Home

Milestones

This is a discussion on Milestones within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Milestones

How many times have you seen a player retire literally JUST short of a milestone? For example; Jim Thome retired following my 2010 season, with 599 HRs, and it makes me want to facepalm, because although he is 40, I'm sure he'd want to come back for 1 more longball. I wish they incorporate into the game next year mid-season retirements and/or ability to take players out of retirement.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Milestones

Mid-season retirements are SO rare. If they were implemented, it could potentially take a lot of work to ensure that mid-season retirements don't happen frequently. Otherwise, people would be going crazy saying "Player A and Player B were each having solid years for X team, but they retired?!??!?!?!?" I think the risk is much greater than the reward (if any).
Old 08-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

if you save right before selecting to view retirements, you can re-load that save and see if a particular player retires again. Not all retirements are set in stone, meaning that you could advance to retirements and Thome won't be there.

He played in year 2 of my franchise. In fact, he may still be playing(year 3).

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
if you save right before selecting to view retirements, you can re-load that save and see if a particular player retires again. Not all retirements are set in stone, meaning that you could advance to retirements and Thome won't be there.

He played in year 2 of my franchise. In fact, he may still be playing(year 3).
From what I've read, I think the retirements are determined right after the First-Year player draft in June.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeureally27
Mid-season retirements are SO rare. If they were implemented, it could potentially take a lot of work to ensure that mid-season retirements don't happen frequently. Otherwise, people would be going crazy saying "Player A and Player B were each having solid years for X team, but they retired?!??!?!?!?" I think the risk is much greater than the reward (if any).
Yeah didn't think of that before I typed that part. I guess more of like, a progressive retirement. Instead of listing them all at the end of the season, have them progressively decide to retire or play in the offseason. Maybe you could lure that veteran player that you think can have 1 more good year into signing a 1-year deal instead of hanging it up?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 14

Personally I would like to see players only retire after they don't get picked up from free agency either in the off season, or by a particular date in the season. Most players that aren't ready to retire, hang out in free agency awaiting some team's interest. When it doesn't happen, they hold a press conference to announce their retirement. I have no idea how hard it would be to incorporate such a thing in the game, but it would definitely alleviate the "I can't believe player A retired when he is only 36!" If not that, then perhaps some sort of override function.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »