Home

Why Motion Controls Will Never Be the Focus of Hardcore Sports Games

This is a discussion on Why Motion Controls Will Never Be the Focus of Hardcore Sports Games within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Why Motion Controls Will Never Be the Focus of Hardcore Sports Games

Motion controls being used in sports games? Bah Humbug! In today's world of gimmicky gaming control schemes, there is nothing more infuriating to me as a hardcore sports gamer than for people to think that motion controls are the future of the genre. I could go off on a long-winded diatribe explaining my disdain for motion controls in sports gaming, but it is far easier to point to the historical failure of existing motion-control schemes to illustrate what a mistake it is to believe this gimmick will catch on.

As my colleague Jared Sexton mentions in his article taking a "pro" perspective on motion controls, the Power Glove teased sports gamers with the possibility of actually interacting with our favorite Nintendo sports personalities. Like Jared, I too was beyond disappointed to don the glove, only to find that its motion capabilities were severely limited, and that you still had to rely on a controller that was conveniently hidden on the forearm of the unit -- I never noticed that in The Wizard. It was at this moment my confidence in motion-controlled sports gaming was shattered. Even at the ripe old age of eight, I knew when I had been swindled, and my distrust of anything mentioning "motion" with regards to gaming was in full effect.

Read More - Why Motion Controls Will Never Be the Focus of Hardcore Sports Games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 13
If we arent talking about Golf, Bowling or Tennis it just doesnt work. I tried the motion controls for NBA 2k11..for 5 MINUTES and havent tried them since.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 11
Definitely true. Although motion games may win in the sales column in other genres, people don't play sports games for physical activity.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10
I was in your camp until I played The Bigs on the Wii. That's my favorite game on the console. It blew me away how well they worked the motion controls into the game. If you have a Wii, I suggest you rent it at the least, just so you can see what I'm talking about.

Football, basketball, and soccer are little harder to do. But I think you can add Baseball to the Golf, Bowling, Tennis, and Boxing plausible list. Hockey's somewhere in between. I know Slapshot came out, but NHL11 is just so **** good with the sticks.

Last edited by BaylorBearBryant; 11-17-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Why Motion Controls Will Never Be the Focus of Hardcore Sports Games

I won't disagree with you. Most hard core gamers are set in their ways. And I don't believe the technology is quite there yet.

Although I still see some potential in the motion controls.

And one comment made me think a bit:
"You can not tell me that the average sports gamer is going to spend hours and hours standing and making real-world gestures over the course of an 80-100 game season in a game."
....Currenty video games attempt to mimick the dog days of a long season with things like "chemistry" or being in a "zone"...stuff I don't think works very well. They need to do this because even when we are tired, we can handle a controller as good as any other day. However if we actually had to get off the coach, those "dog days" might be alot more realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 21
Good read. Why the hell would I want to be active while playing a video game. If I wanted physical activity, I would go outside and play the sport.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 9
Wouldn´t mind trying playing goalie in an NHL game using Kinect...
Old 11-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 55
Motion controls have never been a draw to me. I can imagine some as fun gimmicks... but for hardcore online sports gaming? I don't think that'd go over well...

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »