Home

Am I missing something?

This is a discussion on Am I missing something? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
Pro

Brew's Arena

OVR: 9
Am I missing something?

I know ratings can be "overrated"... I havent been on 2k much since Black Ops came out but recently have renewed the addiction as BO has gotten boring and Christmas Day had great games galore.

Looking through the updated rosters I thought for sure Blake Griffin would be the highest rated rookie. However, John Wall is currently an 84 when healthy and Blake is only an 82. How is that? Blake is having arguably one of the best rookie seasons weve ever seen for a PF and Wall has shown flashes but has been injury and turnover prone.
Blake has been one of the most consistent players in the league let alone consistent rookies. 18 double doubles in a row, and is 1 of 3 players in the league averaging 20pts 12 rebs.(D. Howard & K. Love)

Am I the only one that thinks Blake should be rated higher than Wall?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Am I missing something?

It's because they play two different positions. People often mistakingly compare players on ratings when they play different positions.

Wall is better than Blake in certain aspects of his game, since he is a good PG, Blake is better than Wall when it comes to being a PF.

If Wall played PF, Blake would be rated higher and vice versa. It's all in the position
Old 12-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Pro

Brew's Arena

I understand the difference in position and that PG is valued more than PF but it still baffles me that he would be considered a higher rated player even with the difference in position.

It seems to me that 2k undervalues rebounding in the game. Even in the player of the game sequences and during the game the commentators more often than not fail to mention rebounding at all. Yet, will mention the 1 steal or 2 assists a big man has.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew
I understand the difference in position and that PG is valued more than PF but it still baffles me that he would be considered a higher rated player even with the difference in position.

It seems to me that 2k undervalues rebounding in the game. Even in the player of the game sequences and during the game the commentators more often than not fail to mention rebounding at all. Yet, will mention the 1 steal or 2 assists a big man has.
I disagree, I don't think they undervalue rebounding at all. In my association I have nothing but great rebounders in my starting lineup because I was finding that I was getting destroyed by opposing teams that were good at rebounding. I think the reason Wall may be rated higher is because he has higher ratings in more categories than Blake. For example, I'm sure Wall has higher quickness, stamina, injury, speed, steal, assists, shooting, etc. So while Blake may be much better at rebounding, low post scoring, dunking, jumping etc., Wall is a higher rated player in more "other" categories. Don't get too caught up in ratings though, they're just a number. I have guys on my team starting with overall ratings in the 60's while I have 70's guys on the bench, it's all about getting guys in there that fit your needs.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Pro

Brew's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phins86
I disagree, I don't think they undervalue rebounding at all. In my association I have nothing but great rebounders in my starting lineup because I was finding that I was getting destroyed by opposing teams that were good at rebounding. I think the reason Wall may be rated higher is because he has higher ratings in more categories than Blake. For example, I'm sure Wall has higher quickness, stamina, injury, speed, steal, assists, shooting, etc. So while Blake may be much better at rebounding, low post scoring, dunking, jumping etc., Wall is a higher rated player in more "other" categories. Don't get too caught up in ratings though, they're just a number. I have guys on my team starting with overall ratings in the 60's while I have 70's guys on the bench, it's all about getting guys in there that fit your needs.
Having good rebounders is a must and 2k simulates that very well in the gameplay.. the only reason I said 2K undervalues rebounding is because for 1 PGs tend to be higher rated than PFs or Cs and also in the commentating they rarely mention the rebounding numbers during a game.
Im running an association with the Clips and through 3 games Blake was player of the game in all three and they didnt mention his double digit rebounds once during the games or in the player of the game sequences. The only time they mentioned it was at halftime. Yet, they mention his measely 2 assists or 1 steal in the player of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »