Home

My Madden 12 Rating System overhaul (Quarterback)

This is a discussion on My Madden 12 Rating System overhaul (Quarterback) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
My Madden 12 Rating System overhaul (Quarterback)

http://www.operationsports.com/ndiri...s-quarterback/

Suggestions? Comments?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: My Madden 12 Rating System overhaul (Quarterback)

Way too many ratings for one position.

The only new QB skill ratings I'd like to see are Pocket Presence and Decision Making.

IMO Madden needs to go to a dynamic rating system for certain areas of the game.

Experience (changes every week based on total career downs played at a specific position)
Clutch (changes every week based on plays in critical situations)
Confidence (changes every week based on overall performance)

I'm sure there are other areas of the game which can be accounted for in a similar manner, but the bottom line is that these kinds of ratings should be tied to game performance.

You have a good list of QB qualities but I'm not sure how deep the ratings system needs to get. Some of those ratings can be inferred based on the combination of other ratings.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8

I like the idea of presenting only the information that is pertinent to a player's position, but I think you overlooked a few things about the game of football that relates directly to Madden.

Occasionally, a position player will need to utilize other skills. A quarterback may have to make a tackle, a kicker might have to throw a block. While the current rating system may seem to include some silly ratings, they are only silly in an era where substitutions are limited by position.

I think a toggle that displays the top 10-15 ratings for a position or the expanded ratings might work. But when the day returns (if ever) when players will once again have full control of their rosters, those silly ratings might come into play again.

Good article though.

Later
Old 10-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

As youALREADYknow says, that is way too many ratings. You have to remember that ratings are universal, meaning that you have to assign them to everybody.

In Madden there are 1800+ players. Now, how do you suggest that anyone could ever get, say, Lob Pass Accuracy and Pocket Presence right for 1800+ players??

I agree that the ratings system needs an overhaul, but it should not introduce any new ratings. Rather I'd prefer if they reduced the number of ratings, made things more transparent and fixed the overall rating.

Personally, I'd like to see them introduce route-based passing, personal traits and abilities and reduce the number of QB specific ratings back to Throw Accuracy and Throw Power.

Throw Power needs no explanation and Throw Accuracy should be a modifier that determines how the QB is affected by pressure. If your pocket is intact, aka no pressure on the QB, then the throw should be pretty accurate (not perfect), however, that doesn't mean that we get a bunch of completions as passing is now a matter of timing the throws. Imagine that you throw an accurate pass (from the QB's perspective), but it is just out of reach for your receiver, because he has a low route running rating and got bumped by a cornerback, which disrupted his route.

If the defense is getting pressure, the Throw Accuracy should be the modifier that determines how well you deliver the ball (under-throw vs. over-throw).

Furthermore, if you incorporate personal traits and abilities, you only have to assign things to the players that deserve it. That means instead of creating 1800+ throw on the run ratings just to separate the elite from the rest, you only have to assign a throw on the run ability to, say, 10-15 quarterback in the league that allows those players to have a higher accuracy throwing on the run. The same if you want a QB to scramble more, then you assign him with a scramble trait, so the AI knows that this QB has a tendency to scramble.

You should look into a system with less universal ratings and more position-specific traits and abilities.

Last edited by guaps; 10-02-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Rookie

I understand the hesitation to add more attributes because it means more confusion, etc. But instead of rating EVERY player at EVERY attribute, only rate the players in attributes that affect the overall of the player at that position. Then just assign a universal rating for one position at an attribute. Meaning the Madden team only has to rate the QBs in the NFL at lob accuracy, then assign a universal rating to ALL positions at lob accuracy respectively
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Rookie

asterisk's Arena

Quote:
The menus in Madden 11 are slow, and difficult to fly through and get the information you need. So I propose a new system to present the ratings in Madden 12. Only show the ratings that pertain to a player's position, meaning, if I was in the depth chart at the QB position, I would only see the attributes that DIRECTLY affect the overall rating of that player at that position
I agree. Like TNT713 said, there should be a toggle option between showing all ratings and showing position-specific ratings. I shouldn't have to scroll through so many inconsequential ratings when comparing two free safeties.

Quote:
Every other attribute should be rated at the minimum for that position, meaning the minimum rating of a RB at OL, however low, is higher than the rating of a QB at OL.
I don't understand what this means.

Quote:
Another revolution the ratings need, is the addition of tendencies.
There must be some tendencies rating in place already, because mobile QBs definitely tuck-and-run more often, and Peyton Manning audibles 50 times before each snap. It would be nice to make these tendencies more visible.

I wonder if there's a tendency rating for taking risks. I want to see a clear distinction between The Gunslinger and Captain Checkdown.

Quote:
So here is what we'd see when we open up the depth chart in Madden 12 at the quarterback position:
No need to turn Throw Power into Throw Range and Bullet Pass Speed. A strong arm is a strong arm.

No need for Lob Pass Accuracy or Bullet Pass Accuracy, the only accuracy rating should be short/medium/deep and on the run.

I like Pump Fake as a rating, but not Cadence. There's nothing about the way a QB says it that draws people offsides, it's just good QBs know when to use a hard count, so it should be covered in Awareness.

I have no idea what Awareness means specifically right now in Madden, but it should be decision making + identify blitz + read coverage. So the higher the awareness, the more likely the QB is to correctly figure out what is going on, and then throw it to the right person.

Leadership sounds good.

Pocket Presence is good.

Poise needs to be added. Let it encompass Clutch. It would be similar to Throw on Run, because it's only effect is negative, and it impacts all accuracy ratings. A Poise rating of 0 means whenever a linebacker looks at the QB, he throws the ball into the stands. A Poise rating of 99 means there's no difference in QB accuracy even when there's 37 seconds left in the 4th quarter, his team's down 5 points and Justin Tuck is two steps away from tearing his head off.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Rookie

What I meant was assign each position a universal rating for the attributes that don't affect their position. Meaning every running back would be assigned an overall rating of 25 at a position on the offensive line, while every quarterback will be assigned an overall rating of 10 at a position on the offensive line. Because there is NO logic behind the ratings they have now. There is NO way they can determine that one offensive lineman is better in zone coverage than another offensive lineman, so instead of making up ratings, they can just assign these ratings and save time for other things
Old 10-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Awareness should just mean more to QB, i mean QB's like Manning Brees and Brady know what's going on all the time they move out of the pocket avoid sacks,etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »