Home

Please help a Madden vet stop the pass

This is a discussion on Please help a Madden vet stop the pass within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
Pro

WildFan22's Arena

OVR: 8
Please help a Madden vet stop the pass

Dear OS. Over the years I have prided myself on playing great defense. In Madden 2011 I feel like the only time I can stop the other team is if I get an INT or a fumble. In the past twelve games I have played online my opponents and I only had to punt a combined 3 times. (THREE TIMES!!!) My last ranked game ended 59 to 56. Yuck!

My biggest problem is stopping the shotgun formation. I've tried everything that I can think of and I have had zero success. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Example: How do you stop the Patriots in shotgun formation? What formations, audibles, and plays should I use.

I'm tired of playing arena football.

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Please help a Madden vet stop the pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFan22
Dear OS. Over the years I have prided myself on playing great defense. In Madden 2011 I feel like the only time I can stop the other team is if I get an INT or a fumble. In the past twelve games I have played online my opponents and I only had to punt a combined 3 times. (THREE TIMES!!!) My last ranked game ended 59 to 56. Yuck!

My biggest problem is stopping the shotgun formation. I've tried everything that I can think of and I have had zero success. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Example: How do you stop the Patriots in shotgun formation? What formations, audibles, and plays should I use.

I'm tired of playing arena football.

Thanks.
CONSISTENT PRESSURE!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
Pro

WildFan22's Arena

Constant pressure is great in theory but I have blitzed DB's, LB's, spread the line, jam WR's, zone, man to man ect. I have not seen anyone stop shotgun consistently.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I think it's all about figuring out your opponent's tendencies. Usually online players will run the same plays on 3rd down. Once your see it a couple of times call zone blitzes or man zones (cover 1). If you call a zone, adjust the zone to where you think the ball is going to be thrown ( middle, sidelines, left, right). If the person's main option is covered then it may buy enough time for your blitzers to get to the QB. Same thing goes for your man zone to adjust as well.

Depending on the down and distance, I've found backing off of coverage in man works too. For 3rd and long (9 and higher for me) I like to blitz but back off my DB keeping them just behind the first down line. For me it either leads to a quick throw by the QB or a catch and tackle by the defense. Sometimes I get burned but I've found you have to go high risk high reward. I've tried to sit back in coverage and I get eaten up.

Putting the right amount of pressure on seems to be the key to me but then again I've only played about 13 games online. It's hard to get a game when you play as the Saints.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by s38s38s
CONSISTENT PRESSURE!!!
Sometimes I think pressure sometimes makes things worse in the game. If a defender gets a free run at the QB, the qb will make a robo pass before the sack. Still trying to balance this out with sliders. But it will most likely require ratings edits.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 22

The 1-5-5 is your friend. Cherrish every second with that formation as if it's your last.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 1

If you're playing a good team like the Pats, Colts, Saints, or Packers, it's pretty much impossible to stop anyone. The defense was left in the dust by the developers this year.

My advice would be to wait it out until the next patch comes out at the end of the month. From what I hear, there's a fix for the defense in that patch. I've got my fingers crossed that the patch fixes a lot of these issues because for me the game is unplayable right now.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

I will Blitz sometimes But I usually Hot Route one or two of My blitzers (usually the MLB) to Hook Zone and that helps to take away the middle. I also mix up pressing my cb's. Also, I watch my opponents and see what they like to go to on big downs and I may take that blitzing LB and double a WR with him...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »