Home

New Franchise Idea: Create Your Own OVR Formula

This is a discussion on New Franchise Idea: Create Your Own OVR Formula within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
New Franchise Idea: Create Your Own OVR Formula

So I was just thinking a great way to implement "scheme specific" overalls would be to give us the ability to create our own OVR formula for each position, then a players OVR would adjust to our preferences.

Each player's OVR number would change as you change and evolve your formula. If I make THP 40% of my OVR for QBs (I think EA is at 18% or so), then a guy like Cutler would have a much higher OVR for my "system."

I think this would satisfy all those who actually hate the OVR rating, but would open things up for a ton of creativity in franchise mode. It's just like how all 32 teams have different preferences in players and different systems to fit them to. We would now have that power.

Imagine the possibilities for each position.

Any thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 36
Re: New Franchise Idea: Create Your Own OVR Formula

Only if you could tie it to a coach, not a specific team. That way as coaches get hired, fired, etc...the scheme changes too.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
So I was just thinking a great way to implement "scheme specific" overalls would be to give us the ability to create our own OVR formula for each position, then a players OVR would adjust to our preferences.

Each player's OVR number would change as you change and evolve your formula. If I make THP 40% of my OVR for QBs (I think EA is at 18% or so), then a guy like Cutler would have a much higher OVR for my "system."

I think this would satisfy all those who actually hate the OVR rating, but would open things up for a ton of creativity in franchise mode. It's just like how all 32 teams have different preferences in players and different systems to fit them to. We would now have that power.

Imagine the possibilities for each position.

Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
Only if you could tie it to a coach, not a specific team. That way as coaches get hired, fired, etc...the scheme changes too.
Combine these two ideas, and brilliance.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
Rookie

ridemooses's Arena

OVR: 8

Good idea to incorporate QB's into systems, for example accuarcy and ball protection is important for certain systems. As for other systems maybe you look for a QB with more Power and Deep Ball Accuracy.

This idea is part of a larger vision of giving a Franchise mode where you can create your own "system" where you would do a fantasy draft and pick players who fit your scheme/philosophy.

As for each NFL team I would love to see EA create unique philosophies for each team where you would be encourged to pick players up through the draft or free agency who fit your system and if they don't the player worse (have worse overalls).

All part of a much larger vision of Madden.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #5

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

I know it doesn't really contribute to your thought but I would love if OVR was eliminated all together.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I know it doesn't really contribute to your thought but I would love if OVR was eliminated all together.
I don't think that the rating can disappear altogether as some mathematical function to evaluate a player's skill has to exist for the computer to manage its roster. That said, I'd support masking it (with letter grades or abilities) or hiding it altogether from the end-user as well.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 10

I don't see the point of this.

Changing the OVR wont make a player perform worse or better than their current overall as that comes down to individual ratings anyway.

The only use I see for it is to use it as a scouting tool. If you want QB acceleration and throw power to be important then you can sort by OVR and see who tops this list for that. etc etc
Old 02-11-2011, 01:05 AM   #8
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono078
I don't see the point of this.

Changing the OVR wont make a player perform worse or better than their current overall as that comes down to individual ratings anyway.

The only use I see for it is to use it as a scouting tool. If you want QB acceleration and throw power to be important then you can sort by OVR and see who tops this list for that. etc etc
The point would be to provide a customizable grading metric for all the players at a given position. In your example, you would customize the grading function so that acceleration and throwing power had higher weights in determining the player's overall rating, giving you a more accessible scouting tool and one more accurate for the player you like to have at quarterback.

This would also save, at minimum, one button press on each player to view an appropriate rating (pulling up the player card), or however long it takes to scroll over to the desired attribute column.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »