Home

MLB 2K11 Demo Impressions Roundtable

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Demo Impressions Roundtable within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB 2K11 Demo Impressions Roundtable

Chase Becotte: Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

Most of my initial thoughts about MLB 2K11 can be found in the preview I wrote a couple days ago, but this demo basically serves to cement a lot of those impressions.

Christian McLeod: For once, I'm with Chase. If you can look past some of its rough graphical and animation edges, the MLB 2K11 demo plays a very solid game of hardball.

Caley Roark: I'm with you guys: I think there is a fun game of baseball buried somewhere in 2K11. However, I'm not sure the demo reflects that. I saw too many flaws in the demo to truly say that 2K11 has improved a great deal over 2K10. (For the record, I thought 2K10 was much better than 2K9.)

Chris Sanner: If you are not as into realism as a hardcore baseball guy is, and if you are willing to overlook some pretty dumb AI moves, I think MLB 2K11 is going to be your type of baseball game. The Show can be a bit overwhelming to the ****** baseball player, and I think 2K has wisely tried not to copy The Show's success verbatim.

Read More - MLB 2K11 Demo Impressions
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Banned

Redemption's Arena

OVR: 0
Chris, I find it odd that you say hardcore fans will not be able to overlook some issues and then you point to Timmy being pulled as evidence. Really?

From what I understand, the 3 inning game either acts like the 7th/8th/9th, or 3rd/6th/9th (this is also why you see pinch hitters/runner in the 2nd during the demo). Either way, the 2nd inning is equal to either the 6th or 8th, and certainly pulling your starter after he starts either of those innings and gives up a couple quick runs is reasonable.

Idk, it just seems silly that that is what you decide to bring up as your major criticism of the game. Surely there were better ways of expressing your "The show is realistic, 2k is not" argument. No?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Chris Sanner: If you are not as into realism as a hardcore baseball guy is, and if you are willing to overlook some pretty dumb AI moves, I think MLB 2K11 is going to be your type of baseball game. The Show can be a bit overwhelming to the ****** baseball player, and I think 2K has wisely tried not to copy The Show's success verbatim.
What kind of back-handed BS is that? After the work 2K put into differentiating the fielders and pitchers, and the dynamic ratings, you could argue that 2K11 is on the verge of becoming the most realistic game on the market.

And while it may not be there yet, the notion that The Show is overwhelming to the ****** fan is beyond a joke. In fact, it's reliance on style over substance, as it looks amazing, it exactly what draws in the ****** fans that don't nail The show for its problems.

But I've seen this kind of comment from the community day guys enough to know that they are just carrying out more of Sony's PR for them. But it really had no place in this look at the 2K demo.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Rookie

ericdrum's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: MLB 2K11 Demo Impressions Roundtable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
And while it may not be there yet, the notion that The Show is overwhelming to the ****** fan is beyond a joke. In fact, it's reliance on style over substance, as it looks amazing, it exactly what draws in the ****** fans that don't nail The show for its problems.
Yeah I don't see how the Show is overwhelming at all. That game can be dumbed down as much as you want it to. I think I understand where Chris is coming from, but he could have chosen different words. At the end of the day for me... I know that the Show is "better", but you'll never convince me that it's more fun. For some reason I can play 2k for hours and can't play the Show for nearly as long. I'm buying both, but I can tell you right now... 2k will get double the hours.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7

Good job guys. 2k is great for a pickup fun baseball game. I need Rule 5, Waivers, Status 1, finances, etc...etc.....for my baseball lust though. ****** gamers probably wouldn't care for it much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Wouldn't Rule 5, waivers, etc. be more suited for Front Office Manager though?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontHateOnNumber2
Yes it would, but when you add gameplay and graphics, it's even better.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontHateOnNumber2
I wouldn't say that. But they are pretty much meaningless when the AI cannot make smart basic roster decisions. As I've said before, this is not an issue for The Show specifically, as I have yet to see an AI be capable of the kind decision making required to makes trades, draft players, cut players, and sign free agents in any sports game.

Including it is just more style over substance. It makes gamers think the game is deep, so they can brag about their dynasty in which they laid waste to a feeble AI.

But seriously, this notion that 2K11 is just for ****** fans, while The Show is for hardcore fans is just PR spin from Sony to deflect the advances 2K have made in player differentiation. 2K11 has been stats heavy, and has made the game deeper from a strategic standpoint. Instead of discussing that, community day guys have run with the ****** game spin.

I appreciate the criticism of the demo that the other guys have made, as they are based in the reality of playing the game. These are things that either need to be fixed, or we have to weigh how much they impact the overall game experience. I'd be a fool to say that the demo came off as perfectly polished. And some of the stuff may be part of what we have to live with in this version.

I'm just objecting to the fanboyastic take Sanner had. It didn't relate to the game in hand, and just served as PR spin for Sony. It felt out of place in this roundtable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »