Home

Old 07-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
CFL?

Posted this in 2k and Madden. Why not here.

"Why, when the NHL games have added EVERY single league they can, with College teams likely to be next. Has Madden not even hinted at adding the CFL? It's 6 teams, you'll get more sales with it then without it and the rules can't be that much of a problem. NHL has even made the ice surfaces bigger for international play, as well as taken out the behind the net trapezoid. Madden can add an extra down and a couple more yards. Geeze."

Does Backbreaker want a license? They could do a game with the AFL/CFL/Australian Rules/whichever other leagues in it. Pad out their numbers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: CFL?

I think it's harder to add CFL than you'd think. The game is played in an entirely different way, so the game would need a seperate set of A.I. If not, NFL teams would go for it on every 4th down, or CFL teams would punt on every 4th for instance. It's not just a case of playing on another 'field' like in hockey, the game is played much differently too.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceroik
I think it's harder to add CFL than you'd think. The game is played in an entirely different way, so the game would need a seperate set of A.I. If not, NFL teams would go for it on every 4th down, or CFL teams would punt on every 4th for instance. It's not just a case of playing on another 'field' like in hockey, the game is played much differently too.
The 4th down thing is a weak argument. It wouldn't take much more than a simple IF/THEN statement to determine whether you're playing with NFL or CFL rules and proceed accordingly. There are other differences, yes, but I don't think they're enough to be preventative.

Madden won't do CFL because they don't have to. Almost nobody in the US cares about the CFL, and outside the US, most people would rather just use NFL rules and teams. Canada may be an exception, but I would say it would be split at most. The ALF is another story. I think there's enough people (at least in the US) that care about the AFL that a Backbreaker AFL couldn't hurt sales (which are already bad enough). I think it would actually be a bit of a boon since it would be the only AFL game on the market, and the visual style of the game already lends itself to that league IMO. The problem is that, if I'm not mistaken, EA has the AFL license, they just haven't made a game since 2007(?). Kinda like the NCAA. They're not make an NCAA Basketball 11 but they still have the license so you won't see a College Hoops 2k11 either.

EDIT: Just read your comment again and not sure if you're talking about the Australian Football League or the Arena Football League. To clarify, I was talking about the Arena Football League. I don't think anybody in the US (or most other countries) would care much about the Australian Football League either.

Last edited by Card-me; 07-10-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:25 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Card-me
EDIT: Just read your comment again and not sure if you're talking about the Australian Football League or the Arena Football League. To clarify, I was talking about the Arena Football League. I don't think anybody in the US (or most other countries) would care much about the Australian Football League either.

Either one? Both? Get all the red-headed failed abortion step-children of football in one game.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper17
Posted this in 2k and Madden. Why not here.

"Why, when the NHL games have added EVERY single league they can, with College teams likely to be next. Has Madden not even hinted at adding the CFL? It's 6 teams, you'll get more sales with it then without it and the rules can't be that much of a problem. NHL has even made the ice surfaces bigger for international play, as well as taken out the behind the net trapezoid. Madden can add an extra down and a couple more yards. Geeze."

Does Backbreaker want a license? They could do a game with the AFL/CFL/Australian Rules/whichever other leagues in it. Pad out their numbers.
First off, it's 8 teams not 6 (probably 9 within the next 2 years with Ottawa getting their team back).

Second, it's much more than just one less down and a bigger field. Receivers are allowed to all be moving in motion before the snap and get a running start to the line of scrimmage, there's 12 players on the field, on punt returns you have to give the return man 5 yards before he catches the ball, there has to be a certain amount of Canadians on the field, the field goal posts are on the endzone line, the defensive line has to be 1 yard off the LOS, and there's tons more.

But yes, I would love to see the CFL in a football game. Currently I can only do that by creating teams in APF, NCAA and I'm guessing Backbreaker as well (I don't bother trying to make CFL teams in Madden because their jersey creator is horrible).

The thing is a CFL game by itself just probably isn't worth it. I know there's a few American fans and the league is just starting to get better exposure in the US now with the NFL Network deal but right now I don't think that's good enough.

Last edited by BlueNGold; 07-29-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »