here is pretty decent. In the ring, the game is pretty enjoyable, but could be great if we could tweek it to our sim likings.

The rankings, and text portion of the game seems like it would be the easiest to get straight, but that part of the game requires the most attention at this point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
I'd be interesting to hear the developers take on it. I would love to have a roundtable with the developers. But they most likely would have to stick with the company line. But it sure would seem if the developers are boxing fans like you say they are, that they could tell the powers that be, that an enhanced career mode would help sales and with most of it being text, it seems like it would be a relatively easy endeavor.

We don't mind working with sliders to get a sim experience, they can make the game arcadey out of the box if they want, just put in a solid engine and working sliders.

I honestly think the boxing engine they have here is pretty decent. In the ring, the game is pretty enjoyable, but could be great if we could tweek it to our sim likings.

The rankings, and text portion of the game seems like it would be the easiest to get straight, but that part of the game requires the most attention at this point.
Couldn't agree more.
But I think the Suits see OWC and MUT, etc. as a way to make so much more from micro transactions.
Offline gamers are getting the shaft because EA can't make any money off of them outside of the initial purchase.

On a side note, I'm pretty disappointed to hear that the records of top 10 guys are still whack. Nobody in the top 10 should have below a .850 record.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Couldn't agree more.
But I think the Suits see OWC and MUT, etc. as a way to make so much more from micro transactions.
Offline gamers are getting the shaft because EA can't make any money off of them outside of the initial purchase.

On a side note, I'm pretty disappointed to hear that the records of top 10 guys are still whack. Nobody in the top 10 should have below a .850 record.

I think they could still sell boxer packs and arenas. Not saying I want to pay more for more boxers and other things that should be in the game, but I really don't have a problem shelling out $5 for a boxer pack. If they gave me a Holmes, Joe Louis, Young George Foreman, Schelling and Marciano pack and a few old time venues like old Yankee stadium, I'd gladly pay for it. Or give me current champ pack. They could make a deal with maybe the WBO for example, and every 2 months or so release a pack with 6 of their champions in it. I know this would be harder to do, but it is things I would pay for.

But obviously just charging for stat boosts requires alot less work on their end.

It is disappointing that the top 10 has so many losses, but I don't think with only 50 boxers per weight class, they can do much about it. Everyone fights eachother within 10 spots of eachother. They need hundreds per weight class and a different opponent matching system.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:

If anything I don't see why they can't release to sets of sliders or gameplay modes. Have a sim setting and arcade setting to try and satisfy both crowds. And for the online portion just have two different rooms where you can choose which style you prefer to play in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »