Home

Recruiting - The one that got away

This is a discussion on Recruiting - The one that got away within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12
Recruiting - The one that got away

With the recruiting this year being more diffcult I thought I cant be the only one to get his heartbroke after losing a recruit that you just knew you was gonna get.

QB was a major need for me as I will only have 2 on my roster next year. My starter next year will be a junior and he's one of the best in the conf. so he could go pro after next year. My backup is a freshman who isnt rated good and I'm not comfortable starting him. I didnt go after a QB last year bc I wanted to wait for a elite guy this year. So I could redshirt him and he would be able to start his redshirt sophmore year.

I go after a 6'3 QB for Ohio by the name of James Crum. He was a good all around QB but more of a scrambler with B speed, B+ agility, C+ Break Tackle, C+ Elu. He has also a solid arm with both rated B.

After being #1 on his list for about 5 weeks I get a soft commit from him. I spend another 60 min on him and expect to get the hard commit from him the follwing week. When I advanced Ohio St now has him to a soft commit and the following week they get him to hard commit. Now both 5* QB's in the class are now commited to OSU and I'm stuck left with a bunch of scrubs at QB

Man I was so tore up I even thought about restarting the week then I realized im 28 years old and I dont need to be doing that. What similar stoires have yall had?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Recruiting - The one that got away

Man, I feel you. My last "heart breaker" occurred with a SS named Mo Carter - he was an absolute mauler. A 5-star recruit with A speed/agility, A+ hitting power, and the ability to play high-end man, zone, and press coverage. I was fortunute the year prior, as I nabbed two 3-star CB that ended up being rated far greater than I anticipated (75/76). They ended up progressing nicely in the off-season, so much so that a solid SS addition had me thinking "Big East Champions!"

In rebuilding Syracuse (I took the job with the University at 1-star presitige), I was now at 3-star level ... not quite well enough to grab Mo's interest. (I typically "aim high" with one or two recruits per recruiting season.) Or so I thought.

Armed with a couple lucky 2X recruiting opportunities, I jumped into his top-3 late in the game. He also happened to be most focused on academics, location proximity, and coaching experience - all areas SU excelled in at the time - so I was able to battle with the bigger schools vying for his commitment.

After he visited in WK 8, he soft-committed to my school, and I was absolutely elated. SHOCKED, actually. But of course, three weeks later, he had a change of heart and hard-committed to Wyoming, my old school (which I made into a 6-star school after winning the National Championship). I went through the following season with a 67-rated SO safety and lost the BE championship to West Virginia.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

It's good to know I'm not the only one and that story did help as I'm still in mourning after last night.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
It's good to know I'm not the only one and that story did help as I'm still in mourning after last night.
Dude I'm with you. In years past it was easy to replace a guy with another guy just as good but not this year. In my dynasty I started before any tuner sets or the 2nd patch with Georgia I lost a DT/DE that could have been a beast. Since it is so hard to find true DE's/DT's for the 3-4 you have to get the 1-2 players that fit that each year.
The guy I missed on was a 5* 6'5" 310lb DT with C spd and B+ strength. The only DT over 300lbs rated higher then a 2*. He was from Georgia so I just knew he wanted to come to the school he grew up cheering for because no one is a Tech fan. I was rated #1 on his board. I made him target #1 and spent 60 minutes a week on him for 10 weeks. He had a good visit the week I played the Vols, they were #3 on his list. He gave me a soft in week 9 but the next week, after a visit to FSU (#2 school) he signs. I was 200 points ahead of FSU but he went with them. I was real pissed when I saw how bad most recruits were this year.
Like you I'm to old (30yrs) to just reset but then found out how bad the recruits were so I quit playing until both turner sets and the 2nd patch came out. I decide to not go any further since I had recruited a few DE's to move to OLB but they all sucked. I decided to start a new dynasty with Notre Dame this go around. It sucks to miss out on a stud but at the same time its cool to not have 20 guys all rated the same to replace a lost player with.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Mine is a little different. I got a RB commit from the state of Texas to USC with 97 speed and 98 acc. Fought against Texas and Texas A&M all season long to get the guy. His first year he had 400 yards as a back up, second year 800 yards cause the starter got hurt. Going into his junior year im thinking hes a starter, I have a reggie bush situation and we're gonna tear the Pac 10 apart. I hit players leaving and he's transferring...to UCLA of all teams. After many failed attempts to keep the beast, Ive given up. Im thinking about simming through his sit out season just so i can play him now and destroy his life. i was so heartbroken that he left. And to UCLA? why Reggie 2.0 why???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

A little off topic but have you all ever noticed that recruiting points don't seem to matter? I had a recruit where my school and the #2 were tied. For his most and very high area's I had a better grade than the other school so I would negative recruit and knock down the #2 school a good bit. I did this for about 3 weeks straight but every week the points would still be the same! Of course they ended up getting the recruit.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazell
A little off topic but have you all ever noticed that recruiting points don't seem to matter? I had a recruit where my school and the #2 were tied. For his most and very high area's I had a better grade than the other school so I would negative recruit and knock down the #2 school a good bit. I did this for about 3 weeks straight but every week the points would still be the same! Of course they ended up getting the recruit.
I feel you 100% You can negative recruit the hell out of a team 1 point ahead of you and they will remain 1 point ahead of you without a soft commit from the player or even a scholarship offer. Recruiting is very suspect in my eyes.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazell
I have not found the negative recruiting to work. I just "hard sell" or "sway" every topic and have had more success.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »