Home

GT5 and Forza3 questions

This is a discussion on GT5 and Forza3 questions within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
GT5 and Forza3 questions

Hello everyone. I wanna start off by saying that I am by no means a "fanboy" I have both systems, in fact, I owned a 360 before I ever had a PS3. My 360 is not longer being used, though. In fact, the only reason I still even have it is because all my Rock Band DLC is for 360. I really hate that Microsoft charges for online, and I had gone through 3 Xboxs. Anyways, Ive been looking alot into getting a racing game, seeing as how much I loved GT and GT2 back in the PS1 days, I thought GT5 of coarse. Then I learned that Forza 3 was just as good, if not better than GT5 a couple weeks ago. I've been comparing screens and videos and features over the last couple days, and have come up with this:
-1000 cars in GT5 doesnt mean as much since alot of them are the same model, different configuration
- only about 200 of them are actual high quality, but in Forza all 400+ cars are high quality.
- I think the cars look slighty better in GT5 (but seriously, WTF is up with the standard cars?!) but tracks look Much better in Forza (the track graphics are amazing)
- I think forza has better sounding cars
- I REALLY like Forza's customization
- GT5 has NASCAR, dynamic wheather (very track specific, of coarse) and night racing
1.I guess my quesitions are... How many cars on track (offline) in both games?
2. How much customization does each game have? Can you do either spoilers, body kits, wheels, custom paint jobs?
3. Does Forza have trucks? F1 type cars/races?
4. Which game has more tracks?
5. Is it worth it to dust off the old 360 to play Forza? With christmas coming up, I really cant afford both games, and I would rather spend my time with one game anyways. Im kinda leaning towards Forza, even though I've been pro PS3 for the last 2 years. I was just really disapointed when I saw the standard quality cars in GT5 and thought That sometimes...less is more!
Thanks in advance for your responses, and sorry for the long read!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
XSX

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: GT5 and Forza3 questions

i know this doesn't answer any of your questions, but being new to GT5 myself i can say the game drew me in pretty quickly and i like it a lot.

i posted a question regarding damage earlier this morning, that no one answered, but after doing some digging, i came across this:

Quote:
Overview: Graphics -- pretty close to perfect. Gameplay -- it has strengths and weaknesses. Fun factor -- low. I'll start w/ the bad, since I think this is a game best left on the shelves. No damage modelling at early levels (apparently it increases as you progress w/ full dmg at lvl 40 -- I'm only lvl 18, so I don't know what happens at 40). Moreover, there's no punishment for damaging your cars at early levels. Crash into a wall, wipe out an opponent by ramming into him, down shift to 1st gear while moving 140+ mph -- none of it hurts you (other than slowing you down temporarily). Forza blows out your engine for dumb downshifting, and even minor damage will dramatically slow you down in high-end cars in Forza. AI...oh boy, what AI. You hit them from the back, all they do is hit the brakes. You occupy the driving line, they pretend you're not there. And where is the difficulty level adjustment? The low levels -- way too easy, and even the intermediate level races are easy if you have the right car. Finding the right car can also be a challenge. For example, it took me about 10-15 visits to the Used Car Dealership before I could purchase a racing truck. Why shld we wait so long to find ANY car for a particular race, no less a good enough car that can compete w/ the other cars in the field. Previewing what cars you're racing against would also be nice. I love when I enter a race w/ a car that I think will be competitive (i.e., not too powerful but not getting overpowered by every car), but find out I'm racing against cars that top out at 150 while my car is breaking a sweat hitting 120. This problem is especially prevalent at the earlier levels. If this isn't enough to deter you from buying the game, there's more. For example, B-Spec races. B-spec races put a computer controlled driver behind the wheel while you issue commands. I love watching the already poorly designed AI racing for me when I can give it a limited number of commands -- four commands to be exact. And as another reviewer pointed out, these commands seemingly do nothing more than manage the temper of your driver. In the end, I basically end up giving two commands b/c they keep the driver's temper low and they don't affect how aggressive he is. The menu system is clunky, and it takes too long to go from the race screen to the garage to buy parts and vice versa. Rewards for completing races are pathetic. You usually get cars that you just beat. Why do you need a car that you can beat w/ a car you already own? You don't. Car variety is neither a strength nor a weakness. Yes, there are something like 1000 cars. However, a lot of them are just modified versions of a base model or a different production year. Sometimes production years will make a difference, where that's the case retaining the different production years would be wise. In other cases, like the difference between a 89 and 91 civic. are nearly nonexistent and add nothing to the car variety of the game. My biggest complaint about car selection is that there are ZERO Porsche cars. WHAT???? NFS: Porsche Unleashed continues to be one of my favorites simply b/c I'm a huge Porsche nut. I'm not saying we need every Porsche, but at least a few. After all, how do you feature 1000 cars, including Lambos, Ferraris, Audis, etc., but exclude Porsches (licensing agreements may be to blame, but man...). The music in the game is also decent, but why can't we adjust the volume of the background music (BGM) while in the race. And why is the BGM so low, even when the in-race BGM is turned to 130 and the sound effects are at 90. I want to hear the car's engine, but I also want to hear some background music, especially since some of the songs are good. The last complaint is the lack of 360 swivel view when driving, when viewing the cars in your garage, or when a car is presented as a reward. The car models are so beautiful, it's curious that the developers would deprive us of the opportunity to see the full beauty of the machine when we first purchase it or while we're smoking the AI. With such a long list of defects, one may wonder if there are strengths. Well, the graphics are nearly impeccable. The shadows are pretty awful, but the car models are very solid. Frame rates suffer at times, but not so badly nor so often as to make the game unplayable. Additionally, the interior view is very good -- when it's available (premium cars only). The tracks also look gorgeous. The physics of the game are very realistic. GT5's tagline, "Driving Simulator," says it all. The physics and graphics are, in my opinion, the saving grace of this game, if there was one, and there are some other strong points. The engine sounds are very well done. Cars sound like they are supposed to sound. The track variety is impressive, but fairly standard for race simulators. Many of the major real world tracks are there. What's more impressive is the variety of race types. Special events, "career" racing, and license events all add depth to this game. When you get tired of crushing the AI in A-spec, you can switch to one of the other modes to do something new. The one drawback of license races is that you are not awarded money for completing the events. You do gain experience and you're awarded cars, but money is a little tight in GT5, especially when you're trying to purchase a Lambo or Ferrari that costs millions of credits, but you're only winning between 8 and 14K credits per race at the lower and intermediate levels. Yet, there are races open to intermediate level players where the AI drivers are driving Enzos. Good luck rocking a VW GTI or even a BMW 135T against a Ferrari. It ain't gonna happen -- even if you drop a stage 3 turbo under the hood. Overall, spend 60 bucks (or 50 if you get it used) on something that's just more fun. In 2010, graphics of other racers are hardly so poor as to truly distinguish them from GT5, I'd rather play Grid, Forza, or one of the NFS games (other than NFS: Most Wanted 2
Take it for what it's worth.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Rookie

Hooligan's Arena

OVR: 7

I have both, and play both, and I'll give my .02 cents here.

Both games have strong points and "issues" (although I don't think the issues in either are crippling).

I love the setup in Forza's career mode. It's brilliant. I'm not super far in, but the fact that later on, you'll have full 10+ race series with high end race cars make it feel like you are progressing from local track days to big time race events. Plus, you save after every race, which makes it easier to progress through the series (don't have to finish all 5 in one sitting like GT5). I don't play much online, but it has really great online modes and amazing customization options.

I also really like the car selection in Forza. Better diversity and Porsche.

But, on the track, I just like how GT5 plays better. Plus, with GT5, there is so much more to do and experience. Forza you race, then you race, then you race, then you race (which isn't bad), but GT5 has much more variety. You start by running some rally events, then go into some A-Spec races, then do some online events (with 1.05 patch), then go to photo mode, then run your B-Spec drivers for a bit. Even though it's all racing, it's very diverse.

I really like both and play both regularly, but if I had to only play one, I'd go GT5. Especially with the updates they are making, I think it will have legs for a couple of years.

But you really can't go wrong with either. Right now you can get the Collector's edition of Forza3 for $30 which is an incredible deal.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

If customization is a big thing to you, it's a no-contest in Forza's favor. You can modify pieces of the car bodies (hoods, spoilers, side skirts, bumpers), paint the cars however you like (complete with a robust vinyl editor), and tune the cars every bit as much as you can in the Gran Turismo games.

Forza has eight cars on track offline and online. Not sure about GT5, I haven't played it, I'd assume at least six since the first four GT games did that much.

Forza 3 has a few trucks, but not many. I remember specifically seeing a Range Rover and a Dodge Ram. Not sure about F1 cars, I'm inclined to answer 'no'.

Not sure about the track count in either game. I do know Forza has plenty of environments and many have several track layouts.

Since I don't own a PS3 I can't give you a real effective comparison to GT5, but I can tell you that I'm still playing Forza 3 and I'm really enjoying it.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
Rookie

I bought GT5 when it came out and played quite a bit with it for a few weeks. I really like it and I have put a lot more time into this GT than I did in the previous versions. I then bought Forza 3 and I like it as well.

For me, not having a wheel setup, I like the controls on Forza 3 better. Using the triggers for gas and brake is nice. GT5 using the X button and square kinda sucks. It is difficult to ease into either the accelerator or the brake. I also like being able to look around the interior during a race. Adds a little more realism for me.

Car selection are somewhat equal. In GT5 you have the F1s, Rally Cars, Real Nascar cars, and now they have Lambos and Ferraris too. Forza has customizable Nascar cars, Porsche, and I think a better selection of the American made cars. I like the paint and decal editting in Forza although I am very new to it.

The night racing and weather in GT5 are nice. Some tracks in GT5 are better than others. It seems like they really took their time on some and not on others (similar to the standard cars and premium cars). I don't really notice any glaring mistakes or blemishes on Forza 3 but I haven't spent quite as much time with it.

Just my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #6
Rookie

I think I'm just gonna go with Forza. The guy at gamestop said they both feel like a sim, but he really likes the customization in Forza, as it makes every car look totally different from another. He said graphically they look the same to him (and me too), but the standard cars in GT5 are a complete waste of disk space, as are 48 cars that are really either just a civic, NSX, or s2000, and its the same with every make. I dont know, I really like that GT5 has 12 cars on track, waaaaay better than only 8. I appreciate the replies, tho. Im still not sure
Old 12-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Rookie

jms493's Arena

OVR: 12

not sure why but in Forza it feels like I am driving on actual pavement. In GT5 I feel like I am driving on a smooth pane of glass.

The sound in GT is just horrid though.....Forza not much better. WHy cant these 2 companies get this right?

NFS: Shift best sound in a racing game so far.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I like Forza better mostly because of the customization aspects make it much more fun for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »