Home

Audio/Visual Help- Re: HDMI

This is a discussion on Audio/Visual Help- Re: HDMI within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Audio/Visual Help- Re: HDMI

Hey all...I just purchased a 60" Sharp Aquos from Amazon and a Sony Sound Bar as well to go with my Receiver for my setup for my PS3.

My question is regarding the HDMI setup and cable that I need to buy. Are all HDMI cables for the PS3 the same? Any recommendations? Also, I have no clue where to plug the HDMI into...does it go into the receiver, TV or sound bar?

Any info is much appreciated!

By the way, I just got the game (MLB The Show 2011) 5 minutes ago and cannot wait to play!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Audio/Visual Help- Re: HDMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviasimone
Hey all...I just purchased a 60" Sharp Aquos from Amazon and a Sony Sound Bar as well to go with my Receiver for my setup for my PS3.

My question is regarding the HDMI setup and cable that I need to buy. Are all HDMI cables for the PS3 the same? Any recommendations? Also, I have no clue where to plug the HDMI into...does it go into the receiver, TV or sound bar?

Any info is much appreciated!

By the way, I just got the game (MLB The Show 2011) 5 minutes ago and cannot wait to play!

Any HDMI is fine, get a $10 dollar one if you find it around the web or stores.

The HDMI goes from the back of your PS3 to the back of the receiver. The speaker connects from the receiver

If the receiver does not have an HDMI out then you have to connect the HDMI from the ps3 to the hdtv and the speaker to the receiver via optical if available

Tell me what hdmi inputs your receiver has and the speaker

Last edited by Giants4Natic; 03-11-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Rookie

FWIW - I've purchased multiple HDMI cables online through Amazon for $3-$5 delivered and have never had an issue. I think they were sold through eForcity. You don't need a $50 cable and don't let anyone tell you others. You're transmitting a DIGITAL signal over a very short distance. The cheap cables are just fine, I assure you.

And if you're plugging in to the receiver, you'll need at least two cables (one to get from the receiver to the TV).
Old 03-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Rookie

Thanks JS and Giants for the quick response...

Giants- I know my Receiver has an HDMI input but not sure if there is more than one. Wouldn't I want the HDMI (if I only have one available slot on my receiver) to be dedicated for my TV?

JS (or Giants) - Are the HDMI cables on Amazon sufficient? Which is better? I tried to post links but am new so it wont let me. If you type in "HDMI Cable" on Amazon there are a ton!

Any brand suggestions? I see some from $3 and up!
Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviasimone
Thanks JS and Giants for the quick response...

Giants- I know my Receiver has an HDMI input but not sure if there is more than one. Wouldn't I want the HDMI (if I only have one available slot on my receiver) to be dedicated for my TV?

JS (or Giants) - Are the HDMI cables on Amazon sufficient? Which is better? I tried to post links but am new so it wont let me. If you type in "HDMI Cable" on Amazon there are a ton! Any brand suggestions? I see some from $3 and up!
If your receiver has one HDMI, it definitely will have another. It's got to connect to the TV somehow!!

As for ordering on Amazon, order the cheapest you can find. Like I said, I paid $3 or so delivered, maybe up to $5? Can't exactly remember, it's been a while. VERY cheap, though. Seriously, just get the cheapest. All of the 'cheap' options are all the same. They will work exactly the same as the pricier ones in stores. It's a DIGITAL signal. The 'medium' to the TV hardly matters. Gold plate, extra thick, blah blah blah. Doesn't matter.

Do not be alarmed at the low prices online; Be alarmed at the absurdly high prices in stores.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 7

If your receiver has one hdmi IN then it has to have an Out to transfer the signal from receiver to the TV

If that is the case then just use the HDMI from the ps3 to the receiver In and get a second hdmi cable and connect it from the out of the receiver to the tv

As far as your tv goes...Connect your cable from the cable box to the tv via hdmi and buy an optical link to get the audio from the back of the cable box to the receiver.

Otical cables are cheap as well
Old 03-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Rookie

ookbandito's Arena

OVR: 3

As jswaykos said, all HDMI cable are the same. I would advise against getting any Amazon Basics brand HDMI cables though. I bought 2 of them back in December and by mid February they were both dead. Also, you can find HDMI cables on eBay at $1.79 each with free shipping.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants4Natic
If your receiver has one hdmi IN then it has to have an Out to transfer the signal from receiver to the TV

If that is the case then just use the HDMI from the ps3 to the receiver In and get a second hdmi cable and connect it from the out of the receiver to the tv

As far as your tv goes...Connect your cable from the cable box to the tv via hdmi and buy an optical link to get the audio from the back of the cable box to the receiver.

Otical cables are cheap as well
There SHOULD be multiple inputs on the receiver for HDMI. If so, can't he just plug the cable box into that, or no?

He's right, though - optical cables only cost a buck or two delivered.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »