Home

Superb Startigist - The Best Investment You Can Make!

This is a discussion on Superb Startigist - The Best Investment You Can Make! within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-31-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 13
Superb Startigist - The Best Investment You Can Make!

"Increases the Strategy skill level of all coaches that report to this Coach by 2 levels. This effect only occurs ONCE at the the the skill is purchased." - Per NFL HC 09.

The strategy part works as promised, and it increases the cap of the "Strategy skill" by one if you have it maxed out. However, besides that, it seems to increase other skills as well. For example:

OC - Caldwell - Increased every (Except RB learning) cap by one level. Playcalling as well.

DC - Umholtz - Same thing for all the developmental skills, as well as the potential for TC (I believe) to 5.

STC - Staymates - Increased all K/P caps one level.

QBC - Rathman - Probably the most confusing one. Increased his TC and PC level by one, then added a cap. (3/3 to 4/5). Also increased Strategy to a cap of 5, and added one to his development skills.

RBC - Huey - Increased every one of his "basic skills" caps by one level. His development skills were maxed out.

WRC - Johnson - Increased every cap by 1 level that was not already maxed.

OLC - Brunetti - Increased his basic skills from 3/4 (All 4) to 4/5 (Everything but strategy) and 4/5 (Strategy). also increased every development cap by 1.

LBC - Katcavage - Interesting here too. It seems that it did not increase his strategy level (Unless it caps at 4, correct me if I'm wrong), but added 1 cap to everything that wasn't maxed. He is now capable of completely maxing out.

DBC - Duncan - Increased and added an extra cap to his strategy skill. Increased cap for every skill by one. Can max out except for TC.

DLC - Daisher - Increased every cap by 1.

GM & Trainer - Did nothing, unfortunately.

Recap - BUY THIS SKILL! It seems to do more than what is mentioned. If you could, I would appreciate if you would do some more testing on this skill. Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Superb Startigist - The Best Investment You Can Make!

I did some testing with a created coach and here's what I found:

1. Increases the strategy skill for the HC by 2.

2. Increases the strategy skill for the remainder of the coaches by 1, as long as the Strategy skill is greater for the coach is greater than 1. If it is 1, it will not increase. I had a DLC with 1/1 for his Strategy skill. The cap increased by 1, but it did not increase.

3. Increases the cap for Team Chemistry, Playcall, Strategy, and Performance by 1, as long as it's not already maxed-like Mentor.

4. Increases the cap for all developmental skills by 1-like Leadership.

I'll do some testing now with an existing coach-like Lovie Smith.

I have to agree it's one of the the best special skills.

So I simmed a Giants career with Coughlin, only to find out there's no change with the HC besides increasing Strategy 2 ranks. I thought it might increase the cap on dev skills or regular skills or increase ranks in skills, but it doesn't. It's clearly a skill you should get before getting Leadership or Mentor. Leadership will fill out the extra position development skill caps you get from Superb Strategist. It's too bad Leadership won't improve the 4 basic skills. Educator will fill out the extra cap you get from Mentor. You could actually have 2 separate events-Superb Strategist and Leadership, Mentor and Educator for the second. I'm going to start a new career with this in mind.

Last edited by Mike3207; 01-31-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: No change with regular coach.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 13
I'd like to bump this thread as it is a great knowledge point for newer Head Coachers.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
MVP

I just ran the sim with Coughlin again and this time it did increase the regular skills and developmental skills under him-did the same thing it does for a created coach-my mistake. I'm just more amazed more CPU coaches don't utilize the coachbuilding skills like Mentor and Superb Strategist. After all, it takes the Patriots coach 6 years to buy Motivator.

Last edited by Mike3207; 06-26-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
Rx3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Glad you bumped this, good to know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Superb Strategist is a good skill to buy. It does what vastly more expensive skills do, but at a relative fraction of the cost. I buy that before I start saving toward Mentor, if I even do it at all. Even with Ambition, 51000 for Mentor vs 17000 pts for SS is a massive discount.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Just started!

OVR: 6

So would you guys say this is better than Innovator or Leadership?
Old 06-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AweThenTick
So would you guys say this is better than Innovator or Leadership?
Apples and oranges. Innovator and Leadership are designed to improve your existing player development not replace it. Both are ongoing effects and will affect all coaches you ever have, but only while they're on your team.

Superb Strategist on the other hand is very similar to Motivator and the other coach building skills. The only reason I can figure it's in the Training tree is because it increases Strategy.

Both Motivator and Superb Strategist increase potential, by themselves they don't make either your players or coaches better.Both skills are only as good as your existing player development. Also, they're one time effects-once you use them, you can't use them on any other coaches or players. It's also worth mentioning Superb Strategist is the only skill that will improve development potential for your sub coaches. If you ever let any coaches go that you used SS on, you won't ever be able to improve dev potential for any coaches again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »