Home

What was the biggest upset in NCAA Tournament History?

This is a discussion on What was the biggest upset in NCAA Tournament History? within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 10
What was the biggest upset in NCAA Tournament History?

What do you think has been the biggest upset in NCAA History to this point?
I think it would have to be Hampton-Iowa State in the 2001 NCAA Tournament. The way that game unfolded was crazy. I remember it was the late night game over here in the east and Hampton just kept sticking around the whole game.
Iowa State had Hampton beaten twice. They were up by like 20 with 15 minutes to go and blew the leader, then they were up by about 2 or 3 WITH the ball and the lead in the final minute and it looked like Hampton was finished. I still can't believe the manner in which they won that game. It looked like Tinsley was going to pull it out of the fire for Iowa State but he blew the wide open layup at the end.
That's the only time I've seen a 2 seed lose in the 1st round and I still can't believe it happened.

I know a lot of people are going to say George Mason beating UConn but that really wasn't the best in my opinion. Everyone knew UConn was overrated. Rudy Gay never lived up to his billing (He must have shot like 20% in college) and the rest of the team was garbage. Shut down Marcus Williams and UConn's in trouble against anyone.

And George Mason was a very good team. They were ranked in the Top 25 during the season and, unlike most mid-major cinderellas, they had 2 excellent post players in Lewis and Thomas. Not to mention they got a fortuitous draw and got to play Wichita State in the Sweet 16.

I also don't think Butler's run last year was that spectacular. They were a 5 seed, had excellent chemistry and played the best defense in the NCAA. The only surpring thing was that they beat Syracuse, I didn't see that one coming, that was quite an upset.

So I would say Hampton beating Iowa State was the greatest upset in NCAA Tournament history.

Last edited by Zenigundam; 03-06-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: What was the biggest upset in NCAA Tournament History?

Imo personally nothing beats Northern Iowa over Kansas last year, when Farokhmanesh hit that 3 that iced the game my family and I went crazy, Heck I still can't help but smile everytime I see that highlight. That game is prolly something I won't ever forget when it's March Madness time, even to I picked KU in my bracket I couldn't but be on the edge of my seat cheering for the upset and then freaking out.

Turns out my grandma went to school there for nursing so that was my team the rest of the Tourny lol

Last edited by Chrisksaint; 03-06-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16

Off the top of my head:

The Cuse losing to Richmond in '91. Another classic Beheim choke job. Princeton upsets defending champs UCLA in the first round in 1996.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

When Arinze Onuaku got injured, I knew there was no way Syracuse was going to go deep in the Tourney. Honestly, I think if Arinze did not get injured in the Big East Tourney, Syracuse was going to the Final Four, no doubt about it.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesgiants
Off the top of my head:

The Cuse losing to Richmond in '91. Another classic Boeheim choke job. Princeton upsets defending champs UCLA in the first round in 1996.
I was going to mention that, I believe that was the first time a #2 seed lost in the opening round. Curious to call it a Boeheim Choke job though, i was pretty sure the Players played the games, I could be wrong though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31

Harold "The Sheaux" Arceneuax and #14 seed Weber State knocking off #3 UNC back in 99.

Also, #14 Bucknell beating #3 Kansas.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Old 03-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisksaint
Imo personally nothing beats Northern Iowa over Kansas last year, when Farokhmanesh hit that 3 that iced the game my family and I went crazy, Heck I still can't help but smile everytime I see that highlight. That game is prolly something I won't ever forget when it's March Madness time, even to I picked KU in my bracket I couldn't but be on the edge of my seat cheering for the upset and then freaking out.

Turns out my grandma went to school there for nursing so that was my team the rest of the Tourny lol

Haha, I actually picked UNI in my bracket. I picked them into to the Final Four, but that didn't happen. They had a lot of games on ESPN2 last year and you could tell they were dangerous. 4 legitimate 3 point shooters, a quality 7 footer and the PF is the MVC Player of the Year. Man I knew that team had some magic. Kansas on the other hand was quite overrated. Collins is only 5'10" so it was quite difficult for him to deal with UNI's defense. The Morris twins aren't great scorers at all. The biggest problem Kansas had was that their one decent score, Tyrell Reed, had an off night and that was all she wrote.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
Champs

Husker_OS's Arena

OVR: 39

#14 NW State over #3 Iowa was crazy. It was an early game to boot.

Alabama National Championships

1925-1926-1930-1934-1945-1961-1964-1965-1966-1978-1979-1992-2009-2011-2012-2015

"Fight on, fight on, fight on men! Remember the Rose Bowl, we'll win then..."

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »