Home

Joe Schmoe: The Life of a Marginal NFL Quarterback

This is a discussion on Joe Schmoe: The Life of a Marginal NFL Quarterback within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
Rookie

Innocent's Arena

OVR: 4
Joe Schmoe: The Life of a Marginal NFL Quarterback

Joe Schmoe, The Life of a Marginal NFL Quarterback

Sometimes in the course of human affairs an event occurs which changes the life of a single individual. Tonight we take a glimpse into the life of one such individual, a bad luck football player, one Joe Grey, a native of the northern Minnesota city of Duluth, and the son of a hardnosed railway man. Our subject first stepped foot onto the high school grid iron with a team that managed to earn an exciting victory in the first game of his Freshman year, and another stunning win in his final game as a Senior, during which he was benched with a case of the flu. Unfortunately these bookends were the only wins the team would taste in his four years of school, two of which were as the team’s starting quarterback. Despite being a gifted athlete the University of Minnesota, and its branch in Duluth both turned our subject down for football scholarships, “no way, no how, are you ever playing football for my team” a terse coach Brewster reportedly stated.
Life as a collegiate athlete was not much kinder to Joe… but I digress. Sometimes even the life of the most unfortunate of men can be changed by a single, fortunate, event. We join our subject partaking in his chores, chopping wood on a visit home in the blustery month of April, blustery at least in Northern Minnesota.

April 21st
The wind was especially cold this day, as Joe’s father had instructed him to split some wood for the wood stove. Sporting a heavy coat, beaverskin cap, and the heavy mittens locals refer to as “choppers”, and a wood splitter he spent the next hour working in the blustery back yard with the consistent “thump”, “thump” of the splitter accompanying the work. His concentration was interrupted by the buzzing of his cell phone. Taking off his gloves he saw it was one of his friends calling, reluctantly he answered:

Joe: “Hey man, what’s up?”

“Aren’t you paying any attention to the draft today?”

Joe: “Why should I?”

“Because you entered it, remember?”

Joe: “Yeah, I know, but no one’s going to pick me, you know that.”

“Well maybe if that no one is, like, the Green Bay Packers.”

Joe: “What the hell are you talking about?”

“Dude, the Packers drafted you at the end of the third round.”

Joe: “You’re kidding me!”

“No man, you’ve been drafted!”

Nearly dropping the phone, hard luck Joe ran back into the house to find his dad grinning at the television as Mel Kiper looked on the verge of falling out of his chair.

“Ladies and gentlemen, if you thought the Travaris Jackson pick was a reach a few years back, you haven’t seen anything yet. The Packers just drafted a guy, in the third round, whose name doesn’t even appear on the draft boards. Some guy, a quarterback, named Joe Grey. Joey Grey, that’s right, we’re just getting some more information on him: he’s nearly twenty five years old, he started for three years for the Minnesota State Screaming Eagles, a Division III team that has one of the worst records in the entire division. He was redshirted one year, and missed another entire year with a broken leg. It looks like he did participate in the combine, running a 5.39 40. We’re doing some research here on the fly, and it looks like he only won two games as a starter… what’s that? It looks like he was actually out for those wins, guys. The Packers just spent a third round pick on a guy who didn’t even win a game as a college quarterback, in Division III…”

Muting the TV his father looked at his son, as proud as he’d ever been, “I just got off the phone with some guy named ‘Park Place’, says he’ll be your agent. This is a wonderful opportunity son, you’re going to make us a bundle of money!”

Two Days Later
The local press has covered the story with gusto, claiming Joe as a local hero, while the national sports media excoriates the Packers front office for making such a dreadful decision. A few of the most common theories explaining the call have been:
  • A disgruntled employee wrote the wrong name on the draft card.
  • The Packers thought they were drafting somebody else.
  • Ted Thompson lost a bet, and this was the result.
There was even enough interest in Joe that he was brought on television to do an interview for ESPN, an excerpt below:

Interviewer: “A lot of scouts say you need some work in camp. What do you say?”

Joe: “I always need work in training camp… I think in this case that may be an understatement.”

“Did you have any idea that you’d end up with? Are you comfortable being with the Packers, as a native Minnesotan?”

Joe: “ “Honestly this is a huge surprise to me, my guess as to what team I could end up playing with would have been as good as yours. I’ve been rooting against the Packers my entire life, but suddenly they’re my favorite team for giving me the chance to play in the NFL.”

“What can you contribute to a football organization?”

Joe: “ “Responsibility, work ethic, and a desire to win.”

“So now that you’ve been drafted, what’s next on your to-do list?”

Joe: “ “Training Camp. It’s time to prepare to play in the NFL!”

(Editorial Comments:
I am playing this in NFL Superstar mode for Madden 11 for the PS2.
I used only a fraction of my starting attribute point allotment, somewhat randomly.
I do not really know exactly what I am going to do with this, or even if our Joe Schmoe will get to play.
I do not plan to give him the full benefit of practice unless he becomes a first or second string quarterback, third strings just don’t get that much meaningful practice, and the practice setup allows for some pretty ridiculously quick improvement.)
Cleveland Browns
Current Record: 4-3

#17 Minnesota Golden Gophers
Current Record: 5-2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
Rookie

Innocent's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Joe Schmoe: The Life of a Marginal NFL Quarterback

Prior to Training Camp

Meeting of the Green Bay Packers General Management Office
Names changed to protect the innocent.

Man #1: ”So what about this, Joe Grey, guy? They’re calling him ‘Joe Schmoe’, we’re taking a beating in the national press for drafting him.”

Man #2: ”Lets not get into why he was drafted…”

Man #1: ”I wasn’t going to bring that up, there’s nothing we can do about that now, but we do have to figure out what the heck to do with the guy!”

Man #3: ”Well I don’t think we can cut him now, if you think its bad at the moment wait until we waste a third round pick on a guy who doesn’t even suit up for us.”

Man #2: ”We do potentially have room for a third quarterback on the final roster, but do you really think it’ll be better if we waste a roster spot on him than if we simply dump him?”

Man #1: ”Maybe if we keep him on board we can quietly release him next season without raising too much fuss.”

Man #4: ”And we all know fuss is the last thing we need…”

Man #3: ”Have you seen this guys scouting report? Let me read it to you!
”Has a long way to go until he can lead a team. Makes poor decisions too often. This should improve with playing time. Lacks arm strength. Needs to work on his touch to throw more timing routes. Should spend time with a QB coach. Needs help with accuracy. Can buy second chances in the pocket with his feet and is fairly mobile.”

Man #3: ”So what we’ve got here is a scrambling quarterback who runs like Bernie Kosar, with a wet-noodle of an arm and bad touch. Wet noodle’s my word, by the way, I watched some game film of this guy in college!”

Man #1: ”You do know the guy’s never won a football game, right?”

Man #3: ”He didn’t even win anything in Pop Warner?

Man #1: ”He didn’t even play Pop Warner, the guys not won a single game as a starter at any level.”

Man #3: ”Wow…”

Man #1: ”What if we ever need our third quarterback to actually play?”

Man #3: ”That’s not very likely to happen… and if it does, we’re just screwed…”

A Week Before Training Camp

Joe: “Yeah dad, I know.”

Mr. Grey: ”You’re going to make us a heck of a lot of money, son, I’m so proud of you.”

Joe:”I know dad, but I do have to get through training camp first.”

Mr. Grey: ”You’re happy aren’t ya? Still glad I encouraged you to sign up for the draft, I hope.”

Joe:”Yes, I’m glad I registered for the draft, and the Combine was fun and all. I had no idea it’d turn out like this.”

Mr. Grey: ”Turned out a heck of a lot better, I thought we’d be carting you around to training camps to try to get your foot in the door anywhere.”

Joe:”Well fortunately that isn’t necessary, I’m just hoping I’ll make this team!”

Mr. Grey: ”I hope so too, we got even more money riding on you making that team. Just remember that being a third string quarterback means you make a lot of money, won’t get hurt, and can tell all the ladies you’re an NFL player!”

Joe:”Thanks dad, I’ll talk to you when I get to Green Bay!”

Reporting to First Day of Training Camp

Joe Grey in his Packers Uniform

Meeting a team official outside the practice facility:

Official: ”Alright, who’re you kid?”

Joe:”Joe Grey.”

Official: ”Who?”

Joe:”Joe Grey, quarterback out of Minnesota State, the Third Round pick?”

Official: ”Oh geeze, you’re that guy?”

Joe:”Yeah, I’m that guy okay. Look I didn't choose to draft me; I’m just here to play some football.”

Official: ”Alright kid, whatever, go grab some clothes in the locker room and get out on the field.”

As Joe walked by the official turned around to look him over, shaking his head, "Good luck, kid, you're sure gonna to need it."
Cleveland Browns
Current Record: 4-3

#17 Minnesota Golden Gophers
Current Record: 5-2

Last edited by Innocent; 10-26-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
MVP

hockeyplaya2724's Arena

OVR: 29

Wow, amazing start you've got going here. This is a great superstar mode in the making!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 16

Excellent start. following for sure
Old 10-25-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Great start. I'll be sure to check up on this.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Really good start, i'll be following. Which game is this?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

OVR: 17

This is pretty dam good. Nice start. Does he get torn to sherds in training camp by Mr. Matthews?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
Rookie

Jusafan's Arena

OVR: 0

This seems to be one of those rare entertaining franchises! I love it so far.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »