Home

Online Bandwagon

This is a discussion on Online Bandwagon within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Online Bandwagon

Does anyone notice that when any team gets high in the rankings, more and more people use it? For example, when the Texas Rangers got pushed up into the 2nd ranking, one in every three players I came across then chose to use the Rangers. This happened with the Phillies as well. I remember several times when people rushed to choose the Red Sox while they were ranked 2nd, so I had to resort to another team. And all-around, many people used the Yankees. The worse part is, when these teams dropped in rankings, like when the Red Sox was plagued by mass injury and went down to contend for the 8th and 9th ranking, almost no one used them again. In fact, I have yet to come across another BoSox or Rangers player since then.

And now that the Phillies are 1st in statiscal ranking, all of the last few players I happened to come across chose to use the Phillies. I mean, come on, why can't people just stick to their teams? It kind of gets annoying when you're constantly playing against the same people over and over again. The lowest ranked team I played against so far was the Jays.

On an interesting side note, when Rodriguez was injured and placed on the DL, the Yankees dropped down to 2nd in statistical ranking. Haha.

Last edited by Konsonum; 08-30-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Online Bandwagon

i hate when people do that im a proud phillies fan and i hate when people use them just to win.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 14

You seem surprised by this. I would wager that over half of all real life fans are band wagon fans. I can't tell you how many Red Sox hats sprang out of nowhere in 2004 the day after they finally broke the curse. I have been going to A's games for years, and I can tell you that there are a lot more Red Sox and Yankee fans these days going to the games than in the mid 90's. People are like that though. It is what it is. Congrats on being a die hard Phillies fan. You guys suffered a lot before winning.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 9

i agree,what ever teams are in top 5.You always play against
Old 08-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsleadtheway
You seem surprised by this. I would wager that over half of all real life fans are band wagon fans. I can't tell you how many Red Sox hats sprang out of nowhere in 2004 the day after they finally broke the curse. I have been going to A's games for years, and I can tell you that there are a lot more Red Sox and Yankee fans these days going to the games than in the mid 90's. People are like that though. It is what it is. Congrats on being a die hard Phillies fan. You guys suffered a lot before winning.
That's not what I mean when people bandwagon. When a team does very bad for a very long time, it's understandable that the people in that region start to switch over to other sports, since there's not much to cheer about. But it's annoying when a fan of the Mets suddenly started playing with the Phillies because he thinks he would win if he played with the #1 team.

And you need to improve your knowledge surrounding Red Sox - Fenway Park history. As a Red Sox fan, I can tell you that large crowds attended home Red Sox games years before 2004. To outsiders, it may seem that the Red Sox have not been doing since they have not earned a World Series title in 86 years; in contrast, there are many years between 1918 and 2004 where the Red Sox did outstandingly well, but did not get the World Series title.

In fact, every game in Fenway Park has been sold out since sometime in 2003.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konsonum
it's annoying when a fan of the Mets suddenly started playing with the Phillies because he thinks he would win if he played with the #1 team.
mets fans better not be playing with the phillies! as a philly fan, i won't even draft anyone from the mets when doing a fantasy draft. actually most of the NL east for that matter, especially from the teams with heated rivalries with the phils over the past few years. pride boys, pride.

the funny part is, sometimes i feel like a douche for always picking the phils. i almost wish they weren't so highly rated.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konsonum
And you need to improve your knowledge surrounding Red Sox - Fenway Park history. As a Red Sox fan, I can tell you that large crowds attended home Red Sox games years before 2004. To outsiders, it may seem that the Red Sox have not been doing since they have not earned a World Series title in 86 years; in contrast, there are many years between 1918 and 2004 where the Red Sox did outstandingly well, but did not get the World Series title.

In fact, every game in Fenway Park has been sold out since sometime in 2003.
I am not talking about fans in Fenway. I have spent time in Boston and went to quite a few games there. I love that park and the real fans there are awesome. I was referring to all the fans that sprung up everywhere after they won (I was living in Portland, OR for Pete's sake. I met 2 Red Sox fans in 8 years while living there prior 2004).

As for the game, some people just don't like to lose and hence try to maximize their chances by selecting the best team available. That is one of the many reasons I don't play online.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsleadtheway
I am not talking about fans in Fenway. I have spent time in Boston and went to quite a few games there. I love that park and the real fans there are awesome. I was referring to all the fans that sprung up everywhere after they won (I was living in Portland, OR for Pete's sake. I met 2 Red Sox fans in 8 years while living there prior 2004).

As for the game, some people just don't like to lose and hence try to maximize their chances by selecting the best team available. That is one of the many reasons I don't play online.
I didn't know that there were fans near Seattle who weren't fans of the Mariners but of a team on the other side of the coast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »