Home

WC 2010 Defense / Difficulty Tips Needed

This is a discussion on WC 2010 Defense / Difficulty Tips Needed within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 6
WC 2010 Defense / Difficulty Tips Needed

I've been playing World Cup 2010 FIFA the last month or so. My first real soccer game that I've really enjoyed and the 2 button mode really lured me in.

Well since then, I've upped it to classic controls and now am trying the Professional difficulty from semi pro.

I noticed in semi pro the cpu team is never aggressive enough when in the box and generally kicks it right to your goalie or just dribbles in the box and doesnt even shoot.

but on Pro, for me the cpu is unstoppable in the box. i know the problem is that I have no idea how to play defense in the game.

Can you guys help me out with some tips on how to play good D in this game? Whenever I try to get in front of the cpu guy, he makes a move and just gets past me. When the cpu is in the box, i suck so bad that the only way to stop him is to tackle him which results in a Penalty Kick.

Any tips on D? Also any tips on Offense as well for Professional difficulty?

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
MVP

Lecrae's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: WC 2010 Defense / Difficulty Tips Needed

Strafe and keep backing up while staying in front of the the guy on the ball (preferably a DM) and use the call 2nd defender button to provide pressure on the opponent while using your guy to watch for through balls. If the guy gets close to the goal then use your guy to do a standing tackle/sliding tackle to try and get the ball off of the attacker. You only want to call your keeper out when a clearence goes over everyone's head, an attacker has the ball on the wings in the box and there isn't another attacker that he can pass to, and on 1v1's right before he enters the box but only if you have a defender hassling him or he's knocking it on a lot (he will knock it on and your keeper will charge out and dive for the ball).
Old 08-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecrae
Strafe and keep backing up while staying in front of the the guy on the ball (preferably a DM) and use the call 2nd defender button to provide pressure on the opponent while using your guy to watch for through balls.
This is great advice and something that I've been starting to do routinely. If you dont use the call 2nd defender button, then a lot of times, if you miss the tackle with your guy he'll be in for a score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecrae
If the guy gets close to the goal then use your guy to do a standing tackle/sliding tackle to try and get the ball off of the attacker. You only want to call your keeper out when a clearence goes over everyone's head, an attacker has the ball on the wings in the box and there isn't another attacker that he can pass to, and on 1v1's right before he enters the box but only if you have a defender hassling him or he's knocking it on a lot (he will knock it on and your keeper will charge out and dive for the ball).
You're right about charging the keeper out. I rarely use the CPU charge button but sometimes I do. Sometimes I click in the right analog stick to control the goalie, but I don't do that all that much. The biggest problem I've had with FIFA is that the goalies sometimes charge out of the net even when you don't press the charge button. I fixed that for FIFA 10 PC, not sure if they improved on that in FIFA WC 2010.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
MVP

Lecrae's Arena

OVR: 16

Yeah they really need to not have the keeper run out all the time but they say they improved keeping AI
Old 08-03-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 12

The fact is that they have a goalie charge button, but not a button that sends the goalie back to the goal line. You can control the goalie by clicking in the R-stick, and move the goalkeepers where you want to, but that's a lot harder than it sounds, because to do that you have to deselect your defender who you are controlling who is trying to prevent a shot in the first place.

The biggest problem with FIFA is the fact that the goalkeepers are programmed to charge out all the time by default. This makes the game far to easy to score. I'll try to upload some videos of some saves from the CPU GKs that I have programmed into my game. They rarely come off the line, and are very smart. They only come off the line if there is a clear 1 on 1 chance with no defenders in sight. Any other situation (2 on 2, 3 on 2, 2 on 1) the goalkeepers in my game do not rush out, instead they used anchor logic and hug the post and move laterally on or near the goal line where appropriate.

By default, and in all console versions of FIFA, there are many situations, like a 2 on 2, 3 on 2, or 2 on 1 counter attack fast break where the goalie charges, and easy goals are made. This is a major problem with the FIFA engine, and again something that can only be remedied via the PC version of FIFA 10.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by simgamer0005
The fact is that they have a goalie charge button, but not a button that sends the goalie back to the goal line. You can control the goalie by clicking in the R-stick, and move the goalkeepers where you want to, but that's a lot harder than it sounds, because to do that you have to deselect your defender who you are controlling who is trying to prevent a shot in the first place.

The biggest problem with FIFA is the fact that the goalkeepers are programmed to charge out all the time by default. This makes the game far to easy to score. I'll try to upload some videos of some saves from the CPU GKs that I have programmed into my game. They rarely come off the line, and are very smart. They only come off the line if there is a clear 1 on 1 chance with no defenders in sight. Any other situation (2 on 2, 3 on 2, 2 on 1) the goalkeepers in my game do not rush out, instead they used anchor logic and hug the post and move laterally on or near the goal line where appropriate.

By default, and in all console versions of FIFA, there are many situations, like a 2 on 2, 3 on 2, or 2 on 1 counter attack fast break where the goalie charges, and easy goals are made. This is a major problem with the FIFA engine, and again something that can only be remedied via the PC version of FIFA 10.
If you double tap the triangle button this sends the GK back to the goal.

The GK rushing problem is in Fifa 10 but it was fixed for the WC 2010 game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »