Home

Fix for Pitcher's unrealistic defense

This is a discussion on Fix for Pitcher's unrealistic defense within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-13-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16
Fix for Pitcher's unrealistic defense

I really like this game overall, but one thing that has annoyed me is it seems like almost every ball hit up the middle is gobbled up by the pitcher who is somehow able to get his glove up instantly even if the ball is scorched and he has to reach back across his body for it or over his head.....which isn't very realistic and looks robotic. Yes, pitchers should occasionally snag line drives hit right back at them, but not 90% of the time.

So I went into the roster editor and turned some of the pitchers "Glove" rating all the way down to 25 as a test, and it seems to really help. Now balls hit hard up the middle are much more likely to make it through as they should, but you'll still see the pitcher catch it occasionally, so it seems much more balanced now.

I'm going to go ahead and edit all the pitcher's on my franchise team and then edit the pitchers for the other teams one at a time as I play them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

Re: Fix for Pitcher's unrealistic defense

I forgot to mention: turn down the Pitcher's Fielding Anticipation also. This almost seems more important than the Glove rating.

Last edited by jeffy777; 08-26-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

Good call...

I did that in my early roster file build, but then used another roster by 2K (I think it was their third one) and it was just too much work to do that for EVERY pitcher. But those two things do tone it down as you'll see a pitcher make 5-7 plays per game, and that's just unrealistic...
Old 08-20-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'd LOVE to do this, but good God... Doing that for every starter... every guy in the pen, and then every AAA and AA guy just for one TEAM would be a chore! Let alone doing the whole division... then the league, and then the OTHER league...
Old 08-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_j_2002
I'd LOVE to do this, but good God... Doing that for every starter... every guy in the pen, and then every AAA and AA guy just for one TEAM would be a chore! Let alone doing the whole division... then the league, and then the OTHER league...
Don't do it all at one time, do it one team at a time. Take whoever your next series is against, and edit all their major league(don't know why you'd do the minors, no one gets called up anyway most of the year) pitchers fielding down. Then when you're done with that series, edit the next teams major league pitchers. It wouldn't be too much of a hassle that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

Here's a problem, though...

The speed of the game is so fast that infield shots up the middle are so fast that the pitcher probably saves 4-6 hits a game.

Sad to say, but it's a problem that 2K needs to fix, and it's a speed-of-play issue more than anything. It's a shame it takes hours of roster editing to fix a problem that is a flaw in the game itself...
Old 08-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

It does seem like 2K has toned the pitchers amazing reflexes down to some extent with the patches but they still make a few more amazing catcher per game than they should.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke776
Don't do it all at one time, do it one team at a time. Take whoever your next series is against, and edit all their major league(don't know why you'd do the minors, no one gets called up anyway most of the year) pitchers fielding down. Then when you're done with that series, edit the next teams major league pitchers. It wouldn't be too much of a hassle that way.
Yes, this is what I do in my franchise. It only takes a couple minutes before each series (if I haven't played that team already).

And yes, I also agree that it's a speed of play issue, to some degree. But this fix does seem to help quite a bit and it makes the game a lot more enjoyable for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »