Home

SuperJ's **RATINGS FIRST** Sliders

This is a discussion on SuperJ's **RATINGS FIRST** Sliders within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 16
SuperJ's **RATINGS FIRST** Sliders

I have been working on a slider theory of mine, and so far it's worked out with great success. Basically, this slider set limits the number of sliders you need to adjust, and therefore provides you with a simpler way to tune the sliders to your own ability. As stated in the title these sliders put ratings first. I believe that is what this game has been focused on and I believe that is how the game should be played; based on ratings.

I've isolated four specific sliders which can be tuned to make the CPU smarter or the human player dumber to give yourself a challenge. Please note, this IS NOT about realism, because the idea is if you tune these to give yourself the appropriate challenge then you WILL HAVE realistic results. The four sliders include, for both human and CPU:
(1) Pass Coverage
(2) Rush Defense

Why are these important? Because these sliders, in my experience, tune how smart players play. It increases or decreases the ability, for example, the cpu to jump routes or get lost in coverage, or detect a run and react to it. By adjusting these based on your playing style and ability you can EASILY give yourself a realistic challenge. If you put CPU pass coverage at 100, will they jump every route and stick with your guys? Most likely, but passing is still doable. Your looking for a challenge, and some people will be able to complete 50% of their passes and get 400+ WITH coverage at 100. Some may not. So adjust accordingly.

What about the other sliders? This is where ratings come in. Aside from a few anomalies such as a high rate of interceptions, leaving the rest of the sliders at 50 allows the cpu to play to their ratings and abilities. For example, no matter how good you are at passing, you can't influence how accurate or how hard a pass is thrown (relatively speaking). Same with running back ability. No matter what special 'moves' you pull off, they ALL depend on ratings. What determines your success at QB is your ability to read defenses or 'cheat' the cpu through your ability. Raising CPU pass coverage shrinks this threshold and gives you a better challenge without cheating cpu ratings.

Anyway, PLEASE ask questions. I could write a 10 page paper on the slider theory I got but I'll just settle with giving you all the brief version. Give them a try and adjust the 4 sliders based on your experiences. Are you just stopping the cpu running game? Then lower HUM Rush Defense by 25. Are you getting too many yards passing? Raise CPU Pass Coverage by 25.

Difficulty: All-American (Gives the CPU the best boost before ratings are changed which happen in Heisman level)
Quarter Length: 7 Minutes
Game Speed: Slow
Threshold: 0
(TRUST ME, with this theory, giving players the most separation possible in speed really makes it fun!)

RED indicates what I'm currently using for USER CHOICE. Also, I always play as a MLB so that explains why some sliders are the way they are.

QB Accuracy............50/50
Pass Blocking...........50/50
WR Catching............50/50
RB Ability.................50/50
Run Blocking.............50/50

Pass Coverage...........50(USER CHOICE)/50(USER CHOICE)
Pass Rush.................50/50
Interceptions............5/5
Run Defense.............0(USER CHOICE)/100(USER CHOICE)
Tackling...................50/50

FG Power................30/30
FG Accuracy.............50/50
Punt Power...............50/50
Punt Accuracy...........50/50
Kickoff Power.............55/55

**TIPS FOR SUCCESS**
(1) Start the sliders all at 50. Play a game and then tune by increments of 25. As you play more games adjust in smaller increments until you find the right balance.
(2) No-switch rule on offense (no user-catch) and defense. This is extremely important as it affects which sliders you need to tune. If you like to play LB then you'll most likely tune rush defense. If you like to play safety you may need to tune Pass Coverage. Switching up in game can skew the adjustments you need to make. Note for D-Lineman, you shouldn't have to make any adjustments to pass rush or pass blocking/run blocking. Since your lineman finesse moves depend on ratings, a good lineman will keep you blocked and bad one will let you through.
(3) There are some tangibles that you shouldn't be afraid to adjust, such as special teams. I found 50/50 to be fine for them all but some people like to change it up significantly. It shouldn't affect the gameplay at all other than kicks and punts.

Good luck! Leave Feedback!

**Note**

If i find anomalies while testing, for example, out of the box QB's are ALWAYS accurate passes no matter the rating, then I will adjust QB ACC to 30/30 or something. This is hypothetical, but I will keep a look out. On All-American the cpu should ALWAYS play to the same rating ability as the human so the sliders should always be even except for the four to focus on. This eliminates any rating boost or deficiency.
#1 Rule of Sliders: Realism is Relative

Last edited by superjew887; 08-12-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
MVP

GJEM's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: SuperJ's **RATINGS FIRST** Sliders

I'll give these a shot SJ, however, a quarter length is needed first.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Pro

Sorry about that. Technically it shouldn't matter, it should be set to whatever gives you the most realistic amount of plays. But I updated the first post: 7-Minutes.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

SJ, is that interception number right at 5 for both or should it be 50?
Just curious because I am basically working with default sliders since the tuner and it seems the sliders you suggest changing would fix the few things I saw wrong. I threw 3 INT's my last game, one was clearly my fault but the other 2 were kind of questionable. Looked like the DB came out of nowhere to get around my receiver to intercept the pass.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Pro

Yea its 5 for both sides. I had it at 10 and saw 4 int's in several games. A higher pass coverage leads to better recognition which leads to more int chances. Tryout 5, if you don't like it than boost it up a bit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
Pro

It looks REALLY simple, but so far I'm getting phenominal results. I may have to up INT to 10 again, but I'll see how a few more games pan out. Let me know how these are working out for you and give some suggestions if you feel any other sliders need tinkering.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:53 AM   #7
Rookie

coachchris's Arena

OVR: 6

Hey SJ, I like your thinking here and I am going to do some testing. I just played a game at default aa w/ 0 thresh and it felt pretty good. I am going to try afew games cpu/ user rush d at 75/25 with everything else default.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Super simple way to do things. This idea has worked the best for me. Getting some great games with them. I'm getting sacks and interceptions look good at 10.

I was playing with Michigan and just got upset by UCONN 25-22.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »