Home

Vision Cone Discussion

This is a discussion on Vision Cone Discussion within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9
Vision Cone Discussion

Im sorry if there is already a thread specifically for this for Madden 11. I could not find one. There was a large thread about it last year which was a petition to bring it back which obviously didnt work. If it didnt work last year I doubt it will again unfortunately. This is more a discussion about it. I have yet to hear a better way of differentiating user controlled quarterbacks than the vision cone. (I will say again) The short medium and deep accuracy are great ratings features but when you the user control a quarterback it is not enough to differentiate who is under center unless you make the accuracy unrealistic. If anyone has a better idea as to how to do this without the vision cone then please post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Vision Cone Discussion

Offline, sliders help.

Lowering the QBAccur slider helps curb the overused phrase of the past, "Robo QB."

Online, I'm not sure.

I didn't know if you were referring to offline or online.

It's very easy to tell the difference between Jay Cutler vs Aaron Rodgers offline.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
Im sorry if there is already a thread specifically for this for Madden 11. I could not find one. There was a large thread about it last year which was a petition to bring it back which obviously didnt work. If it didnt work last year I doubt it will again unfortunately. This is more a discussion about it. I have yet to hear a better way of differentiating user controlled quarterbacks than the vision cone. (I will say again) The short medium and deep accuracy are great ratings features but when you the user control a quarterback it is not enough to differentiate who is under center unless you make the accuracy unrealistic. If anyone has a better idea as to how to do this without the vision cone then please post.
I would love to see the cone or better yet cursor that you controlled with the right stick..the passing as is is too scripted and very unchallenging. The whole passing mechanic needs to be overhauled.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Offline, sliders help.

Lowering the QBAccur slider helps curb the overused phrase of the past, "Robo QB."

Online, I'm not sure.

It's very easy to tell the difference between Jay Cutler vs Aaron Rodgers offline.
actualy Im referring to the game in general. Its not very easy to distinguish almost any quarterback. There may be small differences in accuracy in accuracy especially when you talk about mid to long range passes which is the way it should be in real life. Ive messed with the sliders and as Ive said before it just doesnt do it because I can make the same decisions with aaron rodgers or Manning, brees, favre, rivers etc as I can with freeman sanchez stafford, alex smith etc and just as quick. The accuracy is actually a very minor difference that should be a supplementation to the decision making or reads. A mechanic that slows my decision making or forces me to take longer to throw the ball with freeman instead of manning is whats needed. Im talking about user controlled qb's here not the computer robo qb;s which can indeed be adjusted with sliders. what Im referring to is I can make the same decisions with every qb just as quickly so whats the point of me going after one in franchise. The vision cone is needed so the user can have some incentive to go after that star qb or future star to have that ability to quickly make a read and throw the ball instead of every qb having that ability, this is on top of accuracy, the average qb I can still easily win games with as compared to an elite one, Accuracy starts to truly matter only when Im dealing with 3rd stringers or qb's rated in the mid 60's and lower, there needs to be something more to challenge the user and give him incentive in franchise mode to search for that elite qb, right now, there just simply isnt enough.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Oh, god not the flash light cone again...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Well... since you asked for a better idea than the vision cone lol...

I want to see cursor based passing.

Have the right stick control a cursor on the field. where ever the cursor is, obviously the ball will go. You would then have 2 buttons for passing. A bullet button and lob button. Since you are using the right stick for aiming, obviously you will have to use the triggers for the pass buttons.

At this point I'm sure everyone is saying no lol, but it's not as bad as you think. If you play First Person Shooters, which I think a great majority of gamers do, this would be second nature to you to navigate the QB while aiming at the same time. So this would not be that complicated. The reason why I would like to see this type of passing though, isn't because I love FPS's (which I do), but because it would solve many issues with the passing game in Madden, in particular, and Football games, in general.

First. The obvious. This would effectively simulate the QB scanning the field and actually looking at receivers without the use of a vision cone (which I actually happened to like, but I know many people hated it).

Second. A big complaint with people is that the completion % are way too high. One reason I think is because passing by just hitting a button is too easy. With cursor based passing you would not only have to read the defense, but you would have to judge the speed and location of the WR and place the ball a suitable distance in front, behind, to the left/right, what ever, of him to ensure that the ball arrives at the same time that he does, just like in real life. Would this be difficult? Of course it would. At first. But with practice, you will be placing the ball where it needs to be. Which brings me to my third point.

Third. The best part of this is that you would be in control to a much greater extent of what happens on the field than currently, or ever before. You could still have an accuracy rating for QB's. The better passers would put the ball pretty much exactly where the cursor is, while less accurate QB's would be off of center of the cursor to a greater extent. You could even factor in composure and have the accuracy go down depending on whether they are pressured or running, but here is the thing, you don't necessarily have to. With cursor based passing, if you are rushed, then YOU will most likely not put the pass where it is supposed to go, because you don't have time, to place it in the perfect spot, just like real life. But, if YOU are good under pressure, then YOU could still put the ball where it should be even when you are rushed, just like real life. You wouldn't need an algorithm to tell you that your % should go down because you are out of the pocket. You wouldn't need the AI to say that the pass is going here or there because for the most part, where ever you throw it, that's where it's going. If you have a man wide open for a fly pattern streaking up the sideline and you over or under throw him, that was YOUR doing, not the game telling you I don't want you to complete a pass now because the rubber band AI says no.

People may not like anything that is more complicated, but I am a gamer. I want to play the game and be responsible for the outcome of the game. You might think that you are now, but you really aren't. If you're a lot better than someone, then you can beat them on a regular basis, but make no mistake about it, the game is in control of a lot what the outcome is. If it says that you will miss an open receiver. Not a damn thing you can do about it. If it says you will fumble. Give that pigskin up. I just want to feel like I am as much in control of what happens in the game as I can. I want the ball to go where I say it should go, and regardless of whether it is a positive or negative outcome, I will be just fine with that.

This was extremely long, and I apologize lol.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #7
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Offline, sliders help.

Online, I'm not sure.

Wow roadie lol! Tell me you did not just imply that you can simulate the Vision Cone with sliders?

Is there ANYTHING sliders can not do lol?

Just messing.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Cursor based passing......... ?

The way it was YEARSSSSSSSSS ago on Joe Montana Sports Talk football on the Sega Genesis ?

No thank you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »