Home

In the process of getting a new TV...

This is a discussion on In the process of getting a new TV... within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
In the process of getting a new TV...

Hey guys, I'm in the process of getting a new TV and I want to know what I'm getting before actually getting it. There's a bunch of terminology being thrown around; LED, LCD, 1080p, etc. I just want to know which direction I should be heading in. My main use for the TV will be gaming and watching TV lol. My main confusion is between LED and LCD, and is one significantly better than the other. Like is it worth paying $100+ for the same TV because it is LED as opposed to LCD? What about TVs that have both? Also does the brand matter? Thank you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: In the process of getting a new TV...

If you have a couple of minutes, read this thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...lasma-lcd.html

You'll get a lot of information which will help you in making a decision..
Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quick crash course:

720p vs. 1080p
Two main resolutions you'll find flat panel tvs in. 1080p is the higher resolution. the "p" stands for progressive scan meaning the tv creates the image at 1 time (horizontal and vertical lines done at same time) The closer you sit (and the bigger size you choose) the more important it is to choose 1080p

Plasma vs. LCD vs. LED

Plasma

Uses gas phosphors behind a glass panel to make the image.

Pros--

usually cheaper than comparable LCD and LED
almost no motion blur
darker blacks
best viewing angles

Cons--
tends to be reflective due to the glass panel used
not as bright as LCDs/LEDs (much better in darker environments)
care must be taken early on to prevent image retention (temporary) and burn in (highly unlikely unless you are negligent)

LCDs
Tvs most like your computer monitors
uses CCFLs (cold cathode flourescent lamp) for the backlight

Pros--
very bright
lower energy consumption than a plasma
worry free (image retention or burn in are not concerns)
cheaper than LEDs

Cons--
viewing angles not as good as plasma
blacks aren't as dark (needed to make the picture "pop" out)
motion blur can be an issue (would recommend 120 Hz over 60 Hz)

LED
still an LCD only it uses small LED lights for the backlight
latest flat panel technology
come in 2 basic flavors (edge lit vs. full array local dimming...edge lit has the LEDs around the perimeter and full array has the LEDs spread over the entire panel)

Pros--
thinnest profile and lightweight (at least for the edge lit)
local dimming sets can get blacks nearly equal to that of plasmas
most energy efficient
best combination of the advantages of plasmas and LCDs

Cons--
most expensive
edge lit displays might not be much of an improvement over regular LCDs
slim profile means tiny speakers are put in it

Before buying do your research:
1) What's your budget and what size do you need?
2) Where's it going? (is it a bright room vs. dark room)
3) What's it being used for (daytime viewing, gaming, late night movies)
4) What features are a priority? (internet apps, 3D, LED, etc)

I'd recommend visiting some friend's houses that have TVs you're interested in. Picture will look different in your house than on display in a store (Best Buy, Walmart, etc)

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
If you have a couple of minutes, read this thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...lasma-lcd.html

You'll get a lot of information which will help you in making a decision..
Damn, 46 pages? lol, thanks man. I guess I better get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEC0CK2002
Quick crash course:

720p vs. 1080p
Two main resolutions you'll find flat panel tvs in. 1080p is the higher resolution. the "p" stands for progressive scan meaning the tv creates the image at 1 time (horizontal and vertical lines done at same time) The closer you sit (and the bigger size you choose) the more important it is to choose 1080p

Plasma vs. LCD vs. LED

Plasma

Uses gas phosphors behind a glass panel to make the image.

Pros--

usually cheaper than comparable LCD and LED
almost no motion blur
darker blacks
best viewing angles

Cons--
tends to be reflective due to the glass panel used
not as bright as LCDs/LEDs (much better in darker environments)
care must be taken early on to prevent image retention (temporary) and burn in (highly unlikely unless you are negligent)

LCDs
Tvs most like your computer monitors
uses CCFLs (cold cathode flourescent lamp) for the backlight

Pros--
very bright
lower energy consumption than a plasma
worry free (image retention or burn in are not concerns)
cheaper than LEDs

Cons--
viewing angles not as good as plasma
blacks aren't as dark (needed to make the picture "pop" out)
motion blur can be an issue (would recommend 120 Hz over 60 Hz)

LED
still an LCD only it uses small LED lights for the backlight
latest flat panel technology
come in 2 basic flavors (edge lit vs. full array local dimming...edge lit has the LEDs around the perimeter and full array has the LEDs spread over the entire panel)

Pros--
thinnest profile and lightweight (at least for the edge lit)
local dimming sets can get blacks nearly equal to that of plasmas
most energy efficient
best combination of the advantages of plasmas and LCDs

Cons--
most expensive
edge lit displays might not be much of an improvement over regular LCDs
slim profile means tiny speakers are put in it

Before buying do your research:
1) What's your budget and what size do you need?
2) Where's it going? (is it a bright room vs. dark room)
3) What's it being used for (daytime viewing, gaming, late night movies)
4) What features are a priority? (internet apps, 3D, LED, etc)

I'd recommend visiting some friend's houses that have TVs you're interested in. Picture will look different in your house than on display in a store (Best Buy, Walmart, etc)

Good luck.
I really...REALLY appreciate this. The thing is that after reading your pros and cons, it seems that there isnt a real "better" one, they are all just different. Lets see if answering your questions help you help me make a decision.

1. My budget? I was looking on spending no more than a few hundred dollars. From what I've been looking at so far, it ranges from $300-$500.
2. I bright room or a dark room? Kinda hard to answer that. I guess the room is dark, if the light isnt on lol.
3. It will be used for daytime and night gaming, watching TV(mainly sports), and movies.
4. Features? I dont care for extra features like internet. I just want to have the best picture for when I'm gaming.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3
Damn, 46 pages? lol, thanks man. I guess I better get started.

I really...REALLY appreciate this. The thing is that after reading your pros and cons, it seems that there isnt a real "better" one, they are all just different. Lets see if answering your questions help you help me make a decision.

1. My budget? I was looking on spending no more than a few hundred dollars. From what I've been looking at so far, it ranges from $300-$500.
2. I bright room or a dark room? Kinda hard to answer that. I guess the room is dark, if the light isnt on lol.
3. It will be used for daytime and night gaming, watching TV(mainly sports), and movies.
4. Features? I dont care for extra features like internet. I just want to have the best picture for when I'm gaming.
My recommendations, assuming you want the biggest tv your budget will allow and skipping on non-name brand companies. Also, willing to purchase online vs. a big box store. Amazon is great way to get tv--lowest price, free shipping, free 30 day return.

At $500, you can go 40-42 inch 1080p LCD or 42 inch 720p plasma:

Toshiba 40", 60 Hz ($498 shipped, no taxes) http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-40E200...=operasport-20

Panasonic 40", 120 Hz ($550 shipped, no taxes) http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-L...=operasport-20

Panasonic 42" , 120 Hz LCD ($550 shipped, no taxes) http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-L...=operasport-20

IMO, $50 over budget is worth it to go Panasonic and get 120 Hz (will help with gaming)

At $500, 42 inch plasmas are going to be 720p

LG ($488 shipped, no taxes) http://www.amazon.com/LG-42PJ350-42-...=operasport-20

Samsung ($480 shipped, no taxes) http://www.amazon.com/LG-42PJ350-42-...=operasport-20

Panasonic ($518 shipped, no taxes) http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P...=operasport-20

Personally I'd go with one of the 1080p, 120 Hz LCD sets. I prefer plasmas, but not at the expense of the highest resolution. The LCDs will allow you to game hardcore from day one without having to lower the contrast to counteract image retention that comes with new plasmas.

Good luck.

PS-- If 40-42 inches is too big you can always drop down to a 37" or 32" LCD. My rule of thumb, "get the biggest name brand HDTV your space will allow AND budget can afford"

Last edited by GAMEC0CK2002; 01-12-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
Pro

I wish I could express how much I appreciate your help my friend. I never considered buying online, I like to make purchases like this in person, but I definitely am considering buying online now. I went into Best Buy the other day and there were a few TVs that I narrowed down to, tell me what you think. I'll tell you the specs that I remember.

1. 32" Insignia 1080p, 120 Hz, LED for $450

2. 32" Insignia 1080p, 120 Hz, LCD, Energy Savor for $400 or so

3. 32" Insignia 1080p, 60 Hz, LCD, Engery Savor for $350 or so.

4. 32" LG 1080p, 60 HZ, LCD, between $380.

These were just rough estimates, because they were in store and couldnt find them online and I dont remember the exact prices. As you can see, a 32" is fine for right now lol. Thi isnt going to be the TV in the living room or anything, it'll be for my personal use in my own room, so I dont need 40"+, atleast I dont think lol. Actually 28" would be fine, but they dont make those apparently, and I think 26" is too small. You mentioned that online you'll get better deals, also you mentioned skipping on non-name brands. Why skip on non name brands? $500 is def pushing it..really pushing it btw.

Oh and you mentioned that LED's usually have smaller speakers because they are thinner. I noticed the LEDs have 16 watt speakers and the LCD have 20 watt speakers. How much of a difference does that make?

Last edited by RavensFan2k3; 01-12-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

I'd stay away from 60Hz. The new TVs have 240 for a lot of brands, so 60 is a ways back. Those are all the TVs that get flaunted on Black Friday for people that want size and price, but don't understand picture refresh and the quality you get with a better processor.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
R**k**

Seether4113's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3
I wish I could express how much I appreciate your help my friend. I never considered buying online, I like to make purchases like this in person, but I definitely am considering buying online now. I went into Best Buy the other day and there were a few TVs that I narrowed down to, tell me what you think. I'll tell you the specs that I remember.

1. 32" Insignia 1080p, 120 Hz, LED for $450

2. 32" Insignia 1080p, 120 Hz, LCD, Energy Savor for $400 or so

3. 32" Insignia 1080p, 60 Hz, LCD, Engery Savor for $350 or so.

4. 32" LG 1080p, 60 HZ, LCD, between $380.

These were just rough estimates, because they were in store and couldnt find them online and I dont remember the exact prices. As you can see, a 32" is fine for right now lol. Thi isnt going to be the TV in the living room or anything, it'll be for my personal use in my own room, so I dont need 40"+, atleast I dont think lol. Actually 28" would be fine, but they dont make those apparently, and I think 26" is too small. You mentioned that online you'll get better deals, also you mentioned skipping on non-name brands. Why skip on non name brands? $500 is def pushing it..really pushing it btw.

Oh and you mentioned that LED's usually have smaller speakers because they are thinner. I noticed the LEDs have 16 watt speakers and the LCD have 20 watt speakers. How much of a difference does that make?
I'm not 100% sure if it's still true or not, but Insignia used to be outsourced to LG and has a 2-year warranty instead of the typical 1-year.

PSN ID: seether4113
360 GT: seether4113

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »