Home

SCEA needs to find a way to mimic hitters with patience/good eyes

This is a discussion on SCEA needs to find a way to mimic hitters with patience/good eyes within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18
SCEA needs to find a way to mimic hitters with patience/good eyes

Whether I'm using Pudge, who swings very early in the count, or Adam Dunn, who gets a ton of walks by being pitched around with the Nats...these guys will usually have BB totals that mirror each other based on my ability.

There should be a difference between a Kevin Youkilis, and a Randall Simon!

Generated counts don't really help with this much as it doesn't give you a feel for the AB for stolen bases, and getting a read/feel for the pitcher.

Having the game "auto not-swing" or something silly like that would take too much control out of the player's hands.

Perhaps having some sort of rating that determines how often balls/strikes are thrown. For instance, Pudge would see a lot of early strikes in the zone and not too many balls. Other guys who walk a lot, might have some simple pitches thrown to lay off of. Perhaps the pitchers just need to be overly cautious towards certain players. I know the game does some of this, but not enough to create good separation for certain players and their BB totals.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: SCEA needs to find a way to mimic hitters with patience/good eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Perhaps having some sort of rating that determines how often balls/strikes are thrown. For instance, Pudge would see a lot of early strikes in the zone and not too many balls. Other guys who walk a lot, might have some simple pitches thrown to lay off of.
Yeah, I've felt this way for a long time. That's how High Heat did it. It would basically calculate the pitcher's likelyhood of throwing balls/strikes against a batters ability to take balls/strikes.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

This is my biggest wish for the game moving forward. Aside from that:

-Players being called up/sent down based on PERFORMANCE and not just injuries (totally lame and inexcusable for a game of this caliber)

-Expansion, relocation, contraction, new stadiums ala ASB 2001.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
MVP

Shaffer26's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Whether I'm using Pudge, who swings very early in the count, or Adam Dunn, who gets a ton of walks by being pitched around with the Nats...these guys will usually have BB totals that mirror each other based on my ability.

There should be a difference between a Kevin Youkilis, and a Randall Simon!

Generated counts don't really help with this much as it doesn't give you a feel for the AB for stolen bases, and getting a read/feel for the pitcher.

Having the game "auto not-swing" or something silly like that would take too much control out of the player's hands.

Perhaps having some sort of rating that determines how often balls/strikes are thrown. For instance, Pudge would see a lot of early strikes in the zone and not too many balls. Other guys who walk a lot, might have some simple pitches thrown to lay off of. Perhaps the pitchers just need to be overly cautious towards certain players. I know the game does some of this, but not enough to create good separation for certain players and their BB totals.
This is would something truly ****!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

I don't know how this would go over, but it could be as simple as great players getting the close call go their way. A border line pitch to Austin Jackson is a strike while the same pitch to Puljos is a ball. Not sure...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
Pro

cactusruss's Arena

OVR: 7

I would love an "Auto Don't Swing" option based on the players plate discipline rating. So if you swing at a pitch out of the zone, a player with a higher discipline rating might not actually swing all the time (but still swing some of the time), a player with a lower rating would still swing more often (but still take some of the time).

And it would be an option, probably turned off by default. But I know I'm not the only person who finds themselves swinging at bad pitches the player they are controlling would never swing at who would like something like this.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

I would go for an auto no swing in the form of a check swing. The further the ball out of the zone, the greater the chance of the check swing. Of couse there could be no appeal. I had to turn that off any way.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
MVP

Shakedowncapo's Arena

Make the spin on the ball more prevelant for the Utleys and Pujols of the world! It would be pretty simple as SCEA would set a baseline for OBP(or a number of stats) and decide if they get it or not. Imagine being on an absolute tear and it kicking in for a few games until you cool off by your own faults?

Thats something I could dig. A more realistic version of batters eye from MVP baseball.

Last edited by Shakedowncapo; 12-12-2010 at 08:32 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »