Home

Noticeably Absent From Complaints About NBA 2k11 Is...

This is a discussion on Noticeably Absent From Complaints About NBA 2k11 Is... within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Noticeably Absent From Complaints About NBA 2k11 Is...

I have heard many people complain about NBA 2k11. While there are valid points concerning the fast-break (and precious few other legitimate quibbles), I have also noticed something that we have not heard.

We have not heard that people are playing "basketball" (as opposed to approaching it like a videogame) and still having serious issues. I realized this after going through many of the threads. Very rarely will you here someone say that they practiced plays, scouted their team, changed the settings appropriately, learned the strengths and weaknesses of each player on their team, used basketball strategy throughout the game (e.g. slow it down if overmatched), and still lost horribly to the computer or find the computer to be overbearing. Don't get me wrong, the computer does cheat from time to time and nearly flat-out disallows human fast breaks. However, aside from that and a few minor quibbles, if you play the game like basketball (on the simulation levels), this game will shine and you will see how great it is.

I think if people are not ready to approach the game from a basketball perspective, that's ok. Just bump it down a level. That's great. However, don't use it on the simulation levels and play it as a videogame. I think that people are trying to force NBA 2k11 - at all levels - to play like NBA 2k10 or other basketball videogames. I think people want to pass without thinking, shoot without working the ball for the best shot, dominate with one player and a few isomotion moves, call no plays and just prosecute each possession like there are 5 individuals out there and not a team, take advantage of any defender, and still be successful.

I get it now. NBA 2k11, on the simulation levels, is really like real basketball. You have to be good to be in the game. Sure they make it look easy in real life, but it's not. How many guys on these boards would make it in the real NBA? Not many. How many folks are good at NBA 2k11? Thankfully, if having fun is more important, they give us the choice of a different level. So, take advantage of it. I think those interested in investing more time in the game by planning, scouting, thinking about how they will approach each team, practicing different plays when going against specific teams, working-out with their player, etc..., I think those individuals will play on the simulation level.

Finally, don't get me wrong. NBA 2k11 is not without its flaws. I don't know why the CPU doesn't allow humans to run a fastbreak on All-Star/Sim and above. However, this game is getting better with time. It truly is the GOAT of all sports games - in my opinion. For me, it is quite frankly the best videogame I have ever played in any category.

Now, your thoughts....

Last edited by ZoneBlitz; 10-23-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: Noticeably Absent From Complaints About NBA 2k11 Is...

I think you're completely wrong. I'm sure there are lots of people/children who like to play that way, but I would assume that anyone posting on this forum would play realistically.

People don't complain about the CPU because it plays basketball too well. People complain because the CPU can do things that the user can't do. How often does the user make perfectly contested fadeaways? Not very often, and yet the CPU can somehow make that shot 90% of the time. It doesn't even have to be a great post scorer, pretty much any CPU controlled player will hit that shot over and over again. Often times you could be in position for the block and the ball will just morph right through your hand.

That's just one of many examples, essentially the point is 2k didn't do a good job of translating difficulty. Instead of the CPU actually playing better on the higher levels, it "cheats" the user by supercharging every CPU player and nerfing the user's players.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
MVP

I think you're right on the money, Blitz. Excellent post.

Disappoint, there's no reason to start a laundry list of things that are not perfect, he has stated clearly it's NOT perfect. But it IS great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz
I have heard many people complain about NBA 2k11. While there are valid points concerning the fast-break (and precious few other legitimate quibbles), I have also noticed something that we have not heard.

We have not heard that people are playing "basketball" (as opposed to approaching it like a videogame) and still having serious issues. I realized this after going through many of the threads. Very rarely will you here someone say that they practiced plays, scouted their team, changed the settings appropriately, learned the strengths and weaknesses of each player on their team, used basketball strategy throughout the game (e.g. slow it down if overmatched), and still lost horribly to the computer or find the computer to be overbearing. Don't get me wrong, the computer does cheat from time to time and nearly flat-out disallows human fast breaks. However, aside from that and a few minor quibbles, if you play the game like basketball (on the simulation levels), this game will shine and you will see how great it is.

I think if people are not ready to approach the game from a basketball perspective, that's ok. Just bump it down a level. That's great. However, don't use it on the simulation levels and play it as a videogame. I think that people are trying to force NBA 2k11 - at all levels - to play like NBA 2k10 or other basketball videogames. I think people want to pass without thinking, shoot without working the ball for the best shot, dominate with one player and a few isomotion moves, call no plays and just prosecute each possession like there are 5 individuals out there and not a team, take advantage of any defender, and still be successful.

I get it now. NBA 2k11, on the simulation levels, is really like real basketball. You have to be good to be in the game. Sure they make it look easy in real life, but it's not. How many guys on these boards would make it in the real NBA? Not many. How many folks are good at NBA 2k11? Thankfully, if having fun is more important, they give us the choice of a different level. So, take advantage of it. I think those interested in investing more time in the game by planning, scouting, thinking about how they will approach each team, practicing different plays when going against specific teams, working-out with their player, etc..., I think those individuals will play on the simulation level.

Finally, don't get me wrong. NBA 2k11 is not without its flaws. I don't know why the CPU doesn't allow humans to run a fastbreak on All-Star/Sim and above. However, this game is getting better with time. It truly is the GOAT of all sports games - in my opinion. For me, it is quite frankly the best videogame I have ever played in any category.

Now, your thoughts....
Old 10-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
Banned

Well that's just, like, your opinion man. It's an ok game, highly over rated in my opinion though. Half of the game modes don't even work properly...

Last edited by Disappoint; 10-23-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
MVP

Fair enough. I appreciate different opinions and tastes. Same with music: If everybody liked the same thing, there'd only be one song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappoint
Well that's just, like, your opinion man. It's an ok game, highly over rated in my opinion though. Half of the game modes don't even work properly...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

I try to play it like basketball. Hence my huge issue with all the bumping and cut off animations. It's also why I hate the fact that I can't run fast breaks very well, but the cpu can drop 70 foot passes 2-3 times a game. I don't like the lack of boxing out, and the fact that Ming effing Yao has a 35 inch vert. Beating a defender and them recovering and sliding into me, in fact beating me to where I want to go while already past them infuriates me.

I run plays, and don't penetrate all the time. I average around 35-40 points in the paint. I take about 20 3 pointers.

I try to play it like basketball. It's an excellent video game, but a highly over rated basketball sim game.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappoint
I think you're completely wrong. I'm sure there are lots of people/children who like to play that way, but I would assume that anyone posting on this forum would play realistically.

People don't complain about the CPU because it plays basketball too well. People complain because the CPU can do things that the user can't do. How often does the user make perfectly contested fadeaways? Not very often, and yet the CPU can somehow make that shot 90% of the time. It doesn't even have to be a great post scorer, pretty much any CPU controlled player will hit that shot over and over again. Often times you could be in position for the block and the ball will just morph right through your hand.

That's just one of many examples, essentially the point is 2k didn't do a good job of translating difficulty. Instead of the CPU actually playing better on the higher levels, it "cheats" the user by supercharging every CPU player and nerfing the user's players.
First, I respect your opinion.

Second, I completely disagree. On All-Star/Sim the computer's shooting percentage is - at best - about 43 or 45%. In addition, the computer regularly makes mistakes. I guess the computer can claim that humans are cheating or too good - LOL!

I have had games where the CPU missed several key shots in a row, missed layups, went cold on 3s late in the game, missed dunks, left me wide open, and many more mistakes.

I do not at all see any of what you are talking about on All-Star/Sim.

Of course, that's not to say that the game is perfect. I too am weary of the lack of human fast-breaks, garbage animations that slow you down or take you away from what you want to do, and other items. The game has its flaws. Michael Jordan had his flaws. However, they're both great. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by ZoneBlitz; 10-23-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz
First, I respect your opinion.

Second, I completely disagree. On All-Star/Sim the computer's shooting percentage is - at best - about 43 or 45%. In addition, the computer regularly makes mistakes. I guess the computer can claim that humans are cheating or too good - LOL!

I have had games where the CPU missed several key shots in a row, missed layups, went cold on 3s late in the game, missed dunks, left me wide open, and many more mistakes.

I do not at all see any of what you are talking about on All-Star/Sim.
I don't care about percentages, I never said anything about the CPU shooting a high percentage. You must be playing in the d-league because even on pro when the CPU puts the ball in the hands of any good post scorer the shot is going in regardless of what you do. Double team? Doesn't matter.

Hell I have about 6 replays from the first few days I played, in every single one of them you will see a CPU big man shooting through the arms of defenders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »