Home

Be A GM Mode's logic is idiotic

This is a discussion on Be A GM Mode's logic is idiotic within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Rookie

meep316's Arena

OVR: 5
Be A GM Mode's logic is idiotic

I started one with the Oilers.

I finished 2nd to last my first year, and WON THE STANLEY CUP the next. Then, I took my team to the second round and lost in game 6. What is my reward?

FIRED

2 years removed from being the worst team in the league, and 1 year removed from being the second worst, I won the Stanley Cup, and you're going to fire me for losing in the second round the next year?

Awful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Be A GM Mode's logic is idiotic

I agree thats stupid. Kevin Lowe hates you. But I have a question, after you get fired, can you get rehired by another team or what happens?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
But I have a question, after you get fired, can you get rehired by another team or what happens?
Yes, you get options of 5 or so teams that want to hire you. Usually they're bottom dwellers I think.

I had run my Avs for 6 seasons, made the playoffs all but one year in which I just barely came up short. In the 6th season I reached the 2nd round of the playoffs but they fired me because I never made it to the Western finals in those 6 seasons. So then last place Montreal hired me. I made the playoffs first season and then won the Cup in year two. Kind of ridiculous how random the GM mode sim is.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

This isn't the only thing that needs fixing either when you talk about GM Mode's logic. Most of the issues have already been brought up multiple times around these parts though, so I don't think I need to go through that.

All I'll say is I really hope they're putting in major work on the AI (on & off the ice) this year. Otherwise I don't know if I can justify making another NHL purchase. As great as the series has been since the next-gen jump, I'm starting to feel a staleness to things. New features aren't going to remove that feeling, but a smarter, more logical game that represents what we see outside of hockey video games will.

And don't get me wrong, I do have faith in the NHL devs to get the job done, because they seem like a great group of guys who know what we want. It's just that we're getting to the point where we keep seeing new features added, but not seeing old issues fixed. As awesome as it is to have broken sticks, real junior players, and all that stuff, it loses it's appeal if the game you're playing is doing the same stupid things it has done for awhile now.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Don't hold your breath BluenGold. There is barely any difference between NHL10 and NHL11 when it comes to Be a GM.

The sim stats are still the worst in any sports video game. Patrick O'Sullivan nearly won back-to-back Art Ross Trophy's.

The trade logic is ridiculous and beyond that, it's really a shallow experience.

But this is common among EA games now. They really couldn't care less about offline gamers. It's all HUT, MUT, FUT, BUTT, etc.
That's because they can make millions off of micro-transactions so little Johnny can use his Momma's credit card to make sure he has the fastest skater and hardest shot on the first day.

With offline, where do you make the money?? You can't, so they give the finger to all of us.
I don't expect anything different for NHL12.
Expect Ovechkin, Stamkos and Crosby to struggle to put up 80 points.
Expect someone like Andrew Ladd to score 120 a year.
Don't expect any sort of 'My NHL' type presentation like the 2K games offer.

Unless you have a Wi-Fi connection, EA doesn't care about you.
Everyone here has been complaining about the same problems with Be A GM since 2007 and all of those problems still exist.
So nobody here should be surprised in the least when NHL12 is no different. But hey, I bet HUT gets a huge upgrade!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Pro

HeroWorship's Arena

OVR: 5

Considering they had to patch NHL 11 within a couple months release on BeAGM, my hope is that they implement some changes overall.

Several of you are correct, in terms that the simulated statistics are off-based. And this has been an issue for YEARS. And it strikes me that EA Sports and the development team haven't taken the time to fix it. Almost every team stats is cookie cutter, seeing how there will be a guy who has 30 goals and 40 assists on every team every year, yet in real life, there are many who won't come close to it.

Don't even get me started on the lines, either. I am in my third season, and Derek Boogaard is the Rangers first line left winger. He had 34 points one year for them. Just the way they do everything makes the experience less and less, even though they have added the CHL, Restricted Free Agency, and other stuff.

I hope NHL 12 fixes this. I am mainly an offline player, and I'd like to see them put some work towards satisfying us as well. Or else, like some have said, what's the point of buying the new game when it has the same issues?
Old 03-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep316
I started one with the Oilers.

I finished 2nd to last my first year, and WON THE STANLEY CUP the next. Then, I took my team to the second round and lost in game 6. What is my reward?

FIRED

2 years removed from being the worst team in the league, and 1 year removed from being the second worst, I won the Stanley Cup, and you're going to fire me for losing in the second round the next year?

Awful.
Did you name your GM Barry Melrose? I agree the logic in the game is seriously flawed and feels as though it's completely random and not really logic at all.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Don't hold your breath BluenGold. There is barely any difference between NHL10 and NHL11 when it comes to Be a GM.

The sim stats are still the worst in any sports video game. Patrick O'Sullivan nearly won back-to-back Art Ross Trophy's.

The trade logic is ridiculous and beyond that, it's really a shallow experience.

But this is common among EA games now. They really couldn't care less about offline gamers. It's all HUT, MUT, FUT, BUTT, etc.
That's because they can make millions off of micro-transactions so little Johnny can use his Momma's credit card to make sure he has the fastest skater and hardest shot on the first day.

With offline, where do you make the money?? You can't, so they give the finger to all of us.
I don't expect anything different for NHL12.
Expect Ovechkin, Stamkos and Crosby to struggle to put up 80 points.
Expect someone like Andrew Ladd to score 120 a year.
Don't expect any sort of 'My NHL' type presentation like the 2K games offer.

Unless you have a Wi-Fi connection, EA doesn't care about you.
Everyone here has been complaining about the same problems with Be A GM since 2007 and all of those problems still exist.
So nobody here should be surprised in the least when NHL12 is no different. But hey, I bet HUT gets a huge upgrade!!!
Even if they did fix the sim engine, and the stats were within a reasonable range, the inability to view the players' stats (and awards, cups won, etc) would still kill the BeAGM mode. As with the sim engine, this has been going on for years and likely will continue right into NHL 12 and beyond.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »