Home

Don't understand basic basketball strategy

This is a discussion on Don't understand basic basketball strategy within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 3
Don't understand basic basketball strategy

I mean, I'm a guy, and played basketball when I was younger, so I understand the rules and such; the basic premise.

But this game isn't nba jam, or Inside Drive. It very hard, and I need to know advanced basketball strategy to do well.

Is there a site where they explain basketball strategy? Like where the hot zones on the court are, when to call timeouts, what different plays and defenses mean, etc.?

I mean for football, I know the meta game well. If there is eight or more guys in the center of the field, audible to a play that goes outside or a outside pass. Stuff like that. I have no idea about this stuff for basketball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Don't understand basic basketball strategy

The Pick and Roll is your friend.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by takki
I mean, I'm a guy, and played basketball when I was younger, so I understand the rules and such; the basic premise.

But this game isn't nba jam, or Inside Drive. It very hard, and I need to know advanced basketball strategy to do well.

Is there a site where they explain basketball strategy? Like where the hot zones on the court are, when to call timeouts, what different plays and defenses mean, etc.?

I mean for football, I know the meta game well. If there is eight or more guys in the center of the field, audible to a play that goes outside or a outside pass. Stuff like that. I have no idea about this stuff for basketball.
There are many different schools of thought on bb strategy. Each coach does things differently, so it's hard to make hard rules.

A few off the top of my head:

Phil Jackson never calls timeouts, he usually allows players to play through runs. But in general, timeouts are often used to disrupt the fictional/real concept of "momentum". So, if a team goes on a 10-0 run (or more, or less) coaches will often call timeout. Or they will call timeout to substitute players, move the ball to half-court, etc.

Pace is a huge factor in perceived defensive value. If you walk the ball up and set up plays- thus, using the clock- your team will get credit for having a really good defense more often than not. See: Larry Brown, Nate McMillan, Scotty Skiles, etc. (Obviously, some of the teams actually do play good defense, but defense is one of the wildest concepts in all of basketball in that it is hard to measure (+/-, opponents performance, opposing team performance, etc.)

Substitutions are usually made anywhere from 6 minutes in (6:00 on the 1st qt clock) to 10 minutes in (2:00 on the 1st qt clock). These players generally return:
A) at the start of the 2nd
B) anywhere from 10:00 - 4:00 in the 2nd

Standard substitution pattern is remove at 4:00 in the 1st and re-enter at 8:00 in the 2nd (this results in the generally accepted starters minutes- 36)

There are other factors at play-- matchups, the Larry Brown substitution (a guy gets really hot, boom! bench him), etc.

You will also often see a guy play all of the 1st only to be subbed with less than a minute left. This is so that the player gets the "extra rest" that the final minute and break provide.

One of the easiest shots on the court is the corner three. The most frequent shot is the mid-range jumper. The most successful shot is at the rim.

I don't know of any sites that teach basketball strategy, but I'm sure some coaches have written books that do.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...=operasport-20

For pure numbers (and they can be very helpful) look here:

Hoopdata.com

Last edited by greenieblue; 11-20-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
Pro

Thanks, it was helpful.

Just curious, why would you want to do a "larry brown", as in bench a hot player?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Thanks, it was helpful.

Just curious, why would you want to do a "larry brown", as in bench a hot player?
I've been trying to figure that out for years. Lol.

Seriously, he either sticks to strict substitution patterns or he thinks that pulling a hot hand has a lasting effect on that players confidence. In other words, he thinks pulling them at that moment will have them sitting on the bench feeling good about themselves.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
...Is there a site where they explain basketball strategy?
There's a site with good forums... I think it's called, uh... Operation Sports.

Seriously, ask here and I'm sure you'll get some good answers. There's a lot of nonsense here, but also smart and helpful people.

I'll start off...

The most basic basketball strategy is to try to get a high percentage shot while on offense, and to make it tough to score while on defense. This would include getting the ball into one of your scorer's hands with the best possible look at the basket... And when on defense doing things like denying the ball, double teaming, and rebounding the ball.

So when choosing what offense or defense to run you need to look at your team's strengths and weaknesses, as well as the same for your opponent, and then plan accordingly.

As far as timeouts, a simple way to look at them is to use them when the other team is doing everything I mentioned above, and you're not. So it's a way to sort of regroup, and stop the other team from running away with things.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:13 AM   #7
Rookie

Yo my man, youtube is your friend. I didn't know what a "Give an Go" was so I searched it on youtube and their were several videos explaining that along with other basketball techniques. Check it out fam.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
Rookie

warrenb's Arena

OVR: 4

Try the links below.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/BasketballOffenses.html

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offenses.html

http://www.jes-basketball.com/animated/366924248.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »