Home

Minecraft

This is a discussion on Minecraft within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Ice Cold

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47
Minecraft

www.minecraft.net

Anyone played this game? I just bought it and I am loving it! Basically you wander around a giant, random world, gather various materials, build things with said materials, fight zombies. The main aspect of the game is building and combining various resources to make tools and other items that can make building easier.
Don't be put off by the odd graphics, this game more than makes up for that in fun factor.

I just spent about 4 hours building this giant house on an island - an island I created - out in the middle of the water...thus making it virtually zombie proof. Fun times.

It's still in Alpha, but if you buy it now it will be about $10-15 cheaper than the final product AND you don't have to pay again for the final product, so it's a pretty good deal if you get it now.

There is a free version called 'classic' so you can test the waters if you aren't sure(which is what I did).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Old School

MachoMyers's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Minecraft

Yeah Minecraft is great. I bought a copy last weekend and have only played a bit but its definitely something I will keep coming back too.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

OVR: 37

I bought it 2 or 3 days ago, having alot of fun just randomly building things. Last night I made a boat to see what was around and found alot of caves by this sand pit. Ended up building a make-shift sand house for a quick stop before it gets dark.

The cool thing I like is that Notch left the game open so you can fix whatever you dont like. I ended up putting in new cobblestone and a better door graphic along with the moon and sun. So many options, good decision by him since a community with mods will keep a game alive for a very long time

Last edited by av7; 10-02-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
Ice Cold

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

^True that, mods can infinitely extend the life of a game, especially one like MC.
Have you guys tried out this app called Cartograph? It generates a top down map of your world(it takes longer to generate the map the larger your world, so it can be a little unstable at times)

This is a snippet of my first world's map:

...quality of this kind of took a hit but whatever.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

I saw that on the forums but didnt know how much of a pain it'd be to run. I really like my 2nd world but it just doesnt have great caves which sucks. You luckily have a huge sandpit right by you for glass
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

Halloween update http://minecraft.net/boo/

I like how theres going to be new monsters and torches die out
Old 10-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

I heard someone talking about it today. I also saw some video on youtube, but my connection was acting up so I couldn't watch it all. Some guy had the biggest built world ever so far or something.

What are the basics? I only played around for a couple minutes, but all I figured out how to do was put blocks down on the ground or on top of each other and dig.

Last edited by SuperBowlNachos; 10-04-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliethebum85
I heard someone talking about it today. I also saw some video on youtube, but my connection was acting up so I couldn't watch it all. Some guy had the biggest built world ever so far or something.

What are the basics? I only played around for a couple minutes, but all I figured out how to do was put blocks down on the ground or on top of each other and dig.

In Survival Mode (Single player) you start off in the middle of a map with no supplies and you're off to explore but when the sun goes down, zombies, skeletons, spiders come out and will kill you. Spend the day exploring islands, mountains, and find caves to mine materials (gravel, sand, cobblestone, gold, iron, diamonds, etc) and build things with that. Picks are for mining, shovels for dirt, ax for wood.

Heres a link of what you can build http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

First day/night in Survival, tutorial to give you a quick look at the crafting items

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »