Home

If you need help hitting come here : long but detailed read

This is a discussion on If you need help hitting come here : long but detailed read within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Talking If you need help hitting come here : long but detailed read

I have seen a lot of threads about the new hitting and wanted to provide some quick effective tips and things you can try right now with the DEMO to get a good aggressive feel at the plate instead of the attitude I hope I make contact which will always come back to bite you at the worst the worst times when you need to let your sub-conscious mind and muscle memory take over and not worry about your swing .

I can help you get to 300 and higher , hitter dangerous and a very feared player with runners in scoring position

First hitting in General: Ted Williams , had one of the best approaches to hitting when he phrased the saying " DON'T SWING AT ANYTHING YOU HAVEN'T SEEN OR PREPARED FOR " what that means until you have seen a curve ball for a strike you should not be swinging at curves, same for fastballs, change ups sliders etc. Hitting effective must match your mental game with your Physical the way your mental game gets involved is when its able to calculate without worrying about swinging "this is called taking a pitch"

Ted Williams went by these 3 key rules
  • I will not swing on my first at-bat until I have seen the fastball ,
  • I will not swing or more important guess a pitch or location which I have not seen yet
  • My first time at bat unless my team has already scored a run I will take the first pitch to let the brain start to calculate with my visual system what I kind of timing I need to have

Now I see so many players go Okay take 1 pitch and I am good right ? NO you must get comfortable with taking pitches in all counts because during a game all counts are going to show up somewhere and you will have to adjust if you haven't practiced and know what you can do in certain counts you are going be far less effective and not attacking but reacting

So here is what I want you guys who are having issues to do while the DEMO is here getting ready before the retail version hits

Now here is the catch on how the brain works when you are telling it do something: It focused on that 1 thing and you overload it that's when the frustration will follow. But when you have proper technique for your style and it becomes automatic then it has moved from conscious to your sub-conscious or in Baseball and Sports we call this Muscle memory "YOU DON'T have to think about it " then more pieces can be added like for instance tracking or swinging at the right time , now let me help you get the frustration part of training out of the way.
-=====================-----------------

STEP1: Put the show back in and load it up

STEP2: Switch to the away team to hit , in this training you are never going to pitch , you won't to get better at hitting right and remember what I said about overloading the brain when its conscious and trying or being forced to do something. So remember when 3 outs are made just pause and switch to the next team coming up

STEP3: The first counts you must learn to hit in baseball are 0-0 /0-1 / and 0-2 : WHY these are pitchers feast counts , you show 1 tendency to go out the strike zone and pitchers will mix and match you all day with off balance and just off the plate fastballs on these counts. Once you learn to lay off these counts and are able to attack when need be the pitcher has to start thinking on how to get you out based on your swing and not your aggressiveness , when pitchers think they tend to overthink and make mistakes. 1 other count is the 1-2 but this count can be used against the pitcher or for based on how you approach the first 3 pitches I will explain in the next training step why

Okay so 0-0 I want you to visualize hitting a line drive right back through the box that either becomes a single that the outfielders cut off or a double , after you have this visual you are now ready to step into the box and here is what you do . As the pitcher begins his windup I want you to have that visual in your head of what kind of stride it takes to perform this task as the pitcher gets to his "alignment" when his body is sideways arm is in the cocked position I want you to start to slowly stride with your visual… THE KEY IS DON’T SWING!!!! , You want to get a feel for what it feels like not to swing and track the ball striding. If the count goes to 1-0 I want you to then pick a spot in the strike zone where you like to hit and look for your pitch there DON'T USE GUESS PITCH for zone or pitch type that comes later .
If the count goes to 0-1 I wan you to do the same thing , TAKE THE PITCH " GET USED to being down in the count and comfortable this is what will make you a better 2 strike hitter . NOW THE MOST IMPORTANT on training phase 1 if he goes to 0-2 DON'T SWING AT THE O-2 Delivery instead focus on that visual you have and how you would have to adjust from what he throws to the actual pitch location to either fight off the pitch or go with it to try and achieve your result . DO THIS FOR BOTH SIDES FOR 1 INNING. You will start to see what I mean by getting comfortable and will be way less prone to chase in these crucial counts

PHASE 2: TAKE 1-0 2-0 2-1 3-0- 3-1
Now you are probably going why the hell would I do that? This is done for a few reasons
  • When you have the 7th 8th 9th hitter and your team is having trouble making contact , making the pitcher throw strikes in this count sets up the top of the lineup timing
  • The more energy a pitcher uses in the back of the lineup the less speed, break , and control he has when the top of the lineup arrives
  • You must learn to hit in your hitters zone on these counts otherwise the pitcher will nibble inside the strike zone and you will be swining at the pitchers strike zone or worse the umpires instead of yours, don't worry soon enough when you get comfortable this will counts you can really zone in and do major damage when runners are in scoring position

OKAY THE TECHNIQUE: Visualize the strike zone , now shrink it I want you to make that first strike be somewhere near your shrunk strike zone , I want you to visualize smoking the ball over the outfielders head on line drives , and if you can't visualize just look at some major league clips of your favorite player and what it looks like when they get this crisp shot.

You are now swinging 0-0 0-1 1-1 2-2 3-2,
You are now taking and learning how to adjust on 1-0 2-0 2-1 3-0 3-2

Do this for 2 innings to really get a sense of man I wish I was swinging in that count, that’s the attitude you want to have in your brain that fire that says if this pitcher falls behind I am going to get him. You can't do that when hoping for a hit.

PHASE 3: These are the hardest counts to hit in baseball and also the ones which lead to the highest AVG AND production of walks VS RBI THE 1-1 1-2 2-2 3-2 , remember when I said 1-2 can go either way that is because if you were discipline and didn't chase 1-2 is a decide count for the pitcher then he must decide can I really throw him another strike or can I trick him by using something that looks like a strike near his zone and breaks out of the zone. This is when pitchers can out guess themselves and leave hanging curves and sliders or 2 seamers right across the plate.

I want you swinging on every count except 1-1 1-2 2-2 and 3-2 : I want you in these counts visualize what it feels like to hit the ball to the opposite field gap and move runners by hitting to the right side of the infield. Do this for 1 inning and when the real time comes your muscle memory will know what pitch to lay off that induces a double play and what pitch the pitcher made a mistake and gets roped to the GAPS

PHASE 4: Mix in power and start guessing on counts that you can swing at locations you like when ahead, be careful about guessing because most leagues will have that turned off but the key is if you have visual in your head that you can find when at the plate guessing becomes a non factor . Mix in power and guessing With the other 3 modes once you have played a few games using this technique for the counts you will swing on, just like in life when you think more power the reward is higher but the timing has to be more precise and less room to check because you are using more force to generate bat speed.

REVIEW
  • NO PITCHING: PAUSE MENU SWITCH SIDES For which ever team is at the plate
  • Use the phases to increase your plate awareness the key is for the counts in each phase to actually take the pitch no matter if it’s a strikeout or not this is your training where you want to strike out and get positive feedback , another thing you can do for the counts I ask you to strike out yell out ball or strike as you stride that is instant feedback if your eyes , timing , and stride were aligned. Forgot to add when doing the training don't focus on swinging based on if bases are loaded or not keep going with the training if bases are loaded and ALBERT P is up 0-2 take the pitch remember you must get to the points of being comfortable and not jumping in every situation and count , you will thank me when you hit that 9th inning home run on a 1-2 2-2 0-2 count because you made the pitcher know you are a discipline hitter who is aggressive in the strike zone
  • Don't worry about the score, and when you start getting crisp hits pause the game go to the batting chart and see where that pitch was , start building your hitting chart for the positive count s for pitches in that location , soon you will see you can adjust 3-4 inches off that location and start to really control 1/2 of the plate
ADDED STRIKE ZONE TO HELP YOU VISUALIZE :

If you need any help PM me or hit me up SPORTSGUYMD , hope to play some great CO-OP and online baseball this year with you GUYS

Last edited by Visionsofmastery; 02-25-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
MVP

myghty's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: If you need help hitting come here : long but detailed read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionsofmastery
I have seen a lot of threads about the new hitting and wanted to provide some quick effective tips...
I read quick but the post kept going & going & going....

Just messing. Good read

PS5/PSN: myghty

Last edited by myghty; 02-23-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
The Champ Is Here

Doormat's Arena

OVR: 27

NICE!
recommended
Old 02-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Very good post. This is what make the Show such an enormously fun baseball game. I wish I had this game back in HS to learn the virtue of patience! I would've done much better if I was not such a hacker, smacking the first hittable fastball every time.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Rookie

appreciate the love fellaz hope to see yall on the show online to hit some hanging sliders and mistake FASTBALLS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 3

Great post, but I don't agree with taking 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, etc.

Those are hitter counts, and in those counts more often than not you are getting a fastball. A lot of times the pitcher is throwing a fastball that will catch a large part of the plate in that situation. It doesn't make sense to take. If it's close, yeah you would take it. But if they are just going to lay one in there...
Old 02-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
Rookie

Cabera read again BRO : you will see this is for training the eye based on the count and getting comfortable with taking and hitting pitches in all counts , as you wills see each phase lets you swing at certain counts and take in certain counts

This is for those who are having trouble hitting who have no idea what there custome strike zone is so that they can attack when those hitting counts come up , most of the time when people are having issues its because of 1 of 3 reasons

1.They think hitting counts means a fat one right down the middle , any good pitcher will throw changes if you show to much aggression and mix in inside the plate border line strikes

2. They don't know there zone 1-0 2-0 3-1 3-0 means nothing if you don't have a unique hitting zone that it yours and can attack it , this is the reason this is a training drill to take in these counts so you can see what it looks like how pitchers will try and attack you when they have to throw a strike. Of course when game-time comes like on-line etc its going to be up to the player to decide am I in sync to swing now or not but for this training is what helps discipline the eye and focus on each key area of hitting 1 phase at a time
3. 7TH 8TH 9TH HITTERS with 1 and 2 outs in baseball with nobody is on is to make the pitcher work because pitchers who throw strikes in hitters counts have to user energy and mental focus , by the time he has gone through the 7th 8th and 9th with full counts or more than 10 pitches the top of the lineup is now ready to feast on sub-par fastballs , breaking balls which miss the spot low and away and sliders which hang for bombs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabreraMVP
Great post, but I don't agree with taking 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, etc.

Those are hitter counts, and in those counts more often than not you are getting a fastball. A lot of times the pitcher is throwing a fastball that will catch a large part of the plate in that situation. It doesn't make sense to take. If it's close, yeah you would take it. But if they are just going to lay one in there...
Old 02-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

I can't seem to hit for dear life in the demo, but I've played fairly well on Legend last year (granted I haven't played for like three months). So this guide doesn't help me, but it's a very good read. You can only learn to hit if you know how to take walks and work the count.

But that doens't mean you should take 2-0, 3-2 or 3-0 EVERY time. Just look for a pitch you like and hit it hard if it's in that spot. If it's not: take. Worst case scenario is you've taken a strike you weren't looking for and you're still 2-1 or 3-1.

Be sure to check out my Padres franchise daily!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »