Home

Defending Speed

This is a discussion on Defending Speed within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
bhl
Rookie

OVR: 5
Defending Speed

So I have been getting burned by Johnson, Felix Jones, and Peterson online a lot. I was just wondering how to defend when people cheese with them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 16
Re: Defending Speed

N-A-N-O-B-L-I-T-Z BLITZ BLITZ BLITZ!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl
So I have been getting burned by Johnson, Felix Jones, and Peterson online a lot. I was just wondering how to defend when people cheese with them.
Can you define the word "cheese" as it relates to the use of these running backs that you mentioned? In general I would say spotlight those runners when you think they are getting the ball. On pass plays manually cover them yourself. i would also make sure that you maintain gap control and always have outside contain. Most users of speed backs use a lot of counters and two gaps run plays that they can bounce out side. You can mitigate a good majority of this by shooting the gaps and shifting your defensive lineman. Always control the wideside of the field with constant pressure.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Rookie

MMMonty's Arena

OVR: 6

The only way to defend speed is with speed!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

A 3-4 cover 3 press works well, also a dollar cover 1 press works good and a nickel engage...

If you blizz, you will get burnt! you will need to learn how to manually control your safety and DB's to stop the run
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
Can you define the word "cheese" as it relates to the use of these running backs that you mentioned? In general I would say spotlight those runners when you think they are getting the ball. On pass plays manually cover them yourself. i would also make sure that you maintain gap control and always have outside contain. Most users of speed backs use a lot of counters and two gaps run plays that they can bounce out side. You can mitigate a good majority of this by shooting the gaps and shifting your defensive lineman. Always control the wideside of the field with constant pressure.
So they didn't remove the spotlight? I've been trying to do spotlight on defense, but it always just ends up goofy, due to the new strat pad. Part of me had just assumed they took the spotlight out.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #7
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

The things Johnny Knox and Devin Hester have done to old *** Al Harris in my secondary are illegal in 47 states. With legislation pending in a 48th.

I hate them and their stupid ridiculous speed. It's not fair.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
MVP

jack1535's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408
So they didn't remove the spotlight? I've been trying to do spotlight on defense, but it always just ends up goofy, due to the new strat pad. Part of me had just assumed they took the spotlight out.
You dont use the strategy pad use just hold RT and pick which guy you want to spotlight.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »