Home

Gameplay Tweaks that are needed (particularly for online play)

This is a discussion on Gameplay Tweaks that are needed (particularly for online play) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-18-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
Uber Blazer/Beaver Fan

blazer003's Arena

OVR: 10
Gameplay Tweaks that are needed (particularly for online play)

Just got done playing another ranked game and there are a ton of things I like about the gameplay. I love the feeling of finding the hole for a big run up the middle, following blocks, making a pass out to a bubble screening receiver and turning it up field for a TD with a few jukes and spins thrown in along the way. But here is what's not working, but could hopefully be fixed with tweaks that realistically should be able to be released in a patch.

1. Outside run pursuit. This is probably the biggest thing. If you've played a few games online, you've probably played a player who was Wisconsin who just cuts you up with the run. The runs up the middle establish it and then next thing you know they're going for a TD on a HB pitch. After analyzing the replays, the problem is that all the blitzers and after a slight delay, everyone else, comes straight in, without regard to where the ball is or more importantly, is going. I had a safety blitzing off the edge and hit the blocker. As the HB ran right by him on the outside, he fought past the block and turned inside. No run or pass commits were used. In real life the whole defense will attempt to shift and fill the holes and get outside if they see a pitch play going.

2. Scrambling QB recognition. A few times I have seen a LB sitting in a short zone in the middle, nary a WR or HB around him to guard. Next thing you know the QB decides to scramble right up the middle. Apparently thinking the QB running at him is no threat, the linebacker continues to dutifully guard his zone until someone important comes by. The QB is 5 yards past him when he decides, ah, maybe I should get that guy. 20 yard gain, or in my case, a TD (I scrambled with a very mediocre scrambler in Ryan Katz of OSU and went right past a linebacker without him so much turning to look at me until I was already by.)

3. PA fakes. I don't know how much this needs to be tweaked, however I have a balanced offense of pass and run, and after I've run 4 plays in a row (got stuffed for 2 yards total between the first two runs, then on 3rd and 8 ran again against an unsuspecting defense looking for the pass, then ran again on 1st down to boot) I run a playaction pass and sure enough, the blitzing linebackers and safety completely ignore the RB and come straight for the QB. I'm hitting pass as soon as I release from the PA fake, but I'm hit as I'm throwing. Luckily this one lands harmlessly on the turf. But it seems very rare that the defense bites on a PA, thus defeating the point, and getting you either sacked, or hit while throwing many times.

Feel free to add tweaks and changes you'd like to see to the gameplay.

Last edited by blazer003; 07-18-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Rookie

Starfleeter's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Gameplay Tweaks that are needed (particularly for online play)

I've noticed all three and I have to say 2 and 3 are the most annoying. I can't stand it when I know a pass play is coming and choose a dime defense and then next thing I know, I see a LB just standing in the middle of the field doing nothing after 5 seconds and no pressure on the QB which allows the QB to either just run it upfield or let a WR run across the middle for a pass.

And on the PA thing, that definitely needs to be fixed. I've run 5 run plays for 7+ yards in a row and run a PA and get sacked or tipped immediately thus making it totally ineffective. The pass rush is one of the most frustrating things in the game as are the DL who are engaged in a block and somehow manage to jump right as the ball is thrown to tip it every time a short pass is tried.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Rookie

bodymore's Arena

Yeah, outside pursuit is an issue. I knew my opponent was running off tackle and sweeps, but I couldn't get any containment. Maybe I have to set something in the gameplan, but right now this is a pain.

Off-topic, what type of people have to constantly pick the number one team? I am tired of playing Alabama. Also, why does online constantly pick an opponent who has the same favorite team.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
MVP

poopoop's Arena

Outside pursuit is terrible. Playing my brother he would just run to the outside and way too often there'd just be a wide open field because my entire defense would somehow get sucked into the middle and disappear.

Only way i could stop him was to do things like blitz corners or play zone to force people to stay outside and contain. Playing zone to stop a run play doesn't even make sense to me.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 21

Wait till you play people who know how to blitz. Man defense alone dang near stops everything. Couple that with a roaming saftey or LB and mix in a Blitz and you are gonna be in for one long game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
Rookie

o 99 PROBL3MS o's Arena

OVR: 7

The biggest problem I have with online play is the "User Jump Snap" Gameplan option. It is far too effective and has little to no consequence. I have played nearly 20 games where my opponent uses this and have only drawn my opponent offised ONCE in nearly 20 games. I have gotten a false start penalty once or twice a game trying to draw them offisdes. The over effectiveness of that feature is some bs man.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

It seems like the AI in general gets sucked into the middle of the field. They cant defend teh outside because they are constantly coming up the middle. And even when they run the ball it seems like the ball carrier never cuts to the outside, even if the play is a pitch outside he cuts back up the middle.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Rookie

I will add to the list the DE Contain play which means: "DE runs outside and stands around watrching" play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »