Home

Check Swing Appeal Still a Coin Flip?

This is a discussion on Check Swing Appeal Still a Coin Flip? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Crunchy

Mabster's Arena

OVR: 7
Check Swing Appeal Still a Coin Flip?

I've always had to turn the check swing appeal off because the umpires calls just seemed random and not based on if your bat actually crossed the plate or not. So far, for me, it seems to be the same in '11.

What has everyone else experienced?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Check Swing Appeal Still a Coin Flip?

I have to agree. So many clearly wrong calls on this last year, the demo seems to be very similar in this regard so again I'll be turning check swing appeals off.

The good thing is if you still blatantly go too far the home plate ump will call it anyway.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

MLB Umpires get this wrong all the time in real life. As poster above said, I just recommend turning it off if you don't like the "human" factor.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabster
I've always had to turn the check swing appeal off because the umpires calls just seemed random and not based on if your bat actually crossed the plate or not. So far, for me, it seems to be the same in '11.

What has everyone else experienced?
What hitting controls are you using? I found the same issue last year with the buttons but I've been playing with the analog controls and so far my check swings have been very accurately called. There's only been one that I could argue against but it was extremely close.

I think the appeal actually depends more on the pressure on the button than it does the animation of the player. With analog you have more room for error.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinSainn
What hitting controls are you using? I found the same issue last year with the buttons but I've been playing with the analog controls and so far my check swings have been very accurately called. There's only been one that I could argue against but it was extremely close.

I think the appeal actually depends more on the pressure on the button than it does the animation of the player. With analog you have more room for error.
I have had the same experience this year with analog hitting. It definitely seems like they have been called much more accurately.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
Crunchy

Mabster's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinSainn
What hitting controls are you using?
Using analog. One "swing" didn't even leave my shoulder and was appealed as strike three.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal
MLB Umpires get this wrong all the time in real life. As poster above said, I just recommend turning it off if you don't like the "human" factor.
This. It is clearly subjective most of the time in real life, just as balls and strikes.

If it was right all the time in game, then that would feel too computerized. We like the random strike zones don't we?
Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
This. It is clearly subjective most of the time in real life, just as balls and strikes.

If it was right all the time in game, then that would feel too computerized. We like the random strike zones don't we?
Actually I'd prefer MLB to take the human element out as much as possible like most other sports have but because baseball and its fans can't stand to break tradition I'll keep it in the game when I play for authenticity but I by no means like it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »