Home

Thumb Placement for Analog

This is a discussion on Thumb Placement for Analog within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
MVP

chuckm1961's Arena

OVR: 12
Thumb Placement for Analog

OK, I'll try analog, but I don't think it will stick with me.

I see two options for using the right stick: 1) thumb on stick; or 2) hold stick between thumb and second finger.

The problem with #1 is that I don't trust my ability to move the stick up accurately.

The problem with #2 is that it feels dumb.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Thumb Placement for Analog

I'm thinking the same thing. This is one of the reasons im seriously considering using the buttons. I have been using my thumb only, because if I use two fingers on analog I am freezing up when I have runners on base. My brain is not adjusting well to the analog control. I understand with practice ill get better but I dont think I will ever be able to check swing using analog. I guess I will play the entire Spring Training using analog and if dont get the hang of it I will switch back to zone with a week to go in Spring to get ready for the regular season
Old 03-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 9

Well, I have discovered a nice hint for help witht he analog swing to make it more natural.

When you decide to swing, instead of pushing up to the 11 o'clock, 12 o'clock, or 1 o'clock position in order to match up the pitch, roll the stick up the side that you are going to swing to.

Meaning, if you are hitting as s lefty, and you want him to swing at an inside pitch, pull down on the stick to the 6 o'clock stride position, and then roll the R-stick up the right side of the controller like you were throwing an uppercut in Fight Night.

The swing seems more natural, and so far, i am getting much better results than the awkwards push and check swing issue every 5th swing.

Try it, you might find that it helps.

~syf
Old 03-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
MVP

sbauer318's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm1961
OK, I'll try analog, but I don't think it will stick with me.

I see two options for using the right stick: 1) thumb on stick; or 2) hold stick between thumb and second finger.

The problem with #1 is that I don't trust my ability to move the stick up accurately.

The problem with #2 is that it feels dumb.
That's my problem right now. I can't seem to move the stick up accurately. I'll hit my spot occasionally, but more often than not, I'll move the stick beyond my target. I'm still using analog, but it has been hard at times.
NFL: Baltimore Ravens
Old 03-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

I am not a fan of the pitching controls. I don't know if I'm right about this point but- meter pitching I believe you first control the power, then the accuracy. With analog the meter if I go past the - line it messes up the release point.. So from the tests I've done you can't control pitch power. No matter what I can't get the pitchers to throw as fast as I can using the meter.

Meter pitching, analog batting is the way to go IMO.

As far as thumb placement I feel like the way you hold a PS3 controller is to the side anyway, meaning the grips don't go straight down as much as xbox so its harder to do exactly what you want with that kind of pinpoint accuracy. When I played with analog pitching (vs human) I would move the marker where I wanted and when I would aim (blindly I might add) I would try to mirror my thumbs. Meaning if I was aiming the right stick on the way up to 11 o'clock, I'd push my left thumb to 5 with the same amount of force as I was holding it to aim the pitch. It helped me keep the same pressure so I always knew how much I was pressing so I used the correct amount of force and I actually got quite a few "perfect location" making the meter light up.

Last edited by Siruss; 03-08-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

Pull back on the stick and gently push forwards using the Analog pitching. The fastball might be 92-94. Try this is practice 5 times.

Now pull back and really zing the stick forward, and still try to hit that spot at the target up top on the meter.

Fastballs will be (if the pitcher has it) 95-97mph.

Same with curveballs. A gentle push on the stick gives you better accuract results, but you can really snap off a gnarly bender if you give it a bit extra push forward.

~syf
Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Pr*

Joey's Arena

OVR: 15

Pitch power is determined by how fast you move the stick back up - the faster you move it the more effort you put into the pitch. (Analog, btw.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siruss
I am not a fan of the pitching controls. I don't know if I'm right about this point but- meter pitching I believe you first control the power, then the accuracy. With analog the meter if I go past the - line it messes up the release point.. So from the tests I've done you can't control pitch power. No matter what I can't get the pitchers to throw as fast as I can using the meter.

Meter pitching, analog batting is the way to go IMO.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 6

Ok, this may sound silly, but one of my homers was done by putting the analog stick in the middle of my palm and pulling back and forth like I am switching gears on a stick shift. I did this cause my thumb joint was getting a bit sore from playing so long.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »