Home

Very Short 2K11 impressions

This is a discussion on Very Short 2K11 impressions within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Very Short 2K11 impressions

So I made my way to Westland, MI today to get some hands-on with 2K11.
First, whoever said they were handing out demo discs is a freakin' liar!!

I didn't get to play long (maybe 10-15 minutes) but from what I played I was very impressed.
My work buddy came too and we both commented on how good it looked for a Wii game. In fact, the two guys behind us said the same thing.

Again, I can't stress enough that my impressions are from a ridiculously small sample, but the game seems a lot like 2K10 but much smoother and clean.
The animations didn't take as long to complete and the shooting was far more responsive.

We used the Motion controls and I sucked at them. Still, I managed to score a beauty with Franzen, top-shelf, from a nice feed by Zetterberg.

I can't wait to try the full version and give it a real run-through, but from the very little I played, I had a lot of fun and noticed an improvement from 2K10.

EDIT: I loved it so much, I wrote it twice, haha. Sorry OS.

Last edited by Money99; 08-10-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: Very Short 2K11 impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99

I didn't get to play long (maybe 10-15 minutes) but from what I played I was very impressed.
My work buddy came too and we both commented on how good it looked for a Wii game. In fact, the two guys behind us said the same thing.

Again, I can't stress enough that my impressions are from a ridiculously small sample, but the game seems a lot like 2K10 but much smoother and clean.
The animations didn't take as long to complete and the shooting was far more responsive.

We used the Motion controls and I sucked at them. Still, I managed to score a beauty with Franzen, top-shelf, from a nice feed by Zetterberg.

I can't wait to try the full version and give it a real run-through, but from the very little I played, I had a lot of fun and noticed an improvement from 2K10.

If you liked 2K10 then I highly suggest you try 2K11.
Sounds decent Hank, I doubt you had time to play around with settings but did you get the impression that a sim game can be found there? Had 2k10 been polished and had some of the AI quirks fixed it actually would have been a pretty good game. Did you get the impression that 2k11 is at the least on the right track should they bring it back to 360/PS3 next year?
Old 08-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Rookie

MiNiDiTkA's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:

If you liked 2K10 then I highly suggest you try 2K11.
Thanks much for the impressions. I liked 2K10 so I'm sure I'll like this as well.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Sounds decent Hank, I doubt you had time to play around with settings but did you get the impression that a sim game can be found there? Had 2k10 been polished and had some of the AI quirks fixed it actually would have been a pretty good game. Did you get the impression that 2k11 is at the least on the right track should they bring it back to 360/PS3 next year?
I really wish I had more time to dink around with the settings and see if there are any sliders, etc. But I didn't.

And I wish I had more time with the game to dissect some of the finer points.
But what I can say is this, with 2K10, I didn't like it at all the first time I popped it into my 360. It wasn't until a few slider tweaks, and then especially the patch, that I grew to like that game.
With 2K11, I liked it instantly. It felt like 2K10 post patch, but better.
The animations seemed to be a lot smoother. You still get locked out if you're hit, but I was able to get bumped and nudged and not lose total control of my player.

I loved the goal I scored from the high slot. It hit the crossbar and in. But some may argue that the goalie was too far into his crease. Maybe. But again, it was such a small sample and even the people that were watching us play thought the goal was cool.

My biggest regret was not setting a game up for the Winter Classic. But my friend and I were in a rush and we just wanted to get into a game pronto.

Sorry I don't have more info. But Realm, I think we have similar tastes in hockey games and I think you would have fun with this game.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Thanks for the impressions. I personally found that 2k10 on the Wii controlled horribly...skating and shooting didn't seem responsive at all (awkward animations/delay/transitions). I am really hoping that they made controlling the players more responsive and smooth. Your initial impressions sound positive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhex27
Thanks for the impressions. I personally found that 2k10 on the Wii controlled horribly...skating and shooting didn't seem responsive at all. I am really hoping that they made controlling the players more responsive and smooth.
I had problems shooting too, but seeing as this was the first time I've ever played a 2K hockey game using a Wii controller, I'd say it was all me.
But the times I did figure it out, I got a great shot off - as evidenced by Franzen's goal.

I'm very interested to see how this game plays with a classic controller. That's how I'll be playing it 95% of the time anyway.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
I really wish I had more time to dink around with the settings and see if there are any sliders, etc. But I didn't.

And I wish I had more time with the game to dissect some of the finer points.
But what I can say is this, with 2K10, I didn't like it at all the first time I popped it into my 360. It wasn't until a few slider tweaks, and then especially the patch, that I grew to like that game.
With 2K11, I liked it instantly. It felt like 2K10 post patch, but better.
The animations seemed to be a lot smoother. You still get locked out if you're hit, but I was able to get bumped and nudged and not lose total control of my player.

I loved the goal I scored from the high slot. It hit the crossbar and in. But some may argue that the goalie was too far into his crease. Maybe. But again, it was such a small sample and even the people that were watching us play thought the goal was cool.

My biggest regret was not setting a game up for the Winter Classic. But my friend and I were in a rush and we just wanted to get into a game pronto.

Sorry I don't have more info. But Realm, I think we have similar tastes in hockey games and I think you would have fun with this game.
Right on, don't have a Wii and don't plan on getting one, but like you said, you and I are pretty similar in our wants and likes when it comes to NHL games so if it gets Hank's stamp of approval at least in feeling good right off the get go, I'll gladly take that as a positive sign. Now they just need to convice the higher ups that if they do the right thing and polish polish polish and properly market the title, it would actually sell on the NG/CG systems.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Right on, don't have a Wii and don't plan on getting one, but like you said, you and I are pretty similar in our wants and likes when it comes to NHL games so if it gets Hank's stamp of approval at least in feeling good right off the get go, I'll gladly take that as a positive sign. Now they just need to convice the higher ups that if they do the right thing and polish polish polish and properly market the title, it would actually sell on the NG/CG systems.
Thanks for the kind words Realm.
I actually felt the same way afterward; that if the gameplay does hold up, what a shame it couldn't be on a next-gen console and all it's HD glory.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »