Home

Being in C-USA makes it rough, especially for Bowls

This is a discussion on Being in C-USA makes it rough, especially for Bowls within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Rookie

Frost33's Arena

OVR: 3
Being in C-USA makes it rough, especially for Bowls

So I left my beloved Wisconsin after winning the National Championship 3 times in 5 years and went to UAB. In my first year at UAB I won the C-USA and went to the Liberty Bowl and played the #6 SEC team Auburn (which I won with a last second field goal).

Well jump ahead one year and after a pretty good recruiting class and some lucky breaks on ratings with my 3* recruits I managed to go undefeated. Won the C-USA championship game, I'm ranked 8th in the nation but 9th in the BCS. I'm heading to the Liberty Bowl again to play the #6 team in the SEC!

I'm hoping to break into the BCS next season. Does anyone know how many good seasons it usually takes to get invited to a different conference?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Being in C-USA makes it rough, especially for Bowls

in my tulane season, i went 12-1 my first 2 years, and 14-0 my next two, never got a BCS bid and never got a conference invite.

sooooo....
Old 08-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost33
So I left my beloved Wisconsin after winning the National Championship 3 times in 5 years and went to UAB. In my first year at UAB I won the C-USA and went to the Liberty Bowl and played the #6 SEC team Auburn (which I won with a last second field goal).

Well jump ahead one year and after a pretty good recruiting class and some lucky breaks on ratings with my 3* recruits I managed to go undefeated. Won the C-USA championship game, I'm ranked 8th in the nation but 9th in the BCS. I'm heading to the Liberty Bowl again to play the #6 team in the SEC!

I'm hoping to break into the BCS next season. Does anyone know how many good seasons it usually takes to get invited to a different conference?
You didn't mention your OOC schedule... if you're playing weaker teams out of your conference, that will hurt you. Schedule some SEC, Big XII, Big 10 and PAC 10 teams and see if that helps. Of course, you have to win those games.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

Liberty Bowl has a tie-in to C-USA championship.

If you finished say 11-1 with one conference loss to a team in your division that ended up winning the division, and you still finished ranked in the top 10, you'd be much more likely to go to the BCS bowl.

No, realistically, the Liberty Bowl tie-in shouldn't prevent a C-USA team from playing in a BCS bowl, but I think it may when it comes to the game.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

I went to the National Championship game with Kent State in the 3rd year, but I scheduled top 10 teams and in my out of conference games and beat them. And I was invited to the Big 10 after 5 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

I won 3 National Championships in a row with Rice. You just have to play good teams out of conference and have some good luck.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Rookie

jayishere's Arena

I was invited to the SEC after 1 year at Troy going 11-2.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:00 AM   #8
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayishere
I was invited to the SEC after 1 year at Troy going 11-2.

This is interesting, a guy on the boards went 8-5 with MTSU, and got invited to the SEC after one year. He lost the mienke carcare bowl to VT, his other 4 losses were to UL-Lafayette, North Texas, FAU and FIU. He did beat Georgia Tech and Vandy (apparently destroyed Vandy 52-7), which are the only 2 that he felt were worth mentioning (MTSU's actual schedule has 1 tune-up game which I assume he scrapped in favor or Vandy, it also features Minnesota and Memphis). The guy apparently went 8-5 (4-4) which is never anything to write home about (sure he got some good OoC wins but at the same time he dropped 4 in a weak (no offense) conference)

Now someone using troy gets in after one year as well (this one makes a little more sense as they posted an 11-2 record), meanwhile someone loses what 4 times in 3 seasons as Tulane and they still haven't played a BCS game let alone received an invitation. Something is wrong there.

I have my bowl game left to play as Tulane, we're 13-0 C-USA champs and are stuck playing a 6-6 UF team in the Liberty Bowl, I had either a B- or a B+ schedule, my favorite game being our comeback against Ole Miss (96 yard fumble return sparked an onslaught that put me up for good when it looked like they were about to take a 13 point lead near the end of the 3rd). I thought there could be a chance that I would get an Invite, but after reading some of the other CUSA woes I'm starting to doubt that will be the case.

Regardless I just roped in a speedy 4* QB with an arm most likely on par with what my current QB has, so the future is looking bright. Does anyone know if you can get a medical red-shirt?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »