Home

When Will SCEA Address Boundary Play?

This is a discussion on When Will SCEA Address Boundary Play? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
When Will SCEA Address Boundary Play?

I love this game, it's my all-time favorite sports installment, and it never fails to be fun and totally worth the price year in and year out. However, the one aspect of the franchise which repeatedly has left me scratching my head over the years has to do with how players act and react when it comes to any play that is at or near a wall...

It's just a little detail, but the fact that you can't reach over and/or dive into the first 1-2 rows to snag lame pop outs is something that has been lacking from this series, always. Time to do something about it. This is something that happens pretty routinely in the baseball world... and is exciting. Imagine bailing your pitcher out of a bases loaded scenario with two outs to end a game by lunging into the seats to bring it in...

The other weird issue is the magnetic quality of the wall on plays where the outfielders have their backs to home plate and make a catch. I understand physics might carry a guy further towards the wall, or even into it at times, but sometimes it just seems like the wall sucks you into it, and the animation involved just takes up far too much time... and you pay for it when baserunners advance on that animation. Also, it would be nice if there were some way to incorporate agility into those plays... so that the big, lumbering Carlos Lees of the world might have to take more time to stop and pivot than Carl Crawford would.

I also think there could be more errors from outfielders. I'd love to see a "bad route" animation, or guys doing the "backpedal of death", or getting twisted up on balls hit directly over their heads... losing balls in sunlight, or stadium lights... or anything like that would just add.

Either way, I'm loving this game, changes or not. I can't wait until '11!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: When Will SCEA Address Boundary Play?

You have valid points, as those situations you mentioned need some refinement. They are aware of these things.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

The OF wall play bugs me to no end, but it doesn't come up very much.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 12

Yea, I'm sure we all know what he's talkin' about here. I'll add something to the conversation that usually stems off that animation. There's been many times where I need to get the ball home urgently, but the players don't have any urgency to get it there. I don't think it matters how one times the button presses either. Considering the rest of the game flows so accurately to major league baseball, it should be corrected.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
The OF wall play bugs me to no end, but it doesn't come up very much.
I'm with you on this. It drives me effing nuts when I snag a ball on the ground at warning track and end up dancing with the wall.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I know I've seen players reach over into the seats in foul territory and bring balls back in. No dives into stands though.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I know I've seen players reach over into the seats in foul territory and bring balls back in. No dives into stands though.
It's a triggered animation though...the user has no control over it at all (other than moving the player in place and hoping the animation kicks in...and it doesn't always).

I agree about OF wall play too. I'd like to see not only better ways to make catches near the wall, but be able to manually play the bounces better.

I don't know how many times I've been in a realistically good position to make catch a ball off of a ricochet, only to have it bounce through my player. The trick is, of course, to switch off the player nearest the ball and let the CPU snag it, but I'd like more user control in that area.

I'd also love some type of animation for bare handing a high-hop and gunning a greedy runner down (happens in Fenway quite a bit, given the short distance to the Monster and all the balls knocked off of it).

Really, just a bit better "feel" and sense of control to the fielding in general would be nice.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
It's a triggered animation though...the user has no control over it at all (other than moving the player in place and hoping the animation kicks in...and it doesn't always).

I agree about OF wall play too. I'd like to see not only better ways to make catches near the wall, but be able to manually play the bounces better.

I don't know how many times I've been in a realistically good position to make catch a ball off of a ricochet, only to have it bounce through my player. The trick is, of course, to switch off the player nearest the ball and let the CPU snag it, but I'd like more user control in that area.

I'd also love some type of animation for bare handing a high-hop and gunning a greedy runner down (happens in Fenway quite a bit, given the short distance to the Monster and all the balls knocked off of it).

Really, just a bit better "feel" and sense of control to the fielding in general would be nice.
I don't know what causes this, but to me, it is one thing that sort of plagues the fielding in this game...the fact that CPU can do things the HUM realistically can't unless he goes to a message board to learn a trick. I know they are trying to improve fielding...so I trust them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »