Home

Real Time Physics just a general buzz-term for physicality?

This is a discussion on Real Time Physics just a general buzz-term for physicality? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 19
Real Time Physics just a general buzz-term for physicality?

In response to various questions about players warping through one another in videos contrasting with the blogs and the principles of physics; which this game is supposed to be built on, Geoff Harrower replied:

" "Real Physics" is just a name given to all the work we've done to make the game more physical."

Ok let me get this straight.

-The "physics" engine isnt creating animations and more-so choosing animations

-The "physics" was only applied to 3 parts of the character's skeleton, the chest, shoulders and hips and not the limbs

So then tell me how is it possible to not have any canned animations when there are animations where two players interact, every animation is predetermined and non are being created?

And considering Mike Wang has gone on record to say "NBA 2k has used physics to determine animation selection for years now", How is this much different than what has been done before in this series and others "?

If this game does not do much different than what was been done before and there is no taxing, demanding technology under the hood whats holding the graphics and animations/ animation variety back?

Last edited by Jesus; 09-06-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Real Time Physics just a general buzz-term for physicality?

The physics in Elite 11, as I've understood it, is that the animation chosen is based on weight-speed-trajectory of the players interacting. It does, as stated, not utilise ragdoll physics or real-time phsyics ala Grand Theft Auto.

So, it's still animations, it's just that the animations played out are selected by a physics system which chooses the correct animation for the interaction.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus
In response to various questions about players warping through one another in videos contrasting with the blogs and the principles of physics; which this game is supposed to be built on, Geoff Harrower replied:

" "Real Physics" is just a name given to all the work we've done to make the game more physical."
Do you have a link for this quote? Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to read it in context.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdski
Do you have a link for this quote? Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to read it in context.
Was that from the stick thread about physics?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdski
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...hysics-26.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
The physics in Elite 11, as I've understood it, is that the animation chosen is based on weight-speed-trajectory of the players interacting. It does, as stated, not utilise ragdoll physics or real-time phsyics ala Grand Theft Auto.

So, it's still animations, it's just that the animations played out are selected by a physics system which chooses the correct animation for the interaction.
The animations are selected based on the physics system, but they are also driven by the physics system as well. For example, blend weights between multiple animations and IK targets are driven by parameters coming from the physics and collision systems. As I've said before, the limbs of the players are not affected by physics except during steals, blocks and rebounds. And when I say physics, I mean the physical properties of the player, the results of the new player/player collision system (which is all physics based) and the ball physics system. All that stuff combined is referred to as the "Real Physics" engine.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl

How is this any different than other games that determine that you are going to do a lay-up because you have not generated enough momentum to dunk, when two players collide the weaker/smaller one will bounce backwards or that smaller players get less dominating collision animations?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

So would I be correct on this rEAnimator, lets say a player has just beat his man from the middle of the floor and is heading towards the basket for a dunk. If the defender tries to go for the steal you guys want the defenders input to determine exactly how the offense responds. So lets say the defender is standing right next to the offensive player as he's about to jump in the air for the dunk.

If that defender reaches his hand out to knock the ball loose that's exactly what will happen, correct? He will just knock the ball loose, he won't grab it and then run the other way with it he'll just knock it loose. Now lets say that same defender is anticipating the dunk and instead of trying to knock it loose he lunges for the ball instead. If he times it correctly he will actually grab the ball instead of just knocking it out of his hands right?

Is that what will make the system "real time" because its responding based on exactly what that defender is doing?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »