Home

Controls: Camera-relative or absolute?

This is a discussion on Controls: Camera-relative or absolute? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-17-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26
Controls: Camera-relative or absolute?

Which one do you use?

I kinda know what they mean but I end up making mistakes no matter what cause I can't really figure out which way to push the sticks when using isomotion.

I play with whatever is default, camera-relative I think, and I use the broadcast cam. Using camera-relative, that means that if my player is standing at the top of the key with the ball in his right hand I should press down on the left stick to do a crossover, or do I flick left on the left stick?

I really want to get this down for 2K11 so I can utilize all the moves available.

Could someone, who plays with broadcast cam suggest to me which of the two control schemes are the best (camera-relative or absolute)?

What's the difference between the two? I understand camera-relative, but how exactly does absolute work?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Controls: Camera-relative or absolute?

Camera relative vs. absolute only changes the controls on defense.

If it were available on offense I probably wouldn't use it, but I like absolute for defense.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:21 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
Which one do you use?

I kinda know what they mean but I end up making mistakes no matter what cause I can't really figure out which way to push the sticks when using isomotion.

I play with whatever is default, camera-relative I think, and I use the broadcast cam. Using camera-relative, that means that if my player is standing at the top of the key with the ball in his right hand I should press down on the left stick to do a crossover, or do I flick left on the left stick?

I really want to get this down for 2K11 so I can utilize all the moves available.

Could someone, who plays with broadcast cam suggest to me which of the two control schemes are the best (camera-relative or absolute)?

What's the difference between the two? I understand camera-relative, but how exactly does absolute work?
there is no setting for this on 2k10 other than the defensive controls that nobody uses, for 2k11 they've made it so you can choose either camera relative or absolute.

Camera relative obviously means angle to the cam and the basket play a part in controlling your players

absolute means no matter what your player is doing or whatever angle the player is to the basket the controls will be the same.

i dont think the dribbling moves will be switchable(they are mapped on the same stick as movement) but i do think the shot stick will so you can pull of different layups and such without worrying which direction the sticks need to be.

in your case with kobe at the top of the key do:
left stick right to "dance"(moves father away from the basket a bit)
left stick left to do a straight hes(moves closer a bit)
left stick up to do a right hes
left stick down to do a left hes
hope this helps
I'm not owed anything by anyone.

Last edited by lv2bll; 09-17-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faizon
Camera relative vs. absolute only changes the controls on defense.

If it were available on offense I probably wouldn't use it, but I like absolute for defense.
they added absolute this year for offense
Old 09-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2bll

in your case with kobe at the top of the key do:
left stick right to "dance"(moves father away from the basket a bit)
left stick left to do a straight hes(moves closer a bit)
left stick up to do a right hes
left stick down to do a left hes
hope this helps
It does help, thanks!

If they were to have absolute for 2K11, as Goffs says, would that mean that, no matter where on the court you are, a cross-over would always be
left stick left to right if the player has the ball in the left hand?

My main problem is know which way to turn the stick in any given situation considering the controls changes in relation to where the player is on the court and the position the camera is.

I'm gonna spend more time in practice and tutorial mode in 2K11 than I did in 2K10, that's for sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0

Was about to make a new thread, but I found this.

Can someone thoroughly explain to me what exactly the difference is between Camera Relative and Absolute?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Rookie

Ken North's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zastrin
Was about to make a new thread, but I found this.

Can someone thoroughly explain to me what exactly the difference is between Camera Relative and Absolute?
Pretty much exactly what it says. On Absolute, Left is Left. On Camera relative you'd have to push the stick to the Left of the basket, so different direction depending on your camera angle.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3

absolute does not affect the left stick. Left stick for movement is always the same, camera relative. So in broadcast cam, coming left to right up the court, right would advance you up court. if you were heading up court this way, up and down would switch ball hands, or crossover.

Absolute affects the right stick only, on both offense and defense.

Offense - no matter what angle you are attacking:
up - layup
left - left handed layup
right - right handed layup

with trigger modified driving:
up-euro layup
left - left hop layup
right - right hop layup
down - runner

with trigger modified outside:
left or right - gather to the left or right, which you can shoot out of, or chain into another dribble
down - stepback jumper - this causes you to pick up or dribble
up - pull up

with dunk modifier (r2)
up - normal sig dunk
left - flashy dunk
right - rim hang dunk
down- reverse dunk
(this is dependent on dunk ratings and packages, obviously. some dunkers have less variety and may not have flashy or reverse dunks, in that case, a generic dunk or layup will trigger.)

I play on broadcast and I use absolute, since last year. Helps me with greater control, and I feel like I can do what i want, when I want. Its not as tight as it was last year, but still better than camera relative, especially on a camera where youre moving right to left (broadcast, beluba, press), instead of up or down (2k, iso, etc..)

on DEFENSE
no matter where you are on the court - pushing the right analog UP or DOWN will result in you putting your hands straight up

hope this helps guys

Last edited by ruxpinke; 10-12-2011 at 10:41 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »