Home

Can I Be Any Worse At This Game? (Tips?)

This is a discussion on Can I Be Any Worse At This Game? (Tips?) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
Go Titans..

OVR: 34
Can I Be Any Worse At This Game? (Tips?)

Somewhat of a rant, but I gotta get this off my chest.

So about a week or two ago I picked up 2k11. Right from the time I put the game in it's the best basketball game I've ever played. Presentation, gameplay felt smooth, they even got the rim to sound like a rim when you miss. For every afternoon I've been practicing, playing some Exhibition games, mainly just trying to get a feel for the game. Well tonight marks almost 2 weeks of this and I still have yet to accomplish anything. My defense sucks, and I can't make a break for the basket for my life.

One of my most used strategies is to use as much Shot Clock as possible, unless I have a good look. Once I'm at the other end I'll either do 1: Pass the ball around and turn it over. 2: Try to juke my defender out and just get shut down. And 3: Have to take terrible shot because of the shot clock going out. I rarely a able to get shots that are worth anything. And when I do I can usually drain them, but that's maybe a handful times a game.

I don't run many plays besides the basic ones "Pick N Roll, Quick Screen, Post up, etc". Is it just me or do the Pick N Rolls this year just not as good? Last year I could run the Pick N Roll pretty well, and now the player doing the pick takes about 10 seconds to set it up and doesn't really try to get open after I've gone by.

So all I'm asking is if anyone even read this, could you shoot me a couple of Ideas, or tips?

And on a side note. Is it just me? Or are there alot of shots that go in and out of the basket?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Can I Be Any Worse At This Game? (Tips?)

What are you playing on? Lower the difficulty if you can.

And run more plays! They're are the best ways to get open. Just don't pass the ball around and try to juke the CPU, it won't work. You have to run plays.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 21

You really need to run plays and have a strategy to playing. Its the 1st basketball game made that really makes yuo have to think at all times. Try messing with the sliders, if your having the computer steal and deflect a lot of passes try lowering the hands and play passing lane sliders of the AI. I usually call a play as soon as i inbound the ball to that way guys get the play moving sooner that way if there is a break down you have time to iso or do a quick pick and roll. I have a lot of luck with the pick n roll.

By the way lower the AI clutch factor to this will help with the computer runs in the game.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 9

Try Inside- Outside. Make the defense colllapse then start your Offense.

Start from the elbow or deeper in the post. Instead of wasting time on the perimeter, passing around like a college game.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

i would think about fiddling around with the sliders a bit. i used to have a problem with the game, too. i initially used the 'simulation' slider preset under hall of fame difficulty. i can usually hold my own for about one half, the the cpu would just own me on the third. a half where i lead by about 5 or so usually ends up with me trailing by 10 or 15 at the end of the third quarter, then i'd pretty much play catch up on the fourth. i would normally end up with a 7 point loss or so. i played about 30 consecutive games that went like this, so something was obviously fishy with regards to the games obscenely clutch AI.

i think a relatively good starting point would be jd's amazing pro/sim sliders

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...n-qrts-52.html

it's not aN end all be all, but i find that this is a good starting point to make the most out of your 2k experience. after about 10 games or so, you can easily tweak the sliders a bit more to suit your playing style
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

Well, I'm new to the 2K series as well and I started playing my first 10 matches on rookie settings with default sliders (didn't know sliders existed). I was winning by 3 points or losing by 5 every match, and it felt fun for me because it was a close game. I kept jacking up stupid 3's with Ray Allen and Paul Pierce and due to the fact it was rookie, maybe 1/4 would go in, which was enough to keep me in the game.

I then changed to Pro, still Default sliders, got my assed whooped as the Celtics by the Raptops (I feel ashamed). Somewhere like 47-123. I then used the Simulation Sliders, and after a few more practice games, I started to lose by around 30 points a game, (12 min quarters). Today, I downloaded JD's sim sliders, which I have then editted a bit, due to some parts that I didn't like.

But the main change which allowed me to finally win today against the 76ers 109-105 was that I used the post players and my big men. They used to shoot maybe a total of 3 shots a game? and my 3 point shooters would jack up 20-30 3's each. I found that using the post players, has become a pretty effective tactic for me, but I am still struggling to run plays for the C's. The only few plays I can run are all for Ray Allen to get open for the 3, nothing else seems to work except for the '14 Punch' which is just a straight pass to Kevin Garnett isolated on one side.

Only hint for the game, keep playing and experiment with the post players. You don't even have to shoot with them, just try backing down, faking, passing out to your shooters if you feel more comfortable that way. I usually only post and shoot if its KG, or its 1 on 1 and you think you can score from whatever distance you're from. Also, if you're playing Assocation, try testing out the different plays for your team because I know plays can be very effective. (Got raped by Igloudala, 37 points, just from 2 damn plays that I couldn't stop)
Old 11-21-2010, 03:10 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

honestly...this is game is pissing me off! I play on All-Star on 9 minute quarters, and I can't even score 10 points a quarter!?! Beasley jus gets bumped and goes nowhere...and noone else I can get a shot off with. I try to use L2 but it does absolutely nothing. I'm almost to the point of stop playing this game cause it frustrates me so much...every thing I read and try to do never works. plays don't work...nothing! I have no idea how to even play this game anymore...
Old 11-21-2010, 03:41 AM   #8
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfan48
honestly...this is game is pissing me off! I play on All-Star on 9 minute quarters, and I can't even score 10 points a quarter!?! Beasley jus gets bumped and goes nowhere...and noone else I can get a shot off with. I try to use L2 but it does absolutely nothing. I'm almost to the point of stop playing this game cause it frustrates me so much...every thing I read and try to do never works. plays don't work...nothing! I have no idea how to even play this game anymore...
Does your game not come with a lower dificulty than All Star? Or can't you're ego handle playing on Pro with adjusted sliders?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »