Home

Ways to improve spacing in offline human v human play?

This is a discussion on Ways to improve spacing in offline human v human play? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Rookie

Murkurial's Arena

OVR: 5
Ways to improve spacing in offline human v human play?

I play with the Bulls quite a bit offline against my brother and a friend of ours and in an attempt to play a realistic game, I'll frequently try to make guys like Korver and Deng run off of screens and use the pick and roll to free Rose up to drive to the hole and dish it off.

However, it seems like no matter how open the shooter may appear, it's ridiculously easy for my opponent (who quite often plays a pretty cheesy brand of basketball) to just fly over and contest the shot. Not to mention the way that I will pump fake, get the guy in the air, dribble around to put another quick jumper up and the center comes flying out of the paint to block the shot.

In addition to this garbage, there was an instance against the Lakers where I drove to the hole with Rose against Fisher and Gasol (who was paying attention to Gibson at the time) literally slides all the way from the free throw line to the basket already in his block animation, hacks Rose, and nothing's called.

Earlier today with the Jazz against the Spurs I get a rebound over McDyess and attempt to do what should be an easy put back off the glass (of course they NEVER do the easiest move in this game and seem to WANT to get blocked), and instead midway through his put back, McDyess jumps to try and block it, Milsapp changes his shot up to somehow try and throw the ball over his head with his left hand (ALL he needed to do was simply put it off the glass with his right) and McDyess jumps AGAIN and blocks it. I see way too many of these "this should be an easy layup or dunk, but my player decides to do something that guarantees that he'll get blocked" instances in this game.

Not to mention the unstoppable "pro hop dunk" that players like Rondo routinely do on your big men.

So that last part was a bit of a rant, but the beginning, about the spacing, is something that I'd like to be able to rectify WITHOUT having to impose those, no spamming the drive to the hole, or no crazy passing rules. The cheesers that I play against won't stop doing that stuff and I'm also wondering if other people are having these issues (who try to play legitimately, not the guys who claim to play realistically but just spam ISO moves while running an isolation set and say that they're having success with the game). And is there anything else that you can do besides changing the sliders to something that makes your players move like 70 year-old men in order to the slow down the close-out speeds?

Realistically these players can move this quickly when driving, but when I see guys like Yao and Pau sliding across the floor and keeping up with PGs, I'm wondering why the game didn't do something about lateral quickness for bigs, and simple reaction times for players. It's like momentum doesn't factor in a lot of the time. Nor does the fact that a guy who can't see that shooter in the corner shouldn't be able to turn around on a dime and fly over to contest the shot.

I thought this game was supposed to be a sim as sim can be, straight out of the box?

Last edited by Murkurial; 11-14-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Ways to improve spacing in offline human v human play?

I don't know what to do about the spacing issue, but you might try turning down the contact shot frequency slider. This limits the number of times you're sucked into those "challenged shot" animations, when in reality, they could have just laid it off the glass. This game is very sim out of the box, but I've found it still has some weird things happen and needs a few tweaks here and there.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Ways to improve spacing in offline human v human play?

I have the quickness slider at zero, you may want to give that a try.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »