Home

Out of Bounds: NHL 95/96 and the Trappings of Old

This is a discussion on Out of Bounds: NHL 95/96 and the Trappings of Old within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Out of Bounds: NHL 95/96 and the Trappings of Old

You would be hard pressed to find someone who knows anything about hockey who would also be willing to argue that we're not in a golden age of EA NHL games. By nearly universal accounts, we are enjoying a series that is technically innovative and superior to the efforts of old. NHL 11, which released last Tuesday, brings to the table a finely tuned physics engine and enough new features to keep the avid puck fan salivating.

To understand and fully appreciate how we got here though, one has to look back on the legacy of the NHL franchise.

My experience with video game hockey goes all the way back to the original Nintendo-era game Hockey. Any gamer worth his/her salt -- and over the age of 25 -- is no doubt fully aware of this game. It was clunky, a little strange, but all in all, surprisingly compelling. But, in the end, its version of virtual hockey was lacking as a whole.

Read More - Out of Bounds: NHL 95/96 and the Trappings of Old
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Queue the same people complaining about minutia like jersey patches and sock length coming in and talking about how the mid-90's NHL games were the best. Always a fun contradiction
Old 09-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 18
I was hooked on this game too. 94-96 was the "Golden Age" of EA NHL. Things like instant replays and game highlights took trash talking friend to a new level. The game played great (for sprites) and had all the bells and whistles you'd want in a hockey game of the era.

I also LOVED the "Out of Town" updates. Highlights and "live" scores from other games in my league was a nice bit of immersion that for whatever reason is still lacking in today's NHL games.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Out of Bounds: NHL 95/96 and the Trappings of Old

"It's not so much me, it's Roenick. He's good."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChtBbasZrjM
Old 09-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 16
I still remember first playing those games. Locked away in a cousins basement as he pounded me with the Los Angeles Kings in NHL 95. The first game I ever owned was NHL 96. With my hometown hero, Steve Yzerman on the cover. The 8-bit music of NHL 95 still rings in my head like a sweet lullaby. What I loved the most though, about NHL 95, was the personal feeling and attachment you got from viewing the player photos and the pregame analysis. A young Steve Yzerman never looked so good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
NHL 94 is one of my favorites. But it was sooo easy to score. You go down to one side, come straight across the ice in a line and shoot and it was a guaranteed goal.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Out of Bounds: NHL 95/96 and the Trappings of Old

I hated NHL 95-98 on Genesis/SNES. They had a great look from NHL 92-94, and they didn't really need to change it, but they did and it was for the worse. 95 looked way too cartoony, and while 96-98 looked better, it still looked kinda dull and colour combinations of team's jerseys seemed to be less accurate than from 92-94. Also, there were so many bugs introduced when they scrapped the 94 Genesis engine in favour of the new one in 95. I remember scoring offside one-timers for example.

NHL 95 on the PC on the other hand was amazing. NHL 95 on PC basically stood up to any of the newer games that EA was coming out with for me until NHL99 when the next wave of expansion teams came into the NHL.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
MVP

GaryT531's Arena

OVR: 19
Remember the scene from the movie "Swingers" where they're playing NHL on Genesis and Vince Vaughn says "I'm gonna make Gretzky's head bleed for super fan # 99 here!" lol classic

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »