Home

The future for the NBA?

This is a discussion on The future for the NBA? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
Banned

Court_vision's Arena

OVR: 25
The future for the NBA?

I saw the below post over at REALGM and summed up exactly what I've been thinking. I am posting it below to get people's thoughts.

Please NO LeBron specific talk in this thread....just purely "how will small markets / small fan bases" etc be long term? Will we see a whole era of some teams 'conceding' and simply tanking as they realise they can't beat the Heat come 2012 onwards? I just don't see any positives in this once the Celtics age (maybe they have one last run left) for the Eastern Conference and the entire L.

Post below:

This is such an abject disaster.

No 1: First off, Miami is a Dolphins town that is awful for all other pro sports. Heat aren't a huge draw, even when they had Shaq and Wade.

No. 2: It destroys hopes of NBA teams in Cleveland, Toronto, New York and New Jersey. It also harms Boston and Chicago because the team is so stacked. The Nets just got shutout. How about that Mikhail?

No. 3: The NBA needs rivalries. Celtics could beat that team, but they are declining. The Lakers have an aging Kobe Bryant. What happens when the Celts get old? The Magic and Heat battling for the ECF? THAT DESTROYS THE NBA. It makes anything North of the Florida all the way to the West Coast irrelevant.

No 4: It harms the NBA brand. LeBron and Wade need to be competitors. They should be fierce rivals that the NBA could sell. When one wins a title or Wade a second, then they can market them as all-time greats. But, together? They hurt each others legacy.

This hurts the NBA on so many fronts it is not even funny. You can just assume that Heat-Lakers is going to be some boffo revenue stream. I don't think it will be. It concentrates power to far south and lays waste to the Eastern Conference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: The future for the NBA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court_vision
I saw the below post over at REALGM and summed up exactly what I've been thinking. I am posting it below to get people's thoughts.

Please NO LeBron specific talk in this thread....just purely "how will small markets / small fan bases" etc be long term? Will we see a whole era of some teams 'conceding' and simply tanking as they realise they can't beat the Heat come 2012 onwards? I just don't see any positives in this once the Celtics age (maybe they have one last run left) for the Eastern Conference and the entire L.

Post below:

This is such an abject disaster.

No 1: First off, Miami is a Dolphins town that is awful for all other pro sports. Heat aren't a huge draw, even when they had Shaq and Wade.

No. 2: It destroys hopes of NBA teams in Cleveland, Toronto, New York and New Jersey. It also harms Boston and Chicago because the team is so stacked. The Nets just got shutout. How about that Mikhail?

No. 3: The NBA needs rivalries. Celtics could beat that team, but they are declining. The Lakers have an aging Kobe Bryant. What happens when the Celts get old? The Magic and Heat battling for the ECF? THAT DESTROYS THE NBA. It makes anything North of the Florida all the way to the West Coast irrelevant.

No 4: It harms the NBA brand. LeBron and Wade need to be competitors. They should be fierce rivals that the NBA could sell. When one wins a title or Wade a second, then they can market them as all-time greats. But, together? They hurt each others legacy.

This hurts the NBA on so many fronts it is not even funny. You can just assume that Heat-Lakers is going to be some boffo revenue stream. I don't think it will be. It concentrates power to far south and lays waste to the Eastern Conference.
I think people are overreacting a bit. I'm a Bobcats fan. I know that for the next 10 years the Heat may thrash us. But there is still that possibility...that glimmer of hope that in a seven game series, we have to take one in Miami, then when both home games in Charlotte, then gut out another win. That would be bigger than beating any other team I could think of.

If the Heat are thrilling, dominant and all that, then it is great for the NBA. Fans, and not NBA fans for the 12 years since MJ retired, will be tuning in to see which team can topple them.

I don't like the trend of teams 'tanking', clearing cap room, and going belly up for the next star player. Hopefully this summer, it taught teams not to do that because so many teams (Knicks especially) got spurned. And hopefully it taught teams to not make Cleveland's mistake and not take on terrible contracts to hinder the long term future of your franchise.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 07-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Rookie

305TillIDie's Arena

OVR: 3

I think it's a good thing for the NBA. It will be like the NBA have a "Rock Star" team, just like the Bulls in the 90's.

Is it fairweather fans in Miami? oh yeah. but This will always be a Dolphins town. Whatever the hot spot or event, people will come out. Messed up but that how it is. Hell, Im a Hurricane season ticket holeder the last 2 years, and if we have Duke, 35,000 shows up. FSU comes in, sell out. so yeah.

I will enjoy the Heat, no matter it we still had Caron Butler or Herald Minor.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
All Star

Jonesy's Arena

OVR: 27

The new CBA will probably have to take this into consideration. Maybe they could put in place a rule where only 2 max deals are allowed per team (unless you have Bird rights) to try to stop this sort of gutting a team then reloading with stars thing from happening in the future. Doesn't help stop the Heat over the next 5 years though......

Personally i think this super team in MIA could work in the nba's favor in a similar way to how the Bulls 72-10 season where the team almost became bigger than the league itself and it was like a travelling rock show going from town to town. I know Mia is a relatively small market (i saw a post saying it was the 17th largest tv market in the US) but every game they play will be an absolute sellout both home and away and they will just about be all nationally / internationally telecast.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
b**-r*y

tehova's Arena

OVR: 18

Its always been this way, ive been on record as saying the nba only needs about 8 teams, all in big markets.

Anytime a good player is in a small market, people just say "i cant wait till he gets outta there and blah blah blah"

8 teams every game on television everyones happy
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305TillIDie
I think it's a good thing for the NBA. It will be like the NBA have a "Rock Star" team, just like the Bulls in the 90's.
It's just like with music, Rock bands nowadays are nothing compared to the greats of old, just like this "Rock Star" team has nothing on the Bulls from the 90's.

The Bulls had to fight to become stars. Miami did not.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
All Star

Jonesy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehova
Its always been this way, ive been on record as saying the nba only needs about 8 teams, all in big markets.

Anytime a good player is in a small market, people just say "i cant wait till he gets outta there and blah blah blah"

8 teams every game on television everyones happy
But then there wouldn't be any "nation of Grizzlam" T?
Old 07-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
Banned

Court_vision's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy

Personally i think this super team in MIA could work in the nba's favor in a similar way to how the Bulls 72-10 season where the team almost became bigger than the league itself and it was like a travelling rock show going from town to town. I know Mia is a relatively small market (i saw a post saying it was the 17th largest tv market in the US) but every game they play will be an absolute sellout both home and away and they will just about be all nationally / internationally telecast.
That Bulls team were different IMO mate........Jordan was Godlike worldwide. No one 'hated' him and he never walked out on a team. The Bulls had Pippen, a guy who was drafted there and had gone to war with MJ for almost a decade before they won it....and then they brought in Rodman, who was a 'one off'. The ultimate freakshow in a PFs body.

It was also a different era. Even with the Bulls dominant, competition was fierce and there was genuine rivals and even hatred (Bulls v Knicks)

Now...I see no likely rivalry for years. Most of the younger stars are all so "friendly" with these three that no one is going to say "hey, you three can move aside...it's my time". Maybe Durant is the only guy out there with that killer edge. He's in a small market also though and probably 3 to 5 years off being ready to win it all.

Chris Paul.....Melo......these guys all are basically bromantic with LBJ. There's no "damm I want to win this" out there. No logical rivalry or dislike.

I saw Jeff Van Gundy interviewed and he said "the thing that strikes me is that no one wants to win it by beating another one of these guys". No one wants the challenge. This league needs smaller teams to have some sort of hope IMO and it desperately needs rivalries. So many smaller teams are going to be completely shut out over the next few years it's going to be interesting to see the damage.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »