Home

Crowd in Tampa

This is a discussion on Crowd in Tampa within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Pro

indcolts18288's Arena

OVR: 2
Crowd in Tampa

I know the Rays fans are fair weathered to put it nicely. But I did a fantasy draft with the Rays and I can only get about 25K fans in there on average. I've done promotions and where I was at 20K it brought in about 5K more fans so it helped. But 25K??????? That's like half of who shows up to Wrigley even when the Cubs totally suck! So does anyone have any advice as to how to pack the place. I did a fantasy draft as I mentioned and then did some trading so I have plenty of star players and A rated prospects to go around. Longoria, Crawford, Dunn, Strasberg, Peavy, Aroldis Chapman, Papelbon etc.
Blackhawks fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Crowd in Tampa

I don't know man, I doubt that the game takes into account how awesome your fantasy team is. I'd imagine that they probably try to mimic real life attendance levels to some degree.

Just keep in mind that even while the rays have been competitive the last few years, they've only averaged around 23,000 in attendance in real life. So what you're saying actually sounds just about right to me.

In years past, the best way to fill your home park has been to win. If you're in first place and you're keeping ticket/parking prices fair, more fans will start to show up. Though I wouldn't expect to start racking up the sell outs anytime soon at The Trop.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Pro

RyanLeaf16's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by indcolts18288
I know the Rays fans are fair weathered to put it nicely. But I did a fantasy draft with the Rays and I can only get about 25K fans in there on average. I've done promotions and where I was at 20K it brought in about 5K more fans so it helped. But 25K??????? That's like half of who shows up to Wrigley even when the Cubs totally suck! So does anyone have any advice as to how to pack the place. I did a fantasy draft as I mentioned and then did some trading so I have plenty of star players and A rated prospects to go around. Longoria, Crawford, Dunn, Strasberg, Peavy, Aroldis Chapman, Papelbon etc.
Another uninformed big city fan who only gets his/her info from BSPN.

First, Tampa as a market has only about 1/3 of the larger cities in terms of total population to draw on for attendance. Second, current unemployment numbers are about 15% in the bay area. Keep in mind that 15% number only accounts for those collecting unemployment benefits in the area. Local economists have estimated that another 8-10% of the population is unemployed/looking for work. Finally, if you look at the local broadcast numbers for TV broadcasts the Rays rank 3rd OVERALL in terms of viewership. Meaning, people are watching and are interested in the organization, they just can't afford to go.

Perfect example would be last year when the Rays gave away free tickets and had a huge turnout. People want to go to the Trop, they JUST CAN'T AFFORD IT! Stop getting all your info from BSPN and assuming the bay area fans are fair-weathered.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Its prob just tampa dude, they had to GIVE AWAY 20k tickets a couple years ago when they were deep in the playoffs! What a shame.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

I wondered about this, also.

I always do fantasy draft franchises, and I'd like to see the better teams draw the better crowds, but it seems like the crowds are pre-programmed according to real life...am I wrong?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLeaf16
Perfect example would be last year when the Rays gave away free tickets and had a huge turnout. People want to go to the Trop, they JUST CAN'T AFFORD IT! Stop getting all your info from BSPN and assuming the bay area fans are fair-weathered.
You could give away free tickets to any team and they would have a full house. Having people show up to a free game really doesnt prove anything.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 03-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Pro

indcolts18288's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:

First, Tampa as a market has only about 1/3 of the larger cities in terms of total population to draw on for attendance. Second, current unemployment numbers are about 15% in the bay area. Keep in mind that 15% number only accounts for those collecting unemployment benefits in the area. Local economists have estimated that another 8-10% of the population is unemployed/looking for work. Finally, if you look at the local broadcast numbers for TV broadcasts the Rays rank 3rd OVERALL in terms of viewership. Meaning, people are watching and are interested in the organization, they just can't afford to go.

OK. Not really interested in your unemployment rates and such. The economy is bad everywhere. Does that explain the terrible attendance at Jacksonville Jaguar games? Tarps all over their stadium to cover empty seats. Even when they were having good seasons they were locally being blacked out on TV. Yet, somehow, the Gator football team fills Ben Hill Griffin Stadium every game. Florida is a college state, that's what's wrong. I wasn't trying to offend but baseball games aren't as expensive as football games. And pulling the economy card isn't going to work with working class America.
Blackhawks fan
Old 03-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

jaded? LOL

I always thought that most baseball fans from the Tampa/St Pete area were yankees fans first & foremost.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »