Home

Making Trades in Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on Making Trades in Franchise Mode within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Making Trades in Franchise Mode

I'm not too worried about keeping exact rosters so I like to trade for a big name, but this year it seems almost impossible (I've even gone as far as sending two 1st round picks.) Anyone else having trouble making trades.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Making Trades in Franchise Mode

How big are we talking? Like two first rounders for Derrelle Revis big?

...if anything I've had the opposite experience with the CPU. I sent Takeo Spikes plus a first rounder to the Raiders for Rolando McClain and a second rounder.

There is a lot of value in a guy like McClain plus first round picks in Madden are kind of useless. So I got the better end of that deal in my opinion.

I wouldn't expect to get Revis or Willis or any other marquis player for a couple of first round picks. The computer does have enough sense to know that's a bad deal.

NHL: Blackhawks
MLB: White Sox
NFL: Bears
NCAAFB: Notre Dame & Colorado
Old 08-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

Try and trade for an older backup, or starter if the team has a young player in the wings ready to take over.

Look for teams with more depth than needed, or positions on your team that are strong that they are weak in.

Player for player trades are rare in the NFL, and most trades occur in the offseason.

Think about why a team would want to trade away a known talent for a chance at success, why would they hurt themselves one year for a potential next year.

One of the main problems is we cannot trade future draft picks, those are often used as bargaining chips in deals because many teams will eagerly trade them to get that one player they think will put them over the top.

Franchise QB's, LT's and to a lesser extent 4-3 DE's, 3-4 NT's and lockdown corners should be hard to trade for.

RB's are a dime a dozen, but good ones will cost you. IRL if the Jags were offered a deal on draft day with a first, second and a potential second in the next year for MJD I would be surprised to see them turn it down.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Thanks. I was at first trying to get Willis but realized it was not going to happen. I was surprised to see the same offer turned down when offered for Vernon Davis. Another problem could be that I go for youth and they are valued higher even with lower attributes.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Rookie

actually with firsts I've had some huge wins. I drafted a de who was 284 and he had 20 sacks as a rookie. But I don't often try to make moves for better players when i do franchises I usually trade established older players down

or with the rams franchise I'm doing, I traded lauranaitis( I hate him so much) for mcclain(huge mancrush)

though i've tried to keep the trades minimal, I think I've only made 2 trades one of chris long and little animal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhNike034
Another problem could be that I go for youth and they are valued higher even with lower attributes.
The CPU seems to put a little value in youth but not much... the trade I mentioned above McClain is 79 overall with A potential and Takeo Spike is in the low 80s and on the decline. Thats only about a 4 or 5 point spread between the two guys in overall rating but Spikes has been in the league for 11 or 12 seasons.

There are plenty of teams that are more than willing to dump young talent for and older albeit slightly better player and a draft pick. Off the top of my head you could probably grab Dez Bryant off the Cowboys relatively easily but I haven't tried it...

Old 08-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Amba Lamps
actually with firsts I've had some huge wins. I drafted a de who was 284 and he had 20 sacks as a rookie. But I don't often try to make moves for better players when i do franchises I usually trade established older players down
It really just depends, I seem to have bad luck with my first rounders... they typically are in the mid 70s overall with B potential. I grabbed a DE in the 3rd in who is a 89 overall with an A potential. He signed a 7 year contract for next to nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Amba Lamps
though i've tried to keep the trades minimal, I think I've only made 2 trades one of chris long and little animal.
I try to keep my trades realistic and infrequent too. I dished Michael Huff for Tom Zbikowski plus a 3rd rounder... that's it so far with my Raiders franchise.

...I made a few more moves with my 49er's franchise but ended that one halfway through because I'm not that big of a Niners fan.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

You can pretty easily abuse trade logic, for example...

Start with the Ravens, convert LOLB Jarett Johnson into a DT, release a random player, then you can complete this trade...

Jarett Johnson to the Jags for Rashean Mathis, 1st, and Daryl Smith (or Mike Sims-Walker, or Justin Durant).

Robbery

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »